Rockaway Line Station construction

Far Rock Depot

I think Mott Ave. is getting an elevator. It makes sense since it's the end of the line and there's no other station in the Rockaways (except for maybe Beach 116th St.) that has wheelchair accessibility.

Te main reason why Rockaway Park has ADA is because the station is located at grave level. I don't know if a ramp had to be made, but it seems most likely, I think.

• 3 weeks later...

There are 2 GO's coming up, probably due to the rehab work:

(A) runs to Rock Park, Next weekend

No (S), Oct 31-Nov 1

The only problem I see is that next weekend is the massive LIRR VALLEY cutover, and there would probably a larger than normal amount of passengers at Far Rockaway. There really should be some coordination between the 2 agencies and the reversal of the GO's. The LIRR brochure even recommends the use of the (A) as an alternate to buses to Rosedale, without any word of the GO!

There are 2 GO's coming up, probably due to the rehab work:

(A) runs to Rock Park, Next weekend

No (S), Oct 31-Nov 1

The only problem I see is that next weekend is the massive LIRR VALLEY cutover, and there would probably a larger than normal amount of passengers at Far Rockaway. There really should be some coordination between the 2 agencies and the reversal of the GO's. The LIRR brochure even recommends the use of the (A) as an alternate to buses to Rosedale, without any word of the GO!

personally i wouldnt worry about that. i use to use the LIRR. the most ive seen for one train on average is about 10 to 20 people. More peope use the subway. Buses from Mott Ave will discharge at 98th ST and according to the GO posters, begin pick up to Mott Ave at 90th St.

just saw the rehab work at B90th St a little while ago. sadly, it looks like the Rock Pk stations may not get the full rehab that the Far Rock stations are getting. the platforms are still there and only the windscreens are down. the current RP stations suppose to be completed a month sooner that the Far Rock's. it looks like what rehab the FR stations got around '92 is what RP is getting now.

• 1 month later...

Seems construction will be prolonged some more due to delays.

NYC Transit released a statement Tuesday saying: "The re-opening has been pushed back due to [unexpected] field conditions...and by the inclement weather. NYC Transit expects that work will move forward more smoothly during the upcoming phases of this project."

http://ny1.com/8-queens-news-content/top_stories/110885/a-train-disruptions-continue-due-to-construction-delays

Any progress updates? Jan 18 is only 3 weeks away...

How will they rehab Far Rockaway? It's an island platform, so closing it means no service to the station at all. All-times shuttle buses?

I'm assuming Wavecrest will become a temporary terminal and shuttle bus to Mott Avenue if that happens. At least Mott Avenue residents have a LIRR option to Jamaica, Woodside, Flatbush Avenue or Penn Station.

• 3 weeks later...

Im wondering how B44 is suppose to open on monday! Windscreens and side gates havent been installed yet. And the GO for this weekend only leave the Far Rock branch with train service. Maybe theyll work round the clock this weekend with trains bypassing with a speed restriction? itll be nice to see and find out when i get on the train this weekend to get to work.

• 2 weeks later...
Im wondering how B44 is suppose to open on monday! Windscreens and side gates havent been installed yet. And the GO for this weekend only leave the Far Rock branch with train service. Maybe theyll work round the clock this weekend with trains bypassing with a speed restriction? itll be nice to see and find out when i get on the train this weekend to get to work.

ok, the stations opened as panned. although work on these stations was far from finished, they did enough to open them. heres B44 ST the afternoon it opened:

IMG00002-20100118-1628.jpg

IMG00001-20100118-1627.jpg

IMG00003-20100118-1628.jpg

one staircase at each station remains closed. this includes the 2 Rock Pk branch stops also affected.

Now for another update:

On Feb 1, 2010, the Manhattan-bound sides of B25, B44 and B67 Sts will close for approximately 4 months. no exact finish date has been posted since they were late with the first ones. Theres no word as of now regarding the Rock Pk bound platforms of B90th and B105th Sts.

I dont expect any rehab on the other stations to start till next fall/winter since the MTAs common practice when it comes to any work in Rockaway is to not have any during the summer months.

Nice pics and coverage! In the coming months-year every station south of Broad Channel will get this treatment (except for Rockaway Park which is already in good condition) so I wouldn't expect to wait long for more stations to close. I'm heading down to the area tomorrow, in fact.

Cool photos. Now, did they tear down the whole structure, like they did to Avenue U and Neck Rd?

No they didnt. heres what they did:

Removed windscreens and railings from platform and stairs. (Windscreens only at B90 and B105)

Completely removed the cement the entire length of platforms.

repainted the canopy beams (not complete yet)

applied new cement on platforms.

Installed new lighting on the platforms

Now the stairs that are in use have not been re-done yet. And the rear section of the mezzanine is stll closed off. one of the stairs to the street on the south side at B44 has been completly removed. And the railings at the ends of the platforms at 90th and 105th havent been removed. It looks like the Rock Pk Stations are being done half-a$$ed like back in the 90s.

No they didnt. heres what they did:

Removed windscreens and railings from platform and stairs. (Windscreens only at B90 and B105)

Completely removed the cement the entire length of platforms.

repainted the canopy beams (not complete yet)

applied new cement on platforms.

Installed new lighting on the platforms

Now the stairs that are in use have not been re-done yet. And the rear section of the mezzanine is stll closed off. one of the stairs to the street on the south side at B44 has been completly removed. And the railings at the ends of the platforms at 90th and 105th havent been removed. It looks like the Rock Pk Stations are being done half-a$$ed like back in the 90s.

Thats not cool. If your going to renovate something, at least spend the money wisely, and not cut any corners....

Thanks for the description though. I havent been down that way since the 7-22-07 fan trip, and I recall how bad those stations needed attention.

you shouldve seen them before 1992. take the Rock Park stations, and age them 20 years. Infact, when the renovations happened in the 90s, Far rock stops got new lights, windscreens, and paint. Rock Pk just got new paint. then lights a few years later. At least they got new platforms now like its counterparts

you shouldve seen them before 1992. take the Rock Park stations, and age them 20 years. Infact, when the renovations happened in the 90s, Far rock stops got new lights, windscreens, and paint. Rock Pk just got new paint. then lights a few years later. At least they got new platforms now like its counterparts

Dam...Its a shame. Most of the system need(s)(ed) attention, but the TA, should keep a close eye to the stations that are long the beaches. (A)(S)(;)(F)(Q). The salt air eats away the concrete structures, and that causes faulty, and damaged stations. I mean, remember the old Stillwell? The concrete was eaten alive by the salt air, and it was in horrific shape.

Dam...Its a shame. Most of the system need(s)(ed) attention, but the TA, should keep a close eye to the stations that are long the beaches. (A)(S)(;)(F)(Q). The salt air eats away the concrete structures, and that causes faulty, and damaged stations. I mean, remember the old Stillwell? The concrete was eaten alive by the salt air, and it was in horrific shape.

you should see the viaduct here in rockaway. im honestly shocked its almost around 70 years old! The platforms are practically patchwork hence the new cement now.

Archived