Why some neighborhoods are w/o Public Transit

FamousNYLover

I am not show this goes to off-topic lounge or transit section.

I was wondering why some neighborhood without subway, lightrail or bus.

For example:

Rockaway County- Roxbury Point and Breezy Point. Q22 and Q35 only goes far as Beach 169th St with no service west of B 169th St.

Westchester County like Bedford, North Castle, Somer.

If there was someone moving to neighborhood that has no transportation, and without car, how does people get around?

I just curious because I am sure no one cannot walk from B 169th St to Beach 227th St-Breezy Point.

This is pure speculation on my part, but I think Breezy Point has to be full of NIMBYs, because not even the Q22 goes out that far, which means pretty much everyone there drives unless they have a private bus service or something. If they wanted bus service, they could have cried out for it by now.

If there was someone moving to neighborhood that has no transportation, and without car, how does people get around?

[/b]

Why would you move to a place you know you couldnt get around in? if you had no car and knew there was no bus or subway service.

The people there probably have cars to get around with.

Breezy Point is an private neighborhood where you must pass a 24 hour guardhouse in order to even enter it. Because of its exclusivity (not necessarily richesse), it is a given that a car is a 100% must in order to live there. You don't want to drive? Fine. Just walk to Beach 169th St. Hope you don't live in the 200's.

No one in those parts of the Rockaways wants any public transport and the increase in population this brings or any other form of outside interference. Breezy Point and Roxbury are run by the Breezy Point Cooperative, which is owned privately by the locals and provides municipal services such as waste disposal. Basically they are gated communities. Most locals own cars, prefer to drive and pay tolls, and have fast access to Brooklyn and Manhattan via the Gil Hodges Memorial Bridge and Flatbush Avenue.

Even though Q22 does go to B169th, it runs mostly or entirely empty west of Beach 125th St or so. The QM16 express bus does start at B149th St, so if residents don't want to drive to Manhattan they need to get to B149th and take the express bus.

Only a few people other than residents have access to the Breezy Point Cooperative area. A neighbor of ours, who is an Atlantic Express school bus driver, is one of them. As this NYT article points out, those folks in Breezy Point just love their privacy.

http://www.nytimes.com/1984/09/10/nyregion/a-cooperative-on-the-beach-loves-privacy.html

Those moving to the neighborhood do so in the knowledge that there is no public transit, and probably because they WANT to live a suburban, commute-by-car lifestyle. And as far as I know, the Rockaways numbering system ends at Beach 222nd; there is no Beach 227th St.

Breezy Point is an private neighborhood where you must pass a 24 hour guardhouse in order to even enter it. Because of its exclusivity (not necessarily richesse), it is a given that a car is a 100% must in order to live there. You don't want to drive? Fine. Just walk to Beach 169th St. Hope you don't live in the 200's.

Sea Gate at the tip of Coney Island is the same way too. Many years ago (1900's) they had trolley service. Unlike Breezy, I think there is abus line that stops near the main gate.

I think Breezy residents get some of the money they spend on the bridge back?

Many Suburban areas dont rely on Transit they use cars to get on and off or Commuter railroad.. When living in a City, Transit is always available. Depends!

Go to Miami, FL all houses there except the Downtown part and buses dont run during the night

Typically, when a person moves to these areas, they are aware that there is no public transportation, and therefore will purchase a car.

These neighborhoods are usually exclusive and very rural, and citizens will prefer to keep it that way. Public transportation will increase accessibility, which will bring in a new demographic. This new demographic will likely change the neighborhood, and upset many residents who prefer things the way that they are.

I been in breezy point before and I don't remeber seeing a safe place for the bus to turn around so I don't think they could extend the Q22 there even if they wanted to. Also, people living in Breezy Point might be racist, mind you the Q22 goes though the hood and they wound'nt those people from there in there neighborhood. When I went though there I did not see any Black people, not even one. I've never been in Seagate but I've been in the area around it is inner city-ish and its even harder to get inside Seagate wheres anybody can go in Breezy Point. I admit I didn't try to go inside Seagate I was in that area for another reason but I do remeber the enterence to it was fenced up and they had a guard booth.

I been in breezy point before and I don't remeber seeing a safe place for the bus to turn around so I don't think they could extend the Q22 there even if they wanted to. Also, people living in Breezy Point might be racist, mind you the Q22 goes though the hood and they wound'nt those people from there in there neighborhood. When I went though there I did not see any Black people, not even one. I've never been in Seagate but I've been in the area around it is inner city-ish and its even harder to get inside Seagate wheres anybody can go in Breezy Point. I admit I didn't try to go inside Seagate I was in that area for another reason but I do remeber the enterence to it was fenced up and they had a guard booth.

Riffraff is colorless. And if I lived in one of those areas, I'd want to keep the riffraff out too.

I am not show this goes to off-topic lounge or transit section.

I was wondering why some neighborhood without subway, lightrail or bus.

For example:

Rockaway County- Roxbury Point and Breezy Point. Q22 and Q35 only goes far as Beach 169th St with no service west of B 169th St.

Westchester County like Bedford, North Castle, Somer.

I just curious because I am sure no one cannot walk from B 169th St to Beach 227th St-Breezy Point.

NIMBYism, plain & simple. (F) was PLANNED to go up to bayside in the 1929? plan.. Residents said 'Nope. we like it just the way it is..'

NIMBYism, plain & simple. (F) was PLANNED to go up to bayside in the 1929? plan.. Residents said 'Nope. we like it just the way it is..'

Although I think we all agree that NIMBYs who move to former industrial areas and moan are obnoxious and should have researched their real estate options better, a "1929 NIMBY" might be a different story. I think to a degree it was class-ism, I read somewhere that Robert Moses built his "parkways" without access to commercial vehicles with the thought in mind that buses couldn't travel on them - keeping his parks exclusive. The little areas where there's no public transportation within the boroughs is pretty small to me, and you gotta respect whatever a locally-controlled community wants to do.

Archived