Subway Tunnel Names

EE Broadway Local

This is something I've never thought about but do the three subway tunnels to The Bronx have names?

Subway tunnels to Brooklyn and Queens have names such as Montague Street; Rutgers Street; Cranberry Street; 53d Street; 60th Street and 63d Street. PATH has the Morten Street Tunnels.

I don't think the Fourteenth Street-Canarsie Line tunnel has a name either.

The tunnel which carries the (L) is called the 14th Street tunnel. The the tunnel which carries the (:P and (D), the (4), (5) and (6) and the (2) are called the Concourse tunnel, the Lexington Avenue tunnel and the 149th Street tunnel, all respectively.

The Cranberry St Tunnels is sometimes known as the Fulton St Tunnels

Never heard that one before, any TA papers I have seen call the (A) and (C) tunnel the Cranberry St Tunnels.

I've never heard of it being called that either.

Actually it's called the Cranberry Tube.

I've heard a number of them referred to as "Tubes", although I don't know if that's official or just colloquial.

I also never heard of the Morten Street Tunnel for PATH, not that I'm doubting if that's the name, but I've always just thought of them as the Hudson Tubes.

Actually it's called the Cranberry Tube.

Fulton St Tunnel?!? Please, turn off the computer and walk away slowly.

ROFL; that made my day. No one else ever heard it being called the Fulton St tunnel, even if it carries the Fulton St line trains.

http://images.nycsubway.org/trackmap/bigdowntown.png

Please don't laugh at me. I've been on this site for so many years.

Where in my response did I laugh at you or anyone else. Also I have been here for several years too, since '07. While that track map may say Fulton Street tunnel for some odd reason, that as stated by others is neither it's common name or what they TA uses.

I've never heard of it being called that either.

Never heard that one before, any TA papers I have seen call the (A) and (C) tunnel the Cranberry St Tunnels.

If you look at the very entrance to the tunnel, right where the tile ends on the curved wall, you'll see a vertical white sign saying "CRANBERRY [forgot whether it was "tube" or "tunnel")". I know some of the others have that too, at least Rutgers.

If you look at the very entrance to the tunnel, right where the tile ends on the curved wall, you'll see a vertical white sign saying "CRANBERRY [forgot whether it was "tube" or "tunnel")". I know some of the others have that too, at least Rutgers.

Yup, I've seen them. And the (4) and the (5) have the horizontal name that reads "JORALEMON" as well.

That's really an accurate statement. It may not have a name, per se, but it's the only underwater tunnel carrying train traffic on that line. It's major enough.

I misworded my statement. Yes, it is a major crossing, as it does carry train traffinc between Brooklyn and Queens. There are two bridges that carry vehicular traffic between Brooklyn and Queens that have names, so I don't know why Crosstown's trunk line doesn't have one.

This is something I've never thought about but do the three subway tunnels to The Bronx have names?

Subway tunnels to Brooklyn and Queens have names such as Montague Street; Rutgers Street; Cranberry Street; 53d Street; 60th Street and 63d Street. PATH has the Morten Street Tunnels.

I don't think the Fourteenth Street-Canarsie Line tunnel has a name either.

Concourse Tunnel (;)(D) - Between 155th Street and 161st Street-Yankee Stadium.

149th Street Tunnel (2) - Between 135th Street and 149th Street-Grand Concourse.

Lexington Avenue Tunnel (4)(5)(6) - Between 125th Street and 138th Street-Grand Concourse/3rd Avenue-East 138th Street.

As for the tunnel on the (L) between 1st Avenue and Bedford Avenue, it's the 14th Street Tunnel.

Archived