Interesting G.O. On The (A) And (S)

Daniel The Cool

(A) Far Rockaway-bound stations at Beach 67 St, Beach 44 St and Beach 25 St are closed for rehabilitation

Starting Tue, Sep 8, 2009 until midnight, Mon Jan 18, 2010

For service to these stations travel to Beach 60 St, Beach 36 St or Mott Av and transfer to a 207 St-bound

(A) 207 St-bound trains skip Beach 90, Beach 105 Sts

(S) Broad Channel-bound trains skip Beach 90, Beach 105 Sts

What do you guys think about this G.O

well, my ride home get increased by one stop. One staircase at each stop on the far rock bound side of those stations are closed off. and crews have been working on the railing side of the platforms for weeks now. Ill take some pics of my stop (B44) and post them tomorrow. 36th st has a stairway closed already but i guess theyll wait till january

Nothing good or bad about the G.O. Hopefully they won't start imposing weekend G.O.s on Manhattan-bound service. Far too many of my weekend evenings have been spoiled because it took me 53 minutes to get to Howard Beach (and another 50 minutes to Manhattan) because the Rockaway stations were closed and I did not know about it.

I do not understand what construction is going on. There is wooden scaffolding on the outside of the railings on the Far Rockaway-bound platform, and in July they seemed to be drilling into the concrete in which the railing was embedded. Now they concrete is filled again and the railing is as it was. It is still a mystery as to what they did, seems at first glance that they are taking apart existing infrastructure and replacing it with the same.

^ That wasn't part of the rehabilitation work - that was probably some other track work that the (MTA) was performing.

I don't see why they would be getting at the tracks by drilling through the concrete on the outside of the platform, as Far Rock Depot described, using cranes and aerial equipment placed in the vacant lot that is supposed to become a "Transit Plaza".

The weekend GOs I was talking about had nothing to do with the rehabilitaion either, bu I am just hoping that the rehab doesn't interfere with weekend service much.

I don't see why they would be getting at the tracks by drilling through the concrete on the outside of the platform, as Far Rock Depot described, using cranes and aerial equipment placed in the vacant lot that is supposed to become a "Transit Plaza".

The weekend GOs I was talking about had nothing to do with the rehabilitaion either, bu I am just hoping that the rehab doesn't interfere with weekend service much.

the weekend GO's were to replace old track with new concrete tie track. which will most likley continue this winter since theres still track to be replaced betreen 51st and 73rd sts. once they reopen the 5 stations in january, im expecting more stations to follow with either the other stops in the same direction or the same stops but manhattan bound.

the weekend GO's were to replace old track with new concrete tie track. which will most likley continue this winter since theres still track to be replaced betreen 51st and 73rd sts. once they reopen the 5 stations in january, im expecting more stations to follow with either the other stops in the same direction or the same stops but manhattan bound.

That must have been during recent weekends; I remember one a couple of months ago that was due to track work/electrical improvements near Broad Channel and on the bridge that didn't have anything to do with the Rockaway station rehabs; I had to go out on both Saturday and Sunday, and had to endure a long bus ride through Nassau County, a shuttle train running between Far Rockaway and Rockaway Park and finally my usual 10 minute walk home, altogether 53 minutes from Howard Beach alone. The weather was great and you could tell the disgruntlement of tourists coming down to surf and then being forced onto a decrepit old bus for a long ride. I am not even sure that work was very important.

I hope even if service changes must occur on weekends, that they are predictable and consistent over a number of weeks. Unfortunately service changes in the Rockaways are crazy: one week the (A) runs from Rock Park and everyone takes the shuttle bus to B90th, the next week it runs only from Far Rockaway and in one direction, the week after that there is no train in the Rockaways altogether (or a shuttle from Far Rock to Rock Park). It is impossible to keep track.

That must have been during recent weekends; I remember one a couple of months ago that was due to track work/electrical improvements near Broad Channel and on the bridge that didn't have anything to do with the Rockaway station rehabs; I had to go out on both Saturday and Sunday, and had to endure a long bus ride through Nassau County, a shuttle train running between Far Rockaway and Rockaway Park and finally my usual 10 minute walk home, altogether 53 minutes from Howard Beach alone. The weather was great and you could tell the disgruntlement of tourists coming down to surf and then being forced onto a decrepit old bus for a long ride. I am not even sure that work was very important.

I hope even if service changes must occur on weekends, that they are predictable and consistent over a number of weeks. Unfortunately service changes in the Rockaways are crazy: one week the (A) runs from Rock Park and everyone takes the shuttle bus to B90th, the next week it runs only from Far Rockaway and in one direction, the week after that there is no train in the Rockaways altogether (or a shuttle from Far Rock to Rock Park). It is impossible to keep track.

The GO you mentioned was to fix the connecting rails on the South Channel Bridge. I rare summer GO in rockaway. mostly all GOs down here occur during the non-summer months to not interfere with beach service. Although i do expect more (A) to Rock PK GOs this winter since the rails between B51st and B73rd Sts have still to be replaced. BTW, the B44th St station has had the sides of the canopy half removed in the first 2 days of its closure. Will post pics soon

Archived