The Future of Railfanning

Forest Glen

That is one factor why the TA got rid of the Massimo Vignelli map in 1979 in favor of the Michael Hertz map. Who could forget the scene in The Warriors where they poke fun at the hard-to-read Vignelli map.

That may be, however there was also an artist recently who made an up-to-date map in the style of the old Vignelli map. I recall that the reason he made it was because the current map is confusing with all the boxes of information as opposed to the simple diagram of routes with less focus on geographical accuracy.

• 3 weeks later...

who comes up with the designs for the new trains....they should be more creative with new designs! and get rid of that red LED route indicator on the top of the cars and replace them with rollsigns or LCD route indicator...with different color route indicators...

ex.

(1)(2)(3)-red lights

(4)(5)(6)-green lights

(A)(C)(E)-blue...etc...

I agree, train designs aren't creative enough. I think I want to start a thread on a future design that really departs from the R44 look that the subway has had for awhile (which didn't look that much different from an R40M). The R143 has the black front, but from the side, no big changes. Newer trains are shinier, for now, and have a bit less ribbing. But same general appearance as R44.

Exterior, something new. Something different in the window area, waist, ribbing, doors, displays, perhaps even the curvature of the sides. Something that says this is a departure the way the R40 slant differed from the R38. Bring back the color ID in the digital world.

I'd like to see more creativity in lighting (not just brighter), floor space, traffic flow, pole placement, flexibility in seats and seat arrangements, variety of colors (buck the trend of blue/white/silver already), seriously consider articulated trains, better signage and advertising integration. Also, have someone in the design figure out how to make the trains as self-cleaning as possible.

R143/R160 is digitized evolutionary train. I'd like to see a train that will feel and look fairly modern 25 years after it is in service. In 25 years the R143/R160 probably will feel and look "current", maybe, if something completely different comes out, "last design language generation".

who comes up with the designs for the new trains....they should be more creative with new designs! and get rid of that red LED route indicator on the top of the cars and replace them with rollsigns or LCD route indicator...with different color route indicators...

ex.

(1)(2)(3)-red lights

(4)(5)(6)-green lights

(A)(C)(E)-blue...etc...

example based on that idea....

ex.jpg

Archived