R32 Garbage Train from Jamaica

R32 3838

It's a shame the R40M's are now all gone. If anything, they should've used the R42's for the garbage train instead.

A few years ago, when I saw the garbage train, there were 2 pairs of R40S [one at front and one at back] and the rest were the flatcars for the garbage. No redbirds.

I saw those too. They were signed up as the (:P and I saw them on Fulton. It was weird to see Slants on the (A) and (C) territory.

The R42's are in much better shape than the mods were, mainly because they were taken better care of.

- A

If the R42s are well taken care of, then why are there stratchitti marks all over the windows? They're a real eyesore if you ask me. It's all ENY's fault, because the (J) runs through some shady neighborhoods. Mechanically, yes, aesthetically, no. Because they are in good shape mechanically, they lasted.

The R42s were not given significantly different treatment than the R40Ms. They both were maintained at ENY for most of their post overhaul life, Both finished out at Jamaica(for the most part) by way of CIYD and Pitkin. The R40 fleet was generally more reliable than the R42 fleet. Neither fleet was in particularly good shape towards the end.

If the R42s are well taken care of, then why are there stratchitti marks all over the windows? They're a real eyesore if you ask me. It's all ENY's fault, because the (J) runs through some shady neighborhoods. Mechanically, yes, aesthetically, no. Because they are in good shape mechanically, they lasted.

You cannot blame anyone for scratchitti as they are dependent on every line. Look at the E's R160As for example, you cannot blame Jamaica yard for having scratchitti from those kids along 8th Avenue. I'm not sure you noticed, but 8th Avenue is more notorious for scratchitti than the Jamaica EL. All those R32s, R44s, and even post-SMS R46 are scratched up almost every week.

You cannot blame anyone for scratchitti as they are dependent on every line. Look at the E's R160As for example, you cannot blame Jamaica yard for having scratchitti from those kids along 8th Avenue. I'm not sure you noticed, but 8th Avenue is more notorious for scratchitti than the Jamaica EL. All those R32s, R44s, and even post-SMS R46 are scratched up almost every week.

This is why cameras on the trains would be a good idea to see who's been damaging property.

It's a shame the R40M's are now all gone. If anything, they should've used the R42's for the garbage train instead.

A few years ago, when I saw the garbage train, there were 2 pairs of R40S [one at front and one at back] and the rest were the flatcars for the garbage. No redbirds.

Speaking of the R-42s... taken the (V) lately?

Aren't the R32 and R42's all going to be gone from the system by 2010?

It looks like the R32, R42 and R44 are next cars to go.

Will be soon enough that the Garbage trains are all R46 before you know it as we head in a few more years. After the R32, think the R44 will become the garbage trains or the R42 perhaps? Who knows.

Aren't the R32 and R42's all going to be gone from the system by 2010?

It looks like the R32, R42 and R44 are next cars to go.

Will be soon enough that the Garbage trains are all R46 before you know it as we head in a few more years. After the R32, think the R44 will become the garbage trains or the R42 perhaps? Who knows.

The official garbage train horses in the B division are the R127/134. They put a/c cars on there during the hot weather for the comfort for the crew. I don't know what those guys are going to do in the summer of 2011 when there are no more a/c cars around for use as horses. But there could be a few R32's or ENY R42's around next summer for the guys. They can't spare Franklin Shuttle R68's because they are needed as spares over there plus just in case something happens catastrophic to the railroad, 75 footers can't be sent via the Nassau St. line to get out of the way.

The official garbage train horses in the B division are the R127/134. They put a/c cars on there during the hot weather for the comfort for the crew. I don't know what those guys are going to do in the summer of 2011 when there are no more a/c cars around for use as horses. But there could be a few R32's or ENY R42's around next summer for the guys. They can't spare Franklin Shuttle R68's because they are needed as spares over there plus just in case something happens catastrophic to the railroad, 75 footers can't be sent via the Nassau St. line to get out of the way.

Well if these R188's or whatever it's called arrives and is sent to the 7, maybe it'll create a small surplus of A division cars and you can have some R62A singles for those garbage trains in the summer.

Well if these R188's or whatever it's called arrives and is sent to the 7, maybe it'll create a small surplus of A division cars and you can have some R62A singles for those garbage trains in the summer.

Those EP cars that are assigned to the garbage train out of 36th St. yard (EP06-EP10) are so underutilized. They used to need 2 trains with one spare car but since one train operates during the day and the other at night they get by with just one consist so all they need is 2 cars + 3 spares. Now, all 5 are spares since they are now using R32's as the horses.

You are absolutely correct about the most logical thing to do in future summers is to import an R62A and add it to the consist for the comfort of the crews. Talk of using R44's/46's is sheer nonsense since these cars are permanently linked and the couplers are not compatable to the flats used on the garbage train. We don't need 4 horses on each end with 3 flats in the middle, and we don't need R46's AA-flat-flat-flat-R46 AA either even with coupler modification.

Those EP cars that are assigned to the garbage train out of 36th St. yard (EP06-EP10) are so underutilized. They used to need 2 trains with one spare car but since one train operates during the day and the other at night they get by with just one consist so all they need is 2 cars + 3 spares. Now, all 5 are spares since they are now using R32's as the horses.

You are absolutely correct about the most logical thing to do in future summers is to import an R62A and add it to the consist for the comfort of the crews. Talk of using R44's/46's is sheer nonsense since these cars are permanently linked and the couplers are not compatable to the flats used on the garbage train. We don't need 4 horses on each end with 3 flats in the middle, and we don't need R46's AA-flat-flat-flat-R46 AA either even with coupler modification.

Agreed totally and since each car is independent, it can allow at most 2 singles on each end to use and the crews will still have the comforts of an a/c car.

Really? None for trash duty in entire system? If you are a (MTA) T/O, then I trust you.

There are 2 cars saved for the museum, but aside from that, I don't see why he would lie about no more R40M's on garbage duty. With more R160's coming in, the olders cars' days are sadly numbered. At least those R32's will hang around longer.

Archived