Photography Rules outside of NYCT

Amtrak7

I've looked at this answer myself but I've yet to find anything so rather than getting a ticket by MTA police I assume that they are and don't carry one.

It's not that you can't carry one, because what if you're going somewhere to take pics and need a tripod or other ancillary equipment? Those aren't allowed in the subway, but hat doesn't mean you can't carry one.

(NJT) platforms can be used with tripod if they are not crowded, but if a cop or (NJT) employee says something, just listen. Places you don't want to begin trying a tripod, are newark penn, new york penn, hoboken terminal, or any station during peak hours.

Tripods etc are not allowed to be in use on trains. Same with MNRR/LIRR but with those guys you can't use a tripod unless you get permission, however on little used stations off peak hours i can guess no one would bother you about it, just don't push it.

:septa: has similar rules to (MTA), however at stations it will vary because some are more crowded than others.

- A

Whats weird is for MNCRR and LIRR there is no rules for photograpy

LIRR:

http://www.mta.info/lirr/pubs/Rules/Rules.htm

I dont see an MNCRR version, but I guess they are the same for LIRR.

It seems like it must be legal to use the Flash and Tripods for commuter railroad. Some users on youtube have still videos and must be using Tripods on the MNCRR. So the rules of NYCT does(Or may not) apply to the railroad side of the (MTA).... Tho for saftey I still suggest not to use Flash or Tripods on the railroad especially in NYC where all or some cops thinks its illegal...

Maybe only NYCT prohibites Tripods and flash due to the 9/11 attack and threaned attacks on NYC[god forbid others come around]

Rule or not, don't use flash! You can blind the train crew. That is the reason why it's prohibited, has nothing to do with 9/11. Tripod's are prohibited on the platforms due to blocking the flow of traffic which on some small platforms can be a safety issue.

Rule or not, don't use flash! You can blind the train crew. That is the reason why it's prohibited, has nothing to do with 9/11. Tripod's are prohibited on the platforms due to blocking the flow of traffic which on some small platforms can be a safety issue.

Ok so if a platform is completely[Like many midday inbound/outbound trains is] empty why wouldnt it be allowed. I understand the flash which can blind any T.O./Engineer.

Besides what was the main reason for Tripods being banned anyways? Since you can take pictures clearly or cuz of the flow of people around you which you are blocking?

Ok so if a platform is completely[Like many midday inbound/outbound trains is] empty why wouldnt it be allowed. I understand the flash which can blind any T.O./Engineer.

Besides what was the main reason for Tripods being banned anyways? Since you can take pictures clearly or cuz of the flow of people around you which you are blocking?

Cause of people probably not moving when being asked if they are blocking the flow of traffic. I can take clear pictures, I don't need a tripod.

Tripos would basically be a greater safety issue. It's bad enough that there are people who are standing still (if you want to put it like that), but tripods would just add on to the problem. That's why even film production companies need to obtain a permit to use ancillary equipment for filming in the subway.

Cause of people probably not moving when being asked if they are blocking the flow of traffic. I can take clear pictures, I don't need a tripod.

Well then i get it as well. I dont need tripod too... thx

Tripos would basically be a greater safety issue. It's bad enough that there are people who are standing still (if you want to put it like that), but tripods would just add on to the problem. That's why even film production companies need to obtain a permit to use ancillary equipment for filming in the subway.

Mostlikly taking pics on an EL structure during the day wont need any sort of holding excep yourself.

But wouldn't standing and taking a pic also be considers blocking free moment? Unless you are away from people like the northern/southern and of a station..?

I've seen plenty of people who use flash. Either way, flash or no flash I can still get great shots. As of late, I've gotten acustomed to using Manual as opposed to Auto and Shutter Speed Priority.

Agreed. People still use flash, you can be at the last end of a station and a northbound train enters and people still have flash on or Auto.. Unless its completely disabled. People just use flash since they dont wanna get the image blured. For that case ether bring up the ISO and get more noise or fix the aperture and shutter speed. Or better go to the last car of the train and when it moves take a pic. I do that always underground when im taking a pic..

Hey and even most tourist doesnt know the rules of (MTA) and any agencies and they even use flash. So we cant simply say NO FLASH, unless the person is alerted about the use..

Archived