East Hampton Bus Shuffle

JohnQPine

The 10C managed to leave just before my train pulled in at 10:28am. It's supposed to leave at 10:35am. Thanks to Hampton Jitney (which operates the 10c) I almost missed getting out to Napeague, if it wasn't for someone who gave me a lift. I guess HJ doesn't want the transit buses it operates to connect with LIRR.

Also the S92 is being kicked out of the Village of East Hampton, and will now only stop at the train station. Snobby Hamptons at its finest.

Anyway, here's the official notice from Suffolk Transit.

Effective, Tuesday, September 1, 2009,

all trips on SCT Bus Routes 10B and 10C

will stop at the East Hampton Railroad Station.

All 10B and 10C trips will continue to stop

on Newtown Lane.

Effective, Tuesday, September 1, 2009,

S92 buses will no longer stop on Newtown Lane and Main St

in the Village of East Hampton.

All S92 trips in the Village of East Hampton

will begin and end at the East Hampton Railroad Station.

All bus connections for the S92, 10B and 10C

will be made at the East Hampton Railroad Station.

eh, I see that as a benefit for S92 riders... always felt that the routing it took in E. Hampton was rather circuitous (from the RR station, to newtown lane, to main st, to buell ln (sp?), to NY114)... as if the s92 isn't long enough...

instead, it'll (probably) end up taking race lane, and a couple other roads out there I don't remember the names of, off-top, to get to 114.... it would save at least 5 minutes... at least...

I don't see this shuffle as coming into effect due to "snobby hamptons at its finest"... if that were the case, the S92 route wouldn't have EVER entered the shopping district (or whatever you want to call it) on newtown ln, and main st, at all....

eh, I see that as a benefit for S92 riders... always felt that the routing it took in E. Hampton was rather circuitous (from the RR station, to newtown lane, to main st, to buell ln (sp?), to NY114)... as if the s92 isn't long enough...

instead, it'll (probably) end up taking race lane, and a couple other roads out there I don't remember the names of, off-top, to get to 114.... it would save at least 5 minutes... at least...

I don't see this shuffle as coming into effect due to "snobby hamptons at its finest"... if that were the case, the S92 route wouldn't have EVER entered the shopping district (or whatever you want to call it) on newtown ln, and main st, at all....

But it's bad for anyone in the shopping district taking the bus. All I'm saying is I dont think this was done to save time. Because there are many other points along the S92 where time could be saved. The biggie of course is the run out to Sag Harbor, and in a way, Southampton Village.

The S92 sorta runs like a feeder route in the Hamptons, instead of a more straight run.

Of course these other suggestions require more buses for the ppl in Sag Harbor and Southampton Village. But that is needed anyway.

But what I would do is have the S92 run straight on 27 from East Hampton, and have another route, called the S93, it would run from Montauk LIRR via the 10C & old S92 route via Sag Harbor and Southampton Village. It would run to Riverhead Center. This would better distrubute loads on overcrowded S92 buses and provide a quicker route. I've always felt their needed to be another route to Riverhead.

The 10C would be eliminated.

Of course having the S92 skipping the village saves time. I just hope the motivation behind it had to do with scheduling and nothing else.

Only other thing they got to get rid of is that North Rd loop.

• 4 months later...

Archived