Question about Sutter Avenue/Rutland Road (3 train)

Tinamarie

Hey everyone! Just wanted to give a little update on things. I'm going to her neighborhood next Friday. I'm taking a cab to her house. We are going to walk together around her neighborhood and she is going to show me around so I can know what to write for my paper. I am also going to go home by cab. I asked her about her neighborhood and the way it seems, it sounds like any other neighborhood. I'm also going there around 1pm, so it'll still be plenty of light outside.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply
LOL it's ok. I'm fine taking a cab. I really hope this will be the last time I'm venturing to this neighborhood though.

Probably why you should ride the subway there with someone so you can stop being so afraid.

There's honestly no one I know I can go with. All my friends don't even want to step foot in this neighborhood. My boyfriend has school so my best bet is to take a cab back and forth. Plus I really don't want to bring friends with me while my partner is showing me her neighborhood, she might feel weird.

I'm a 10 minute walk away from a Queens station via the (M) line.

I have no idea if she has any worries about my neighborhood. She has never been there before either. The difference is that my neighborhood doesn't have a bad reputation like her neighborhood.

I'm a 10 minute walk away from a Queens station via the (M) line.

I have no idea if she has any worries about my neighborhood. She has never been there before either. The difference is that my neighborhood doesn't have a bad reputation like her neighborhood.

Neighborhood reputations are like people stereotypes, it's BS. Why do you think your neighborhood is better?

I didn't say it was better. I'm just talking about reps. It's just unsettling to hear bad things about her neighborhood and then with mine, things DO happen. It's just my neighborhood isn't known for a high crime rate/murder rate. It just doesn't have THAT kind of rep. People unfortunately do go by reputations with the neighborhood. Once I told my friends I was going over there, they were like scared for me or something.

Once I told my friends I was going over there, they were like scared for me or something.

The times I've spent upstate (Greene County in the mountains) just telling some folks that you're from Brooklyn is enough to make people scared for me. Sometimes followed up by, "oh, is it scary". or similar. In all fairness, some of these people have only been to NYC on rare occasions, and when they did I'm sure they didn't go far from the Theater District or Rockefeller Center, maybe with a quick ride on the Grand Central (S). It's safe since it doesn't go to Brooklyn or the Bronx. ;)

Yeah that's true. For some reason Brooklyn and Bronx have a bad reputation. It seems most neighborhoods in NYC have bad reps! Some parts in Queens have bad reps and so do some parts of Manhattan and Staten Island even.

SI deserves it though. Ain't nothing but a bunch of guidos over there.

Some parts of Queens too. I'm Sicilian, but I am not some guidette.

Queens doesn't smell like trash though, SI is just horrid. I like the use of "guidette".

My family hails from just across the Strait of Messina in Calabria.

Hehe. Guidette is the female version of guido. It's not really used much. I admit when I took a SI bus for the first time, some parts looked bad. Maybe because that day it was raining so Idk if that has anything to do with it.

Ahh a fellow Italian, CIAO. ;)

This reminds me of a convo I had with these 2 girls that live in my neighborhood. 1's indian and the other jewish and both were terrified of taking the (F) to school because they had to go thru Jamaica. Mind you our HS was in the Bronx and they were scared to walk around by school. Me I'm more scared walking by my own house than in the Bx because I always get dirty looks.

Ok so I'm off to Brownsville today. Wish me luck! I'm wearing my worst outfit and I'm not going to look rich at all. LOL I'm still extremely nervous though and I hope things go well. I'll probably update about this thing when I get back.

Good luck!!! :P

Ok so I'm off to Brownsville today. Wish me luck! I'm wearing my worst outfit and I'm not going to look rich at all. LOL I'm still extremely nervous though and I hope things go well. I'll probably update about this thing when I get back.

Enjoy the ride out there. And you'll be fine. Looking forward to your debriefing.

Archived