HBLRT at Exchange Place

Ken S.

Nice shots Ken thanks for posting. I've have yet to ride them things. Hopefully soon I will. :cool:

When you do, be sure to ride between 22nd and Hoboken, with a stop at liberty state park. Along that stretch in Bayonne they get up to speed also.

- A

The ride is well worth it and those Kinkis accelerate so fast. My mom actually took it for free on her first ride from Hoboken to Pavonia-Newport as she couldn't find the TVM and couldn't find a conductor to present the ticket.

Don't ride without a validated ticket! :eek: You can get a serious fine, and t hey do random sweeps.

As far as conductor, they don't do that, they simply use the honor system, plus the random sweeps.

- A

Nice shots (K)!

All of this used to be industrial, and exchange place was a busy PRR rail terminal.

Bit of a change from those days.

- A

You're correct. Christopher Columbus Drive used to be Railroad Avenue and Exchange Place was another connection between the H & M and Pennsy. The Hudson Tubes' shops used to be down here also on what was then Henderson Street (today Luis Munoz Marin, or Marin Boulevard).

You're correct. Christopher Columbus Drive used to be Railroad Avenue and Exchange Place was another connection between the H & M and Pennsy. The Hudson Tubes' shops used to be down here also on what was then Henderson Street (today Luis Munoz Marin, or Marin Boulevard).

There are remnant of the PRR stretch along Railroad Avenue. I've always wanted to climb that brick structure.

I actually climbed the embankment at West Side and Claremont Avenues (this was before Hudson-Bergen Light Rail) where the CNJ Direct Line used to be and I followed Kearney Avenue down from West Side Avenue to where it dead ends at the cut.

Back in the day, I liked to go down Commumipaw Avenue in Lafayette where it used to cross on a bridge in the Communipaw Junction area. Today with HBLR and Liberty State Park, I don't think that bridge is there anymore and I think Communipaw has been shortened, or interrupted.

Do you mean the elevated sections leading up to the bay bridge that are now just concrete and no steel? If so, then yea all of the superstructure was taken down and the bayonne industrial tracks were moved east. Work is currently underway to complete a new terminal at 8th st. That will remain a terminal, and likely connect to a service that runs on the new bayonne bridge. HBLR isn't going to leave new jersey.

Connecting service between the goethals and bayonne bridges in a U shaped line would work great, connect to PATH near elizabethport/airpoirt, SIRT, and HBLR.

- A

Archived