Question about Sutter Avenue/Rutland Road (3 train)

Tinamarie

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You must have that olive to golden brown skin color then........

Just be careful, and I'll send Julio, Harry, and SubwayGuy, along with your boyfriend, as your bodyguards.......

As for me, I would go, but I have others who want to take my money already........

I'll just need to borrow your brake handle of course. :cool:

Hey what about me??? Lmao

I'll be armed with a skateboard, thank you very much! Lol...I've been through the area a few times and it is sketchy, but what's important is to be aware of your surroundings at all times.

Maybe this is why your teacher came up with this project, so that his students would stop believe misconceptions about certain neighborhoods being so bad that you'll either get A. stabbed B. Shot C. Mugged or D. all of the above. Crime happens in every neighborhood.

That's good, safety always comes in numbers. ;)

Those are the two best points I've read in this thread. I work all throughout Brooklyn, in the streets and in the parks, and I'd like to think I know the borough fairly well. I'll be honest with you - it have just as, and in some cases, more difficult of a time driving and working in the so-called "affluent neighborhoods," such as Brooklyn Heights, Fort Greene and Cobble Hill, as I do in the "'hoods," Brownsville being categorized as one. I see debris on the streets and drug paraphenalia in the parks in all neighborhoods. I see people arguing, hear people cussing, dodge sketchy characters and avoid rude people all over. Conversely, I also chat, work for and joke with people here, there and everywhere. I don't have a problem with anyone simply because I try to offer the same amount of respect that I'd like others to grant me. I don't stare at people, I don't tell people off and I ignore any and all negativity thrown at me - simple common sense. Those co-workers of mine who act in the same fashion are generally afforded the same results.

From what I understand, neighborhoods today are much more diverse and much safer than they've been in years and years. Still, with 8.5+ million people living within 305 square miles and a population density approaching 30,000 per square mile, you're bound to encounter a few rotten fruit in this huge bowl, and those rotten fruit can exist anywhere.

Personally, whenever I go to a new neighborhood, I try to have either a companion or a good clue of where I am, where I have to go, how to get there and how to get back, or both, and I almost never bring a map with me. If I do, it's not broken out with scores of people surrounding me - I'm just looking for beggars, panhandlers and other people trying to gravitate towards me. If you doubt that theory, go stand out on any major street or corner, hold a subway map in the open, and look as if you're trying really hard to figure it out. Let me know how that's working out for you after an hour.

The most important tip is to not travel alone if possible. Race, gender and looks don't play nearly as much of a role as the size of the group you're with. Anyone who walks down the street alone is a much greater magnet for attention than a group of people. Just remember - one wolf howls to attract the prey, and the rest of the pack close in on the prey and pounce on it to kill it. You rarely, if ever, see a pack of wolves attack a group of animals just as large in number.

And if you travel at night, stay in well-lit areas.

As long as you don't act better than everyone else and as long as you don't make yourself too visible, you generally won't have issues in ANY neighborhood.

Thanks!

Again, I'm not traveling there by myself. If I have to, I'm taking a cab from her house to my house and vice versa. I'm not going to go anywhere besides her house. The professor said to even explore your partner's neighborhood, but I don't think I want to even do that.

I'll keep everyone posted and updated about how things went!

all this back and forth and she has not gone yet?? bella got a move on already!!!

Yeah here's the funny thing...I emailed her about it, but she has not responded to me. She hasn't even talked to me in class. I wouldn't be surprised if she didn't want to go to my neighborhood as much as I don't want to go to hers. I think nobody wants to do this project. I was talking to the guy next to me and his partner is in Bedford-Stuy and one girl was complaining that we have to go to some person's house that we hardly know. I do know enough about her neighborhood though to write about it and the project is due Oct 28th so I still have time to go there since she hasn't contacted me yet about it.

I don't know if anyone else has noticed this, but I've found that a lot of people (especially here in NY) are very weary about going into any other neighborhoods other than ones they are specifically familiar with (not counting the CBD in Manhtn). Doesn't matter whether it has a bad reputation or not. Some of my friends wouldn't come to Bay Ridge if I paid them, and it's not like there's anything to be afraid of there. So I'm not surprised that this project isn't generating much excitement.

I don't know if anyone else has noticed this, but I've found that a lot of people (especially here in NY) are very weary about going into any other neighborhoods other than ones they are specifically familiar with (not counting the CBD in Manhtn). Doesn't matter whether it has a bad reputation or not. Some of my friends wouldn't come to Bay Ridge if I paid them, and it's not like there's anything to be afraid of there. So I'm not surprised that this project isn't generating much excitement.

Bay Ridge is very relaxed and laid back.

I agree totally! I never even been to Bay Ridge at all. I really don't like going to a new neighborhood UNLESS I'm with someone or I heard REALLY nice things about it.

I agree totally! I never even been to Bay Ridge at all. I really don't like going to a new neighborhood UNLESS I'm with someone or I heard REALLY nice things about it.

Well believe me, Bay Ridge is REALLY nice. You should also try Staten Island, particularly the areas along South Beach, the CSI campus and the mall.

Well believe me, Bay Ridge is REALLY nice. You should also try Staten Island, particularly the areas along South Beach, the CSI campus and the mall.

I heard it is nice. ;) and I been to the Staten Island Mall. It took me a long time to get there, but it's nice.

Actually, I enjoy visiting neighborhoods. Each time I come back to New York, I try to visit at least one new one and revisit one old one.Great way to combine railfanning, walking and seeing something new.

Staten Island I've only been to once and Queens, I've only been around the subway's reach but I'm beginning to learn the Queens bus routes.

Manhattan, The Bronx and Brooklyn I've been all over.

Or just twitch a lot and talk to yourself. No one f**ks with crazy white people.

I do, but then again I'm crazy myself at times.........

The DOB goes anywayzzzz he pleases........

Not surprising since Bay Ridge is a long way from Queens. I personally like seeing other parts of the city, but it's not for everyone.

Actually, I enjoy visiting neighborhoods. Each time I come back to New York, I try to visit at least one new one and revisit one old one.Great way to combine railfanning, walking and seeing something new.

:tup::tup::tup:

Staten Island I've only been to once and Queens, I've only been around the subway's reach but I'm beginning to learn the Queens bus routes.

Manhattan, The Bronx and Brooklyn I've been all over.

It depends on the reputation of the neighborhood. I know every neighborhood has its good and bad, but when you hear it's a really bad neighborhood, I don't really want to step foot in it.

One time actually my boyfriend and I decided to go on a random train and a random stop so we decided to take the (;) or (D) I forgot which one it was and we got off at Atlantic Avenue and we went to that mall that was there and we both never been there before so it was a cool experience.

I don't think is that ppl. are wary about it, as much as it people not being familiar with an area...

You can be unfamiliar w/ an area, and still be open to venturing into it...

The feeling of being lost/helpless isn't a good feeling at all... and worse, some people feel as if they're putting themselves at bay (at some perceived risk of danger), if they even ask someone for directions....

Same here. Even though for some, it wasn't the best experience, it's always interesting to see the diversity! I couldn't ever stay in one part of the city and not know where to go. Actually just from this thread I can somewhat tell that I've probably seen more neighborhoods than the average New Yorker. And that's why I think the project given to you is good in some ways.

I actually learned the whole subway system while in school because I had a free bus and subway pass. I learned new neighborhoods, met people from different backgrounds and tasted many different types of foods during that time. When I became a C/R it made my job much easier to do.

Archived