Rockaway Line Station construction

Far Rock Depot

I wonder if it means they will have the canopy for the entire platform on the Rockaway Park side or just the portions where the 4-car shuttle stops at.

its the entire stations. and remember, 5 peak direction (A) trains serve the rock pk branch weekday rush hours so just a 4 car portion would not be enough.

from what i understand, its gonna be a complete renovation. everything from the platforms, canopies, all staircaes, and the mezz. on the Far Rock side, New track and 3rd rails have been replaces with the exception of from 51st to 73rd street with new concrete ties. its a much smoother ride. i will continue with updates on the construction including the first night of no Far Rock bound service at B67,B44 and B25th STs and bo BC bound at 90th and 105th sts. completion is expected in the fall of 2011.

Thanks a lot for the info. I just hope the (MTA) has enough funding for its capital projects without hiking fares again. The $9.9 billion budget deficit for 2010-2014 does worry me.

these pics were taken during the first day of reconstruction. the last 2 pics were on 9/12 B44 was the first one where they started.

IMG00091-20090908-1913.jpg

IMG00092-20090908-1914.jpg

IMG00093-20090908-1915.jpg

IMG00094-20090908-1915.jpg

IMG00095-20090908-1915.jpg

IMG00099-20090912-1711.jpg

IMG00100-20090912-1711.jpg

the video shows an (A) bypassing B44. the speed in which it passes reminds me of a commuter train bypassing. most NYCT trains are suppose to reduse speed. but thats when the station is open i guess. LOL

An A train bypassing Beach 44th St

@Far Rock Depot: Nice pics. The windscreens and canopies have been gutted, I see. I don't think work on Beach 67th has reached that stage yet. It must get really breezy on the other platform with the wind blowing in from the Atlantic Ocean.

Do you know what will happen after the current GO expires on January 18th? Will the Manhattan-bound platforms be closed, or will the stations not currently undergoing rehab be closed next?

@Far Rock Depot: Nice pics. The windscreens and canopies have been gutted, I see. I don't think work on Beach 67th has reached that stage yet. It must get really breezy on the other platform with the wind blowing in from the Atlantic Ocean.

Do you know what will happen after the current GO expires on January 18th? Will the Manhattan-bound platforms be closed, or will the stations not currently undergoing rehab be closed next?

B67th has some of its widscreens removed. B25 when i past by it yesterday has yet to be touched. when the GO expires they will switch sides. the Manhattan bound sides of those stops will close. Then they will repeat the pattern with B36, B60 and B98. after those are done, Far Rockaway-Mott Ave will be reconstructed with Elevators installed to meet ADA requirements. Im not sure if Mott Ave will be closed during that time. It'll be interesting to see

This is the plan:

Right now, Queens-bound 67,44, and 25 are closed, Manhattan-bound 105/90 also closed.

67/44/25 ends in January

105/90 ends Dec. 21

Then, the closed platforms will reopen, and the opposite side will close. After that, 60/90/36 will do the same thing. Then Mott (I don't know how it will work, as Mott is an island platform)

Also, why are these being done relatively quickly as compared to the Av U/Neck Rd rehabs?

Far Rock Depot and Famous NY Lover: Thanks. I saw the removed windscreens at Beach 67th St today.

Guess I'll just have to get used to taking the Rockaway Park (S) more often now, from Broad Channel in the evening until January and in the morning next year. I just hope the (A)(S) schedules aren't thrown out of order by the fact of trains skipping certain stations, and therefore getting to Broad Channel earlier than expected.

This is the plan:

Right now, Queens-bound 67,44, and 25 are closed, Manhattan-bound 105/90 also closed.

67/44/25 ends in January

105/90 ends Dec. 21

Then, the closed platforms will reopen, and the opposite side will close. After that, 60/90/36 will do the same thing. Then Mott (I don't know how it will work, as Mott is an island platform)

Also, why are these being done relatively quickly as compared to the Av U/Neck Rd rehabs?

If possible, they may close one side of the station at Far Rockaway at a time. I'd like to see how this will work out, as that may create havoc, and BIG time!

To the tune of major turnaround delays

Probably so. As soon as the train pulls into Far Rockaway, it'll have to depart! The cleaners won't even have time to sweep and mop the trains because it will immediately get crowded.

Im going to assume they may close Mott Ave and have trains terminate at B25th. its the only way to have the renovations done the fastest with minimum impact on turnarounds. Its been done before when they first opened up the line. Mott Ave opened about 2 years after the line opened under NYCTA.

Im going to assume they may close Mott Ave and have trains terminate at B25th. its the only way to have the renovations done the fastest with minimum impact on turnarounds. Its been done before when they first opened up the line. Mott Ave opened about 2 years after the line opened under NYCTA.

I guess that may be a viable solution. The trains can dump the passengers at 25th Street and relay at Far Rockaway.

In that case they should operate a shuttle bus between B25th and Mott Avenue, as the whole station will be closed, unlike just one platform in the other cases. Since it is also the terminal, there would have been no way to bypass the station and get a Manhattan-bound train to reach the bypassed stop. I think they should run a shuttle bus that stops at all the currently closed stations, especially when the stations are closed in the Manhattan-bound direction, as it is not fair to expect passengers to walk longer. While the Q22 is available, only passengers with a free transfer on their Metrocards or an Unlimited Ride Metrocard will be able to use it without incurring an extra fare, while Single-Ride ticket holders and those intending to buy/refill their cards at the station will have no way to use the bus except exact change, and that only gives them a bus transfer that is no good on the subway.

By the way, does Far Rockaway really need a rehab, except to make the station ADA-compliant? I thought the platform/canopy/stairs look all right at the Far Rock terminal. Installing an elevator shouldn't make the station unavailable to regular riders.

• 2 weeks later...
Maybe they could send it to Howard Beach to drop off/pick up the riders depending on which platform will be shut down.

I know Howard Beach is a good place to relay trains by utilizing the two middle tracks; once there was a fire on the supposedly fire-proof bridge between Howard Beach and Broad Channel, and the passengers had to get off the train and then take the same train the other direction to Rockaway Blvd to connect to the Q21/Q53/shuttle buses. I wonder if the middle tracks are long enough to allow trains to wait there before turning around, especially for the 8-car summer weekend shuttles.

According to the station rehab list at http://www.mta.info/mta/budget/july2009/july09_vol2part3.pdf (check pages 26-27), there's nothing listed about rehabbing or doing station work at Broad Channel. All of the Rockaway stations are getting rehabbed though, and Mott is getting ADA.

I hope Mott gets complete ADA (e.g. an elevator), rather than just the tactile edge strips.

Archived