Proof for R160B option III possibility

Fan Railer

it is already known that the R179 is to replace the R44, whether it is 75 or 60 ft, is to be determined when the MTA finalizes the design specs.

Option three is basically increasing service for future QBL CBTC on the (F)

and Canarsie line on the (L)

Dude, The R179 order (if happens) will be 60 feet, I don't care what comes as long as the R44's are gone.

it is already known that the R179 is to replace the R44, whether it is 75 or 60 ft, is to be determined when the MTA finalizes the design specs.

I don't care what anyone says, the R179s are not going to be 75 feet long. I don't care if they were to be given ten doors instead of eight to compensate for door loss or even if they were painted purple!

As somebody who has seen the design drawings for the R179, I can say that it could be 75 feet long(Yes, I have seen such a drawing). It could also be 60 feet long(Yes, I have also seen such a drawing).

The final decision has not yet been made.

As others have pointed out, At the moment, the intention is for them to be 60 feet long. Such a decision is not yet final.

Lol, this is another one of those threads...

IMO the R44 is in better shape than the 32s. I've read that the 32s are so bad to the point their messing up (C) service, trains have to be taken OOS due to many cars with broken A/C, TWO C/Rs had to be sent to the hospital because of working in hot cars, one trainset could'nt leave the yard because of an smoke condition. Mind you, when a train has to be taken OOS they have to extend the headway on an route, I might have expained that wrong but oh well sue me. I'm not hearing these things happening to the R44s. The 44s are doing fine I hear they are outperforming the all R32-R42, R46 and even the R142A in MDBF. Not to mention that these cars are 37 years old and run on the longest line in the system. You gotta give the R44 its props. :cool:

Also, correct me if I'm wrong but ain't the (A) a high seniority route? I always see old T/Os and C/R working that route (No offense to anybody thats old). Anyways if the R44s on the (A) are that bad they could pick another route with better equipment?

As somebody who has seen the design drawings for the R179, I can say that it could be 75 feet long(Yes, I have seen such a drawing). It could also be 60 feet long(Yes, I have also seen such a drawing).

The final decision has not yet been made.

As others have pointed out, At the moment, the intention is for them to be 60 feet long. Such a decision is not yet final.

dude, where do see this stuff?

Future QBL CBTC will be done by the option I & option II orders of both the

R160A-2 and R160B.

ENY would get the option I R160A-1 which would be CBTC ready for use

on the (L).

Dear god (MTA)! You can about Budget yet your going to buy over 200 more R160A/B cars when your have like more 1,500 already in service or soon to be in service.
No one said the (MTA) is buying any more R160s. Just because this third option order (from March mind you) exists doesn't mean it has to be acted upon, and as Art Vandelay said there's no need to anymore.

I have to agree with 33rd street about the condition of the R44s. being a daily rider in rockaway, i dread riding those cars when it rains! water all inside the cars dripping from the ceilings! The r40 slants were practically held together by duct tape and were drier inside that the 44s are.

What is your reason? You've already said that twice. And 33rd St, I don't think there will be any regrets as they never regretted retiring the reliable R38s.

The R38s retired because it was their time. They retired at 41.5, and so did the R40s. I can see the R44s seeing life until 2012, the latest. They'll be 41 at the time they retire, just like many of the post R32 B Division fleet is experiencing.

Where's your "Thank" button where you need it. That is one of many factors on why it would be pointless to SMS the R44's. I've heard the TA is desperate to get rid of them.

Expect them to be gone by 2010, or 2011 the latest. They really would be wasting time giving them a tune-up, as mechanics would say.

Where's your "Thank" button where you need it. That is one of many factors on why it would be pointless to SMS the R44's. I've heard the TA is desperate to get rid of them.

IMO, the only 44s that should get the SMS are SIs. They are in way better condition than the TAs. Ive been told for about 4 years now from a friend whos a T/O the same about wanting them to go. And hes credible because ive known him since H.S. As far as the topic of a 3rd option order, a report from may within the TA can no longer be credible. I myself have posted 2 times on the speculation of the 179 order being changed. They cant make up their minds so we shouldnt go on something over 5 months old.

The R38s retired because it was their time. They retired at 41.5, and so did the R40s. I can see the R44s seeing life until 2012, the latest. They'll be 41 at the time they retire, just like many of the post R32 B Division fleet is experiencing.

No, the R38s retired b/c they were out of parts and the roofs were horrible.

IMO, the only 44s that should get the SMS are SIs. They are in way better condition than the TAs. Ive been told for about 4 years now from a friend whos a T/O the same about wanting them to go. And hes credible because ive known him since H.S. As far as the topic of a 3rd option order, a report from may within the TA can no longer be credible. I myself have posted 2 times on the speculation of the 179 order being changed. They cant make up their minds so we shouldnt go on something over 5 months old.

Staten Island's R44s are still undergoing SMS and those cars can last! But our R44s are doing terrible and they are not gonna see the new decade for long, trust me.

No, the R38s retired b/c they were out of parts and the roofs were horrible.

Even so, it was time for them to go anyway. Even if they were out of parts won't be a factor of why a car gets retired...they can always order more if they wanted to. But they didn't because the car is past 40, it probably failed some tests to see if they could last longer and they decided it was their time.

Archived