Subway Car Status for EFGRV

AJ023

Hi all. Just wondering what the latest Subway car status is for the (E)(F)(G)(R)(V) lines.

Is (E) fully R160 now?

What is the split on the (F) between R160 and R46 now?

Is (G) using R46 exclusively?

Is (R) using R32, R42 and R46 now?

Is (V) using R32, R42 and R46 now?

When are the R32 + R42's scheduled to be phased out? Also are are new R160's that arrive still coming to Jamaica Yard? And if so how many full train sets come to the yard each week?

Thanks!

The E fully R160. The F is mainly R46 with supplemental R160s. The G is all R46 (4 car trains with 8 cars during GOs). The R is R32, R42, and mainly R46. The V is getting more R46s back, but still operates R42s. I'm not sure if the R still has any R32s as they might be all reefed. The R32 should be gone mid to late 2010 and the R42 should be gone early to mid 2010. There;s one train delivered each week.

Hi all. Just wondering what the latest Subway car status is for the (E)(F)(G)(R)(V) lines.

Is (E) fully R160 now?

When are the R32 + R42's scheduled to be phased out? Also are are new R160's that arrive still coming to Jamaica Yard? And if so how many full train sets come to the yard each week?

Thanks!

From what i know:

The (E) is fully R160.

the (F) almost half R46 and half R160,last i heard,the line has 13 R160's.

the (G) is exclusively R46.

The (R) likely still uses an R32 or an R42 trainset.

The (V) is still using R32,R42 and R46's.

as for when the R32 and R42 are going to be phased out?my guess would

be that JAM's R32 and R42 cars would be gone this year,207's R32 would be

gone by late this year(or sooner)to early next year.and ENY R42 cars would

be gone spring or summer of next year.

From what i know:

The (E) is fully R160.

The R32's out of JAM would be phased out 1st But, They won't be reeferd, They will go to 207th st yard to add on to the fleet to make the (C) 10 cars, And when the R46's come to full the gap,,The R42's at jamaica are going very soon

Ride the R32's quick because they are going to do this in a few weeks

But there is still a possiblity of R32's still going to ENY

So much has changed under QBL this past year. I remember up until around Halloween or so last year, you couldn't get anything other than a R32 set on the (E). I normally spy R42s on the (R) - seen a couple R32s, but didn't get a long enough look to see whether they were (R) or (V).

The last R42 set I was on was actually a (V), but it was "confused", with half the roll signs, including the one in the front reading (R).

The R32's out of JAM would be phased out 1st But, They won't be reeferd, They will go to 207th st yard to add on to the fleet to make the (C) 10 cars, And when the R46's come to full the gap,,The R42's at jamaica are going very soon

Well that would make sense to send JAM's R32's to 207 to make (C) trains 10

cars.(Though last i heard there were 40 R32's left at JAM)R32's going to ENY,i'll

believe it when i see it.

Is (E) fully R160 now?

Thanks!

Yes, the (E) is fully R160. It has been since the beginning of July (with an exception during the middle of July when an R42 or two popped up on the line).

The (F) is about 1/3 R160. There's about 15 R160s on the line (maybe more) and 30 R46s (maybe less).

The (G) is exclusively R46.

The (R) uses almost exclusively R46s. A few R42s run on the line all day, as well as an R32 (during the rush hours, I'm not sure about middays/evenings).

As for the R42s, I would assume there's about 110 of those left at Jamaica (or somewhere around that number). R160s are delivered at the rate of 10 a week (can range from 10-15), so expect R32s and R42s to be gone from Jamaica by the end of the year. After that the R32s off the (C) may start retiring, and depending on how the order plays out the R42s on the (J) may be the last to be retired (I'm assuming Summer 2010).

Thanks for the updates.

The big thing is the R160 on the (E) because I can get to Jamaica LIRR station and JFK Airport using all modern technology trains from Forest Hills, NY 71st station. Plus the (E) train is the Queens feeder to Penn Station. Therefore I am glad the (E) is 100% R160. The (E) is really a big line here at least for me.

As far as the rest, guess the R32 + R42's will eventually leave us, meaning R46's will be dominant on the other routes and in due time after R46s, eventually those will get kicked out with R160 and newer technology trains whatever models those will be (I presume R179?)

Seems like the R46's will be staying awhile yet unless they decide to move R62 or R68 to Jamaica which could happen I guess.

Things have come along way since R32's were mostly on the (E) and very few R46's while the (F) was all R46 with a few R32s on the line and other lines I believe were all R46's including the (G)(R) and (V).

Then all of a sudden you had the R40's and R42's appear from other lines.

Once they get R46 or newer back to Jamaica, things will be normal again. R40s and R42's I never liked. R32s were far superior. The R46's are also decent cars.

R40's gone, which leaves R32 and R42 and I guess this year is the end so finally we won't have the big mix and match cars anymore on the lines. Though it seems like with the R40/R42 mixed set cars there were big followings.

Thanks for the updates.

The big thing is the R160 on the (E) because I can get to Jamaica LIRR station and JFK Airport using all modern technology trains from Forest Hills, NY 71st station. Plus the (E) train is the Queens feeder to Penn Station. Therefore I am glad the (E) is 100% R160. The (E) is really a big line here at least for me.

As far as the rest, guess the R32 + R42's will eventually leave us, meaning R46's will be dominant on the other routes and in due time after R46s, eventually those will get kicked out with R160 and newer technology trains whatever models those will be (I presume R179?)

Seems like the R46's will be staying awhile yet unless they decide to move R62 or R68 to Jamaica which could happen I guess.

Things have come along way since R32's were mostly on the (E) and very few R46's while the (F) was all R46 with a few R32s on the line and other lines I believe were all R46's including the (G)(R) and (V).

Once they get R46 or newer back to Jamaica, things will be normal again. R40s and R42's I never liked. R32s were far superior. The R46's are also decent cars.

R40's gone, which leaves R32 and R42 and I guess this year is the end so finally we won't have the big mix and match cars anymore on the lines. Though it seems like with the R40/R42 mixed set cars there were big followings.

R68. R62's are A division cars or the number lines. And I just can't see the R68/A's coming to Jamaica yard. I still see R46's staying there till it's time to retire them since there's so many cars and would be more than enough if the A/C were 100% R46's.

The E fully R160. The F is mainly R46 with supplemental R160s. The G is all R46 (4 car trains with 8 cars during GOs). The R is R32, R42, and mainly R46. The V is getting more R46s back, but still operates R42s. I'm not sure if the R still has any R32s as they might be all reefed. The R32 should be gone mid to late 2010 and the R42 should be gone early to mid 2010. There;s one train delivered each week.

Your best bet to catch a R32 on the (R) is on the weekends. On weekdays, those R32's only operate on the (V).

The (R) still has R32s. I saw one while heading home from school today!

I think the (C) is still R32s, since the (V) is R42s also, I was going to ride some R32 C Trains as well as some R42s tomorrow, so hopefully they'll still be there this weekend as I posted in my latest Facebook status:

http://www.facebook.com/home.php#/RPaniagua1176?ref=profile

You're right, the (C) is 100% R32. The (V) is almost half R46 again now so you will be waiting some time to catch one on the (V) (20 minutes max though I think since they temporarily reduced the headway).

Thanks for the updates.

No problem! I agree that the R32s were superior to the R42s on the (E), even though they had their fair share of problems as well. R62s are IRT cars so you won't see them at Jamaica. R68s are also staying at Coney Island for the duration of the R160 order - it's unlikely you'll see them moved. As Jamaica will get more R160s they will transfer R46s (and maybe the remaining R32s but for a different reason) to 207th St. to retire the R32s over there.

Is (E) fully R160 now?

Thanks!

(E) all R160s

(F)mostly R46s with a 1/3 of R160s.

(G)all R46s

®Mostly R46s with occasional R32s and R42s during rush hours

(V)R46s , R32s , R42s

(A)mostly R44s , a 1/3 of R46s and occasional R32s

©all R32s

That's the stuff for ya!

BTW:Are you on the ball? Get on the ball! the new big city detergent ball.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YILTC8f5wXY

You're right, the (C) is 100% R32. The (V) is almost half R46 again now so you will be waiting some time to catch one on the (V) (20 minutes max though I think since they temporarily reduced the headway).

No problem! I agree that the R32s were superior to the R42s on the (E), even though they had their fair share of problems as well. R62s are IRT cars so you won't see them at Jamaica. R68s are also staying at Coney Island for the duration of the R160 order - it's unlikely you'll see them moved. As Jamaica will get more R160s they will transfer R46s (and maybe the remaining R32s but for a different reason) to 207th St. to retire the R32s over there.

Yup. Are R160s going to hit the (F) fully and spread to other Jamaica lines as well in the near future?

Im not really worried about more R160's on the line so much as if enough R160s can knock out those R32 + R42s. As soon as the lines have R46 as their oldest cars with R160s incrementally coming in to replace the R46's which will continue I'll be happy enough. I just really dislike those R42's. R32s less so.

Out of the list, I just wish the R32 + R42's were out which will happen soon according to everyone. Then we will continually see more R160s on the lines in the coming years but it won't be so much a big deal anymore.

When R40's + R42's came on, it was sad but only temporary and we finally will be over that hurdle. I didn't like when they did that to say the least. :-)

Hopefully the Bloomberg initiatives for Mass transit gain acceptance. Everything is A OK once we get the 2010 budget finalized and weed out those nasty cars.

All coming soon. :-)

RIP Budd + St Louis Car Company. Looks like Pullman Standard is the R46's which is a very notable firm. After that, its all new generation cars.

From what i know:

The (E) is fully R160.

according to Fan Railer, there are 246 R32s and 166 R42s left. Jamaica has 116 R42s and 46 R32s. 46 cars is enough to make the (C) full length as it only runs 5-7 trains per hour and it takes a little more than an hour for the (C) to complete its entire run. there is no way R32s are retiring R42s. there are 200 R32s at 207th Street, more than the total R42s still in service. it would take more than 3-4 months to get rid of them all.

R32s going to ENY is the only reason why i will return to railfanning at the end of the year. right now, i refuse to believe that R160s are going on the (R)(V). someone needs to give (NYCT) a wake-up call and make them realize that with their rusted car bodies, horrible vandalism, constantly breakdowns, and incredibly screechy brakes, the R42s will not survive another few months in service.

Yes, the (E) is fully R160. It has been since the beginning of July (with an exception during the middle of July when an R42 or two popped up on the line).

The (F) is about 1/3 R160. There's about 15 R160s on the line (maybe more) and 30 R46s (maybe less).

The (G) is exclusively R46.

The (R) uses almost exclusively R46s. A few R42s run on the line all day, as well as an R32 (during the rush hours, I'm not sure about middays/evenings).

As for the R42s, I would assume there's about 110 of those left at Jamaica (or somewhere around that number). R160s are delivered at the rate of 10 a week (can range from 10-15), so expect R32s and R42s to be gone from Jamaica by the end of the year. After that the R32s off the (C) may start retiring, and depending on how the order plays out the R42s on the (J) may be the last to be retired (I'm assuming Summer 2010).

slightly off topic, but im curious to know, do u think (NYCT) should transfer control of the (F)(G) from Jamaica to Coney Island? Jamaica is a very tiny yard (from a google satallite image, it looks like a square box at the bottom of Flushing Meadows-Corona Park) and cannot handle all the cars that run on the five Queens Boulevard Lines. that is why so many cars on the (E)(F)(G)(R) get stored elsewhere, like Coney Island, 38th Street, and various unused tracks in the system. this is also why i believe it is not getting the rest of the five-car R160s. Jamaica is crammed all the time, but Coney Island is a big yard and should be able to handle two additional lines.

(E) all R160s

(F)mostly R46s with a 1/3 of R160s.

(G)all R46s

®Mostly R46s with occasional R32s and R42s during rush hours

(V)R46s , R32s , R42s

(A)mostly R44s , a 1/3 of R46s and occasional R32s

©all R32s

That's the stuff for ya!

BTW:Are you on the ball? Get on the ball! the new big city detergent ball.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YILTC8f5wXY

what is the idea of that video? i am still laughing at the fact you threatened to embarass me on youtube with a Billy Mays commercial if R160s ended up on the (A)(C), which i remind me is probably not going to happen unless Option III goes through, and i do not think it will as Option II is enough to retire all pre-R44s.

Yup. Are R160s going to hit the (F) fully and spread to other Jamaica lines as well in the near future?

Im not really worried about more R160's on the line so much as if enough R160s can knock out those R32 + R42s. As soon as the lines have R46 as their oldest cars with R160s incrementally coming in to replace the R46's which will continue I'll be happy enough. I just really dislike those R42's. R32s less so.

i dislike the R42s as well, but even if Jamaica gets the rest of R160s, it will not be enough to make the (F) exclusively those cars. i still refuse to believe R160s going on the (R)(V) as to me, it would be rather pointless. leave them exclusively R46s.

what is the idea of that video? i am still laughing at the fact you threatened to embarass me on youtube with a Billy Mays commercial if R160s ended up on the (A)(C), which i remind me is probably not going to happen unless Option III goes through, and i do not think it will as Option II is enough to retire all pre-R44s.

Oh I just wanted to post that for no reason and I was just kidding about the bet. I would never humiliate someone on youtube. EVER!!!! I hope you forgive me for all the bickering we started. PLEASE!!!;)(F)(F)

This is what I know,

R32's WILL NOT BE AT JAMAICA FOR LONG, They will go to 207th st for 10 car (C) service.

The R42's are currently being replaced

The (R) WILL Get R160's but We will have to wait, I think this Fall

The (F) will still have R46's but There will be more R160's on the (F)

As for the (V) there is plans to put the R160's on this line by 2010

There is also plans to put them on the (G) 5-car sets

Rerember Jamaica will Have over 800 R160's so They will be on all (E)100%,(F) 70% ®45%,(G) 30% or more (V) 20%,

That's How I think is what is going to happen

But If they wanted to they could make the (F) 100% R160 as well as the (G) (share equipment, they can also do this with R46's) and make the (V) 100% R46.

slightly off topic, but im curious to know, do u think (NYCT) should transfer control of the (F)(G) from Jamaica to Coney Island? Jamaica is a very tiny yard (from a google satallite image, it looks like a square box at the bottom of Flushing Meadows-Corona Park) and cannot handle all the cars that run on the five Queens Boulevard Lines. that is why so many cars on the (E)(F)(G)(R) get stored elsewhere, like Coney Island, 38th Street, and various unused tracks in the system. this is also why i believe it is not getting the rest of the five-car R160s. Jamaica is crammed all the time, but Coney Island is a big yard and should be able to handle two additional lines.

i dislike the R42s as well, but even if Jamaica gets the rest of R160s, it will not be enough to make the (F) exclusively those cars. i still refuse to believe R160s going on the (R)(V) as to me, it would be rather pointless. leave them exclusively R46s.

I think they should send the (G) to Coney Island to relieve Jamaica Yard of the equivalent of 50 (or 60, if they added cars to the (G) for the Church Ave. extension) 60-foot cars. Coney Island has the space, because they recently gave up 40 spare cars to Jamaica. If Jamaica sends the (G) to Coney Island, then they can retire 5 SMEE's - enough to send all the R32's to 207th and retire another R42 train or two. The (F), however, needs 45 trains and Coney Island isn't big enough to handle 450 additional cars. The yard right now only carries about ~800 IINM. Maybe a split could work.

As for the (R) and (V) getting R160s, I think the (R) will get R160s and the (V) may get them. Neither line really needs them but it would make sharing equipment on all lines easier in case of an emergency. And one more thing, there are enough R160s ordered to make the (F) all R160. The (F) is 30 trains away from being all R160. There's 7 trains left in R160A option I and 21 trains in R160A option II, to do so. Then you have 14 more trains in R160B option II that you can use on the (R) and (V).

I think they should send the (G) to Coney Island to relieve Jamaica Yard of the equivalent of 50 (or 60, if they added cars to the (G) for the Church Ave. extension) 60-foot cars. Coney Island has the space, because they recently gave up 40 spare cars to Jamaica. If Jamaica sends the (G) to Coney Island, then they can retire 5 SMEE's - enough to send all the R32's to 207th and retire another R42 train or two. The (F), however, needs 45 trains and Coney Island isn't big enough to handle 450 additional cars. The yard right now only carries about ~800 IINM. Maybe a split could work.

As for the (R) and (V) getting R160s, I think the (R) will get R160s and the (V) may get them. Neither line really needs them but it would make sharing equipment on all lines easier in case of an emergency. And one more thing, there are enough R160s ordered to make the (F) all R160. The (F) is 30 trains away from being all R160. There's 7 trains left in R160A option I and 21 trains in R160A option II, to do so. Then you have 14 more trains in R160B option II that you can use on the (R) and (V).

The (G) is not going to CI Yet, And they don't do splits (it would make sense for them to do that) But As for the (F) being 100% R160's is not going to happen, The (R) might get a big bulk of them from what I heard. But it is possible, But won't happen.

Because of the new management structure with the General Managers and Group General Managers, CIYD and JYD are in different divisions and there is no way, for performance and accountability reasons, that the F would ever be split up in any way between CIYD and JYD in regard to equipment assignments.

A word about the G: eventually the G will have CI equipment and Church Ave. will be the dominant terminal. Now in the world of internet web sites, eventually means next month, but in the world of MTA/NYCT, it won't happen till June at the earliest when our next pick is expected to go into effect. For one thing, current picked employee work assignments are in effect till then and reporting locations aren't being changed. Court Square will first have to become the official 24/7 north terminal. Virtually all G line jobs would have to report to Church Ave., vs. the small amount we have now. Then the yard assignment for equipment can be changed.

I heard in the past that R68/68A would take over when CI supplies the equipment when Church Ave. becomes the dominant terminal. However, IMO, R160's would be more appropriate due to weekend OPTO operation. I don't like the idea of locked doors in between cars on 75' cars in underground OPTO service for security reasons. It is insane, expensive and impractical personell wise to run 68's with 2 man operation and 160's with 1man operation.

The bottom line is this: nothing is happening anytime soon.

Archived