West Hempstead-Valley Stream Service Suspended

SevenEleven

Tuesday, September 1, 2009 10:30 PM

West Hempstead Branch Customers:

Service is suspended on the West Hempstead branch in both directions due to power problems. The LIRR is in the process of ordering buses to accommodate customers from Valley Stream to West Hempstead. We anticipate that buses will be in place within 45 minutes.

Man that sucks. I was stuck on a LIRR train once, diesel had to come out & move us into some station i forget the name of & we waited there till another train came. I think the wait was like 45 minutes, or i could be confusing that wait time with another that was like an hour 30. *remembering* no the long wait was at forrest hills when 10 trains bypassed. You know, just because there's subway service near a LIRR station doesnt mean you can bypass it 65% of the time. :mad:

More & more people are using rail & mass transportation in general, so ridership figures from even 6-8 months ago may be lower than what it s now. Some :septa: trains can get pretty empty, but peak hours, watch out!

- A

The W.H. branch might not be packed, but people do still use it. As far as late night runs go, I'm sure there's only a few people on the train... yeah. I'm almost surprised the Far Rockaway branch that runs near me gets the hourly service intervals it does during the night-time. (With the exception of roughly two hour intervals between 1 and 5 am.) Even getting on the train at around 10pm or after, especially on a weekday, there might be me and one other person at the station - and I find they generally use six M7 car sets with sometimes only one set of two not being "dark." There's about five people on the train, literally.

Archived