Nice Curves

EE Broadway Local

These are some of my favorite curves (particularly for trainspotting):

Crescent Street (J)(Z)

My all-time favorite. The (J) and (Z) transition from Fulton Street to Jamaica Avenue using a portion of Crescent Street.

Whitlock Avenue (6)

Nice view to the west where the (6) and <6> curve onto Westchester Avenue then cross the Bronx River.

Myrtle Avenue (J)(M)(Z)

Always fun to watch the (M) transition from the Broadway (Brooklyn) El to the Myrtle Avenue El, crossing the (J)(Z) at grade. Until October 4, 1969 the (MJ) stopped on the upper level enroute to Bridge-Jay Streets Terminal.

Eighteenth Avenue (D)(M)

Nice curve where The West End transitions from New Utrecht Avenue to 86th Street.

East Tremont Avenue-West Farms Square (2)(5)

Nice curve that brings the (2) and (5) to East 180th Street/Morris Park Avenue as the line skirts Bronx Park and Zoo.

Queensborough Plaza (N)(W)(7)<7>

Nice curve in Long Island City. From Queensborough Plaza, the (N) and (W) access the Astoria El and the (7) and <7> access the Flushing Line.

City Hall (R)(W)

15th Street-Prospect Park (F)(G)

Two fun underground curves.

Honorable Mention:

Hammel's Wye

Neat and fun wye where the (A) turns toward Mott Avenue-Far Rockaway or Broad Channel and the (H) (and (A)) turn toward Beach 116th Street-Rockaway Park or Broad Channel. The Wye also was used by the Rockaways Round Robin.

May I add some?

Saratoga Av (3): depending on your T/O, this can be speedy or very slow. But, trainspotting from the downtown platform always provides a great shot.

Dyckman St (1): trains always come in super fast to this station downtown.

59th St-Columbus Circle on the express tracks (1)/(2)/(3): ever since this section was redone, the express is a lot more smooth, but back in the '90s and early 2000s, you would be thrown around going 40 and above, and it was very fun. It still is today, even with the smoothness.

I like all of your choices too.

I like the curvy track section between Hoyt-Schermerhorn Streets and Lafayette Avenue on the (A) and (C). If you look through the front of the train whole holding on to the door handle, the train will rocket through the section and the swaying and shaking of the train is what I like best. But it's only good going to Queens via express or to Manhattan via local, although the Queens local will have the same feeling if it picks up enough speed.

I'd say any curve on the IND. Just about every curve can be taken at 20 mph or higher. This is unlike most places on the IRT and BMT especially in lower Manhattan were some IRT and BMT trains crawl thru sharp turns.

I couldn't agree any more.

For some off the top of my head:

104th Street Oxford Avenue (A) - Catching trains on the Queens bound platform definitely make for some great views. The R40 Slant (A) train in the banner rotation was taken at 104th Street.

80th Street Hudson Street (A) - The curve into/out of the station and into the underground also provide some great views. With trains speeding out of Grant Avenue, and trains rolling slowly into, it can make for good shots as well.

Woodhaven Blvd (J)(Z) - Standing on the Queens bound platform and watching trains come in at the back of the platform provide for some good photo ops.

The curve after 65th Street - (E)(F) - This isn't for photo ops. However, T/Os mostly speed from Roosevelt Avenue to that left curve rated at 35 MPH. It feels good to experience the speed.

the curve between neptune av and west 8 street (F)line the curve between east180st and west farms square (2) and between bway east new york and alabama on the (J) and the curves on broadway line on the local track in lower manhattan between rector and whitehall®(W)(N)

Archived