Diesel Locomotives to be stored in Bay Head NJ

Eric Kreszl

Hello Everyone,

I found out this morning that NJ Transit will be storing 4 diesel locomotives in Bay Head Yard for parts.

The locomotives are

F40PH-2CAT's #4117 and 4118

GP40FH-2 #4140 and 4144

Here are 2 photos that was taken of the locomotives in Bay Head Yard.

http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=970231

http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=970134

Eric

You know it is funny you should mention that because I just so happenly was up in South Amboy on the Sunday after thanksgiving and saw two trains coming down the NJCL - one was an electric with an Alp-44 leading with 5 cars and the other was right next to it (almost as if it was racing it) with 4 engines and three cars. I could not get a good look at them but I could definately see that two were F40s. Wonder if this consist was the 4 you are talking about?

You know it is funny you should mention that because I just so happenly was up in South Amboy on the Sunday after thanksgiving and saw two trains coming down the NJCL - one was an electric with an Alp-44 leading with 5 cars and the other was right next to it (almost as if it was racing it) with 4 engines and three cars. I could not get a good look at them but I could definately see that two were F40s. Wonder if this consist was the 4 you are talking about?

Wow dude if only you had a camera. It could have been them. That would have been a sweet catch!

Well the funny thing is that I did have a camera and took pictures but could not get a good shot of them because of the west bound consist with the ALP and several cars were blocking the view. So I have some pictures of the commuter train with the top of some diesels. I haven't loaded them on my computer yet so I will take a look and see if I did get a good pic of the top of them - from the tops I can make an easy ID.

Well the funny thing is that I did have a camera and took pictures but could not get a good shot of them because of the west bound consist with the ALP and several cars were blocking the view. So I have some pictures of the commuter train with the top of some diesels. I haven't loaded them on my computer yet so I will take a look and see if I did get a good pic of the top of them - from the tops I can make an easy ID.

Hello Scott and welcome. It's great to be a the right place at the right time. It's bad to not have a camera like in my case a few times. I've had 2-3 blown opportunities to catch so good material. Hopefully you did manage to catch something good and we'll look forward to seeing anything that you did.

I'm usually around the NJCL only around weekends. So just seeing a multilevel on the NJCL is a good catch for me. I'm still waiting on a chance to catch the fuel trains.

Thanks for the welcome - I hope to get to those pictures by monday as I will be out of town this weekend - I just so happenly stopped up to South Amboy on that Sunday after going to Greenbergs train show in Edison and a friend of mine actually pointed the train out to me - he said "there is a train on both tracks and they are both coming towards us!"

- as for the multi level coaches - I know for a fact that they use the multi levels on the 4:55 westbound that stops in Red Bank (It stops at Red Bank at 4:55) I work in Red Bank and if I leave early or the train is late I see it as it crosses Broad St. or West Bergin Place. These trains REALLY long too. Shocked me to see them for the first time about a month ago. They always are led or pushed by an ALP-46 (I assume because they are really heavy)

Thanks for the welcome - I hope to get to those pictures by monday as I will be out of town this weekend - I just so happenly stopped up to South Amboy on that Sunday after going to Greenbergs train show in Edison and a friend of mine actually pointed the train out to me - he said "there is a train on both tracks and they are both coming towards us!"

- as for the multi level coaches - I know for a fact that they use the multi levels on the 4:55 westbound that stops in Red Bank (It stops at Red Bank at 4:55) I work in Red Bank and if I leave early or the train is late I see it as it crosses Broad St. or West Bergin Place. These trains REALLY long too. Shocked me to see them for the first time about a month ago. They always are led or pushed by an ALP-46 (I assume because they are really heavy)

Yep You are right about the Multi-level cars. They have major weight issues with these cars. Personally I'm surprised that the haven't had 2 electric locomotives on the NJCL Multi-level consists yet.:)

Eric

Yep You are right about the Multi-level cars. They have major weight issues with these cars. Personally I'm surprised that the haven't had 2 electric locomotives on the NJCL Multi-level consists yet.:)

Eric

The multilevel consist that I saw on that Friday was on 9 cars. I'm guessing that the ALP46 can handle up to that many. Remember that photo Pablo posted with that consist of 12 multlevel cars on it. That one definitely needed an extra locomotive in the back.

Eric

I don't think 11 car ML trains are necessary for the NJCL line.

As for the weight issues, NJT is lucky to have the ALP-46s because those things provide the power really needed to haul those things. One can pull 7 to 8 max and maybe a 9th. Anything more will need that extra loco.

I don't think 11 car ML trains are necessary for the NJCL line.

As for the weight issues, NJT is lucky to have the ALP-46s because those things provide the power really needed to haul those things. One can pull 7 to 8 max and maybe a 9th. Anything more will need that extra loco.

I am of course very well aware of that. If NJ Transit put a 11 car multi-level consist on the NJCL I would FLIP OUT!:)

Eric

The multilevel consist that I saw on that Friday was on 9 cars. I'm guessing that the ALP46 can handle up to that many. Remember that photo Pablo posted with that consist of 12 multlevel cars on it. That one definitely needed an extra locomotive in the back.

I remember that one it was the consist on the NEC.

Hello Everyone,

I was able to take a quick stop in Bay Head today and got some photos of the locomotives of my own.

Here are the photos.

http://erickreszl.rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=979638

http://erickreszl.rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=979639

I'm sorry about the photo quality. The lighting was not the best as it was getting dark when I was there.

Eric

Great Pictures Eric - When I lived in Brick I used to take the train from Bay Head everyday, but it was usually empty by the time I took the 7:45 out of their. It's amazing to see the way it has changed over the years. It really has provided, in my opinion, the best site for railfan pictures for the past 50 years. No where else could you get a steady progression from Camelbacks and K-4s to Trainmasters, shark noses, PA-1s and GP-7s to GP-40Ps, E8s, E7s to F40PH-2s, GP-40PHs and GP-40FHs to finally (and it will change again some day I'm sure) F40PH-2CATs, GP-40PH-2s and GP-40PH-2Bs. I have a picture that I found recently of when my dad took of me down the Bay Head Yard in what must have been 1983 or 1984 (I was 4 years old by the way). To my surprise I was able to pick out rows of NJDOT Painted E-8s in the the back ground. That is what is great about the NJCL and what keeps me drawn to it - it is alway changing and you never know what will pop up next on there - like the sudden appearance of the new Bilevel cars.

Archived