Rockaway Line Station construction

Far Rock Depot

Daniel the Cool posted a thread about an upcoming GO in Rockaway line informing of the closures of 3 stations on the Far Rockaway bound side of the line affecting the B67, B44 and B25th street stations. i use the B44 and last night i took pics of its progress. Thanks to Daniel the Cool for the info. Signs of this GO have yet to be posted at stations.

IMG00074-20090904-0407-1.jpg

IMG00075-20090904-0407-1.jpg

IMG00076-20090904-0408-1.jpg

IMG00077-20090904-0408-1.jpg

IMG00078-20090904-0408-1.jpg

IMG00079-20090904-0408-1.jpg

IMG00080-20090904-0409-1.jpg

IMG00081-20090904-0409-1.jpg

IMG00082-20090904-0409-1.jpg

IMG00083-20090904-0410-1.jpg

the last pic is just outside the enterence. the boxed off area is the temporary locker room for TA emplayees during the renovation.

Well, at least the shots provide documentation.

This will mean the closure of one side for a year, like Av U/Neck Rd, right?

according to Daniel's post, its until January

Is it just Rockaway Blvd or other stations along that line thats getting renovated?

its not rockaway bl. its all stops below Broad channel.

Good to see the TA is getting around to give the Rockaway line the facelift it deserves.

Thanks for posting those photos.

they gave the staions a minor one in the early 90s. This one is to be a complete reconstruction. and yeah, its about time. LOL

Looks similar to the Pelham Line Underground. Finally the (MTA) is focusing rehabs on many lines. Good Catch

Now all we need to see if Chambers Street on (J)(M)(Z) getting a fix, Cuz that station is in bad shape...

I still say they should simplify the station and cut out one track* and close off a platform and then reopen the middle platform. The station as it is, is too big for such lower use service. imo.

*basically send the n/b local track up the n/b 'express track'

I still say they should simplify the station and cut out one track* and close off a platform and then reopen the middle platform. The station as it is, is too big for such lower use service. imo.

they would have to do some tunnel work for that similar to what they did at Canal Street on that line. It looks possible, but it also looks costly and time consuming. Plus they would have to replace the staircases to the middle platform that they removed.

they would have to do some tunnel work for that similar to what they did at Canal Street on that line. It looks possible, but it also looks costly and time consuming. Plus they would have to replace the staircases to the middle platform that they removed.

True, but if they use the metal staircase like the ones at Chambers, it shouldn't be too costly as if it was all concrete and stone or such. Yeah I know it won't happen, but I still think Chambers would be 'fixed up' faster if they just reduced it down to 3 tracks and two island platforms next to each other.

Can anyone explain precisely what sort of construction is going on at the Rockaway stations? The signs outside the station put it in very vague terms.

The Beach 90th St station's stairs (both street to mezzanine and stairs to the platform) badly need repair; trying to run up those stairs is scary as they give under one's foot and creak. So far I have not seen any work being done on the stairs on any station.

The windscreens on the Beach 98th and Beach 105th St platforms are rusted and falling apart. So far I haven't seen any evidence of them in the process of being replaced.

And will this construction go on throughout the winter? The waiting areas in the mezzanine have been halved in size due to construction. In the winter, people typically congregate around the heater in the waiting area as it is too cold to stand on the platform to wait for the train. Reducing the space in the waiting area will cause massive crowding and force some people to stand outside fare control and have to rush in order to catch the train.

Its bad enough that most of the Rockaway stations have only two exits onto the street (and not one from each end of the platform). These days one or the other exit is invariably closed. Its frustrating to miss a train because one had to cross the Rockaway Freeway to get to the only open exit. Can whatever construction is causing the exit closures be done ASAP so that the scarcity of exits isn't a problem?

Even if the construction were to improve/upgrade the tracks/third rail, the benefits aren't obvious since the (A) isn't getting R160s. But it looks to me as though they are simply taking apart the existing infrastructure and replacing it with the same.

I hate to be the model of the always-complaining passenger, but the benefits of this reconstruction isn't obvious to me, and is probably pointless unless they cut Lefferts Blvd (A) service and send more trains to the Rockaways. No one is going to feel any better about 13-15 minute morning rush hour headways whether they have a "new and improved" station or not.

The norm is to replace the canopys, the platform, stairs, and public address syatems. Take the Jerome Avenue stations while they were being rehabbed as an example. They replaced everything. I even recall them tearing apart the concrete. The same is being done to the Brighton and soon to be Rockaway lines.

I hope they do the same in the Rockaways, although I wonder if the (MTA)'s budget is sufficient. I suppose Rockaway residents will have to make some sacrifices, e.g. closed exits and smaller waiting areas.

But as I keep saying, the Rockaways are underserved and Lefferts overserved with regards to the (A) train, to the detriment of both communities (in the form of longer headways and more crowded trains).

I hope they do the same in the Rockaways, although I wonder if the (MTA)'s budget is sufficient. I suppose Rockaway residents will have to make some sacrifices, e.g. closed exits and smaller waiting areas.

But as I keep saying, the Rockaways are underserved and Lefferts overserved with regards to the (A) train, to the detriment of both communities (in the form of longer headways and more crowded trains).

If they have the money to propose building a statue in the new fulton station then they have the money to fix stations that are falling apart.

So you saying it would be like Canal to Essex, where the Northbound abandoned tracks are not in service?

The norm is to replace the canopys, the platform, stairs, and public address syatems. Take the Jerome Avenue stations while they were being rehabbed as an example. They replaced everything. I even recall them tearing apart the concrete. The same is being done to the Brighton and soon to be Rockaway lines.

I agree,this is the norm for NYCTA when it comes to rehabilitation.You will always have the people complaining about noise,limited waiting areas,train delays and any inconveniences that come with reconstruction and you have people that just deal with it as well.In the long run the Rockaway Line stations and the residents along the route will benefit.

If they have the money to propose building a statue in the new fulton station then they have the money to fix stations that are falling apart.

Do they really? The "$700 million" FSTC's cost ballooned, and it doesn't appear that (MTA) even had the money to meet the original price tag. Even with $497 million dollars of federal stimulus funds, there has barely been any progress; what was supposed to be completed in 2009 or 2010 has been pushed back to 2014 at least. The FSTC was just a small part of Eliot Sander's wildly optimistic subway expansion that was supposed to cost $29.6 billion, with only the (now failed) congestion pricing plan as a funding source. The (MTA) keeps having to promise grand schemes to make riders think they have the best intentions in mind; invariably, projects are cut back, excuses are made (e.g. "could be done if congestion pricing succeeded", "need to wait for the end of the recession", etc) and riders are inconvenienced through GOs and temporary service cuts.

The 2010-2014 Capital Plan admits the existence of a $9.912 billion "funding gap", by contrast, the total funding allocated to station improvement is $2.439 billion. It's obvious that when it's time to tighten the belt, the (MTA) will have to cut back on station repairs in favor of purchasing subway cars, buses and making essential signal and track repairs. I am generally gloomy about prospects for station improvement, especially on aesthetic improvements (as opposed to, say, ADA compliance). Still, I am willing to give the (MTA) the benefit of the doubt. However, chances are, after wasting millions of dollars and imposing service cuts and GOs, stairs will still creak and windscreens rattle as the TA runs out of funds.

Well, the Lefferts stations combined have about as much ridership as most of the Far Rockaway stations COMBINED. So as unfair as it seems, the split is pretty fair.

I wonder if it means they will have the canopy for the entire platform on the Rockaway Park side or just the portions where the 4-car shuttle stops at.

from what i understand, its gonna be a complete renovation. everything from the platforms, canopies, all staircaes, and the mezz. on the Far Rock side, New track and 3rd rails have been replaces with the exception of from 51st to 73rd street with new concrete ties. its a much smoother ride. i will continue with updates on the construction including the first night of no Far Rock bound service at B67,B44 and B25th STs and bo BC bound at 90th and 105th sts. completion is expected in the fall of 2011.

Archived