Where is the RTS going?

Eastman346

Well I'd say the RTS will make their final appearance in about 5 years, maybe even 8. Theres a chance that these RTS's will be going to MTA Bus for a while before being scrapped. But as of right now the MTA is going crazy with the Orion VII's, and in a sense they will be the modern day RTS although they won't perform as well. But only time will tell.

To the junk yard where most of them belong. The MTA ordered what? Nearly 800 Orion VII NG buses. The final delivery date of the last of those buses, will spell the END of the RTS. Hopefully some of the Orion V 1993 and 1995 models will go too.

What is so bad about them? They seem to a favorite of many.

definitely not a favorite of mine. slow rolling trash cans they are.

i remember Triboro used to have the really old RTS with the GMC logo on the front and on those buses you NEVER EVER get off the back doors because once the bus starts up you will be engulfed by a toxic smelly black cloud of smoke.

Depends on the year of the RTS. I drove Kingsbridge's 8800 series, West Farms 8109, and for a short while 9664 and 9665 (when they were at KB) which are newer RTSs. Those two kickes ***, that I will say. I used them on the M100. They can move, the buses kneels very low, and all the control switches are to the left of the driver. They don't have that console thing to the right with the switches under it. Makes more room for the driver to get in and out. I did train in 95**, which is the same as the later two. The newer ones will be around longer. The older ones need to go.

To the junk yard where most of them belong. The MTA ordered what? Nearly 800 Orion VII NG buses. The final delivery date of the last of those buses, will spell the END of the RTS. Hopefully some of the Orion V 1993 and 1995 models will go too.

The RTS will for sure not be retired because we also have the Orion V's. I think the only RTS buses that would be retired are the TMC's.

The RTS will for sure not be retired because we also have the Orion V's. I think the only RTS buses that would be retired are the TMC's.

The 1999 Orions will be around for longer. The 1993 and 1995 ones will either need refurbing, or replacing. With the massive amount of Orion VII NG that suppose to be coming in, some of the older Orions and RTSs will go. Not all of course. Most yes. Too much rust, and body rot from the Orion V. The paint covers up alot of it, but you can still see some on some of the Orions. When it rains out, it rains in.

Archived