New York Metropolitan Transportation Council 2010-2035 Regional Transportation Plan

Fan Railer

I see in Page 8, for the bronx:

Amtrak – extension with 2nd Avenue subway[(Q)(T)] – exclude Metro North track.

– Co-op City service.

Are they saying the SAS could hit the Mainland[bx] and what do they mean Amtrak extension with SAS?

And wow

Extend “(D)” train to Baychester Avenue via Boston & Gun Hill Roads.
??

Extending (6) train or shuttle bus (to Co-op City).

Extension of the Second Ave Subway from 125th Street into the Bronx either to serve

Third Avenue or Co-Op City.

Now thats a good plan :(

great catch Fan Railer!

BRT must be deployed on Eleventh Avenue to service new residents.

seems good but, to bad the (7) cant be used further down.. Unless they mean the 11th Ave North of 42nd

Inadequate public transit in Downtown Brooklyn.

I agree. It's not like every single Brooklyn subway line passes through Downtown Brooklyn or anything....and don't even get me started on buses...

Should we fund a 2nd Avenue Subway? A Manhattan-centric plan. All four plans involve Manhattan!

Maybe because 2nd Ave. is in Manhattan? DERRR?????

– Make the G train both express and local.

– Make F train both express and local.

I'm really thinking these people don't know what they're talking about in some of these proposals...

The F train station at Kings Hwy, the 2 and the 5 at Flatbush Avenue and the B all need to

be improved, intermodal, and offer bus transfers.

The Brighton line is getting rehabbed...

Downtown Brooklyn is very congested, provide other modes of transportation.

Look at a map...

JFK AirTrain too slow.

Isn't it an 8 minute ride from what I heard?

Extend 2nd Ave subway as light rail or electric rail to the Bronx by Metro-North.

LOL

Flushing as potential growth area.

Growth area my ass, have these people seen Main St.?

I agree with the (F) Hillside extension idea, as well as the artics idea.

Improve transit connection between east Queens and the N and W lines (Queensboro

Plaza).

It's called the <7> train...

Reactivate connection between the R and V lines at Queens Blvd and the A line at Rockaway Blvd (Rockaway Branch).

What do they mean by this?

Just a lot of my thoughts while reading this.

I agree. It's not like every single Brooklyn subway line passes through Downtown Brooklyn or anything....and don't even get me started on buses...

Maybe because 2nd Ave. is in Manhattan? DERRR?????

I'm really thinking these people don't know what they're talking about in some of these proposals...

The Brighton line is getting rehabbed...

Look at a map...

Isn't it an 8 minute ride from what I heard?

LOL

Growth area my ass, have these people seen Main St.?

I agree with the (F) Hillside extension idea, as well as the artics idea.

It's called the <7> train...

What do they mean by this?

Just a lot of my thoughts while reading this.

For the (R) and (V) i think they mean allow passengers to transfer between each. As well as (A) Lefferts/Mott/RKWAY PK? Dunno sounds werid..

are these plans officially from the city/state, or some drugged up group made this ? lol

it appears this group doesn't incorperate feasability studies into the process before listing out whatever pops into their minds. they also like to make city transit so redundant that if these ideas were put into effect, the (MTA) would probably go bankrupt (or we would see overall service cuts, union strikes and unacceptable fare hikes).

it's funny too, since the group has a fairly official sounding name, while their planners are apparently no better or smarter than the people who randomly post service increase ideas every so often here.:(

This is definitely a very impulsive plan:

• Every skip-stop service slows down service

• Cross Harbor Tunnel is not needed as the service along the Bay Ridge Branch is very light

• SIRT to Newark is a laugh as every knows that third rail will soon be ancient in new systems as they only have DC capability

• How will the Rockaway Beach Branch be reactivated under LIRR when you have a perfectly good subway running south of Ozone Park? It's either build a serparate viaduct and 2 new drawbridges, or build a flying Jct south of Ozone Park, use the express tracks, and convert the subway to 750v DC. The latter can also solve the problem of bringing NTTs to the Rockways, but also introduces a new problem that all B division subway cars need to be FRA regulated.

• The Lincoln Tunnel is heavy enough during the Rushes. Dedicating a bus tube will only cause further congestions unless the "newest tube" is dedicated to inbound traffic, while the oldest tube is dedicated to outbound traffic. But then again, each tube leads into a different street and the plan will end the distributions of inbourd and outbound traffic.

• This I like: The Brooklyn Bridge needs to be converted to 2 lanes to widen up the lanes.

People fail to realize that manhattan is prone to massive crowding, because people go there from other places , it is a major connecting point between NYC and the rest of the country, it also connects via (1)(2)(3)(4)(5)(6)(7)(A) (;)(C)(D)(E)(F)(J)(L)(M)(N)(Q)(R)(V)(W)(Z) and LIRR and MNRR the rest of the city. So these "manhattan centric" plans, are not manhattan centric, they affect the entire city and surrounding metro area.

- A

This is definitely a very impulsive plan:

• Every skip-stop service slows down service

• Cross Harbor Tunnel is not needed as the service along the Bay Ridge Branch is very light

• SIRT to Newark is a laugh as every knows that third rail will soon be ancient in new systems as they only have DC capability

• How will the Rockaway Beach Branch be reactivated under LIRR when you have a perfectly good subway running south of Ozone Park? It's either build a serparate viaduct and 2 new drawbridges, or build a flying Jct south of Ozone Park, use the express tracks, and convert the subway to 750v DC. The latter can also solve the problem of bringing NTTs to the Rockways, but also introduces a new problem that all B division subway cars need to be FRA regulated.

• The Lincoln Tunnel is heavy enough during the Rushes. Dedicating a bus tube will only cause further congestions unless the "newest tube" is dedicated to inbound traffic, while the oldest tube is dedicated to outbound traffic. But then again, each tube leads into a different street and the plan will end the distributions of inbourd and outbound traffic.

• This I like: The Brooklyn Bridge needs to be converted to 2 lanes to widen up the lanes.

Skip stop works when there is express tracks in the skip stop area.

Cross harbor tunnel will shorten the time needed to bring freight into NYC and lessening truck traffic.

SIR is not going to NJ, if anything it will connect to PATH or HBLR over a bridge.

LIRR re-activated on rockaway branch means they will also re-open 4 stations.

Bus tubes will force people to realize that driving 100% of the time is a bad idea and maybe it will help take some cars and lessen that crunch so it's not even there.

Brooklyn bridge needs fewer cars as it gets older & older.

- A

I agree with building a new Rosebank station for the (SIR), but where will it go? It could stop at the SIE at Narrows Road with exits at the North lane and South Lane, but that's just my say.

The North Shore branch does need to be reopened.

If you ask me, a tunnel should be built between Staten Island and lower Manhattan—the plan points out that there ins no good connection between Midtown Manhattan and SI, but now even between Lower Manhattan and SI. There should be a tunnel for both buses and trains built between SI and Manhattan instead, which could have all the SI routes rerouted without having to pass through Brooklyn, and maybe even have the (1) train come to Staten Island. Again, just my say. The ferry is too unreliable as even during rush hours it runs every 15 minutes and its a 20-25 minute ride, and the express buses have to deal with traffic as well on the Gowanus.

I agree with building a new Rosebank station for the (SIR), but where will it go? It could stop at the SIE at Narrows Road with exits at the North lane and South Lane, but that's just my say.

The North Shore branch does need to be reopened.

If you ask me, a tunnel should be built between Staten Island and lower Manhattan—the plan points out that there ins no good connection between Midtown Manhattan and SI, but now even between Lower Manhattan and SI. There should be a tunnel for both buses and trains built between SI and Manhattan instead, which could have all the SI routes rerouted without having to pass through Brooklyn, and maybe even have the (1) train come to Staten Island. Again, just my say. The ferry is too unreliable as even during rush hours it runs every 15 minutes and its a 20-25 minute ride, and the express buses have to deal with traffic as well on the Gowanus.

PATH to exp, HBLR to 34th street, (MTA) bus to staten island.

- A

Then that means they'll have to build 2 expensive Manhattan to Staten Island tunnels.

Not necessarily, building immersed tunnels like the 63rd Street tunnel was built is a cheaper alternative than the rest of the tunnels of the subway, which are built under the riverbed.

Then the South Ferry-St. George Tunnel is gonna be a longer version of the 63rd St Tunnel then. This should be looked at in the future timing. The (1) should be able to go to St. George at least.

I still think that there should be a rapid transit connection between Staten Island and Manhattan. If tourists want something scenic, they can get a loop South Ferry-Jersey City-Staten Island-Brooklyn waterfront service. Staten Island is basically the stepchild of the city, and pretty much always has been.

Then the South Ferry-St. George Tunnel is gonna be a longer version of the 63rd St Tunnel then. This should be looked at in the future timing. The (1) should be able to go to St. George at least.

Extending the (1) to Totenville is going to make it an extra-long local and possibly contribute to driver fatigue. I agree that the (1) should stop at St George if a tunnel from Manhattan to SI is ever built.

Anyway, these seem to be just casual suggestions or comments stemming from some kind of public discussion the NYMTC apparently held. As the article says,

From September-October of 2008, NYMTC conducted a series of public workshops to better ascertain the transportation needs of the NYMTC region and to complement previous public outreach efforts. Generally, separate afternoon and evening workshops were held on the same day in order to increase opportunities for public input. Workshops were held in each of the ten NYMTC counties (the five boroughs of New York City and the suburban counties of Nassau, Suffolk, Westchester, Rockland and Putnam).

I doubt publication of some comments from the general, lay public implies any form of endorsement from this NYMTC group or anybody else. This is just a quickly written list of what came out of their workshops, with little or nothing having been edited or put into context. Since this is very much a "grievance and suggestions" bulletin board and not a basis for action, it will have many aspects of a "fantasy forum". Anyone attempting to act on these suggestions would probably need to eliminate 80-90% of the ideas before going into some sort of feasibility study for the rest.

Archived