Do You Recall The 1998 Switch?

EE Broadway Local

2008 will be a decade since the M.T.A. ended tradition with the (C) (:( switch that paired Sixth Avenue to The Bronx and Eighth Avenue to Washington Heights. Looking backward, do you recall it and the (C) on the Grand Concourse?

Oh i clearly remember that..

Knowing that if i missed that Charlie there would be two Delta's going downtown on the express track before another Charile would come..

Sometimes i would just walk to Fordham Road, weather permitting of coruse..

Would the B/C have done better today if the swap had never taken place? I mean this would give Concourse Riders a choice to 6th and / or 8th Av's, while Washington Heights had The 7 Av 1 Line, and a choice of the A to 8th Av and the B to 6th Av. I never really rode the B/C past Museum of Natural History-81 St, and I only used to take the D to Yankee Std-161 St, so I wasnt too familiar with how the B/C operated beyond Central Park West. I mean I knew where and when they operating their full length and / or weekend routes, but today, would it still be feasible for the B/C to have them on their old traditional lines?

By the way, I have the g.o. poster , as to when this took place =)

Would the B/C have done better today if the swap had never taken place? I mean this would give Concourse Riders a choice to 6th and / or 8th Av's, while Washington Heights had The 7 Av 1 Line, and a choice of the A to 8th Av and the B to 6th Av. I never really rode the B/C past Museum of Natural History-81 St, and I only used to take the D to Yankee Std-161 St, so I wasnt too familiar with how the B/C operated beyond Central Park West. I mean I knew where and when they operating their full length and / or weekend routes, but today, would it still be feasible for the B/C to have them on their old traditional lines?

By the way, I have the g.o. poster , as to when this took place =)

The reason it was done mostly was beacuse of car equpiment, Charile trains started being serviced at 207th and Pitkin Barns, while Bravo service was being done mostly in Coney Island.

Right now as i see it, most of the CPW riders need 8th Ave service, not 6th Ave.

So this service pattern works...

Get back to me in the Spring though...

The reason it was done mostly was beacuse of car equpiment, Charile trains started being serviced at 207th and Pitkin Barns, while Bravo service was being done mostly in Coney Island.

Right now as i see it, most of the CPW riders need 8th Ave service, not 6th Ave.

So this service pattern works...

Get back to me in the Spring though...

Exactly. Yes, thats what I had learned after the switch. It was in reguards to car equipment. So then I guess todays pattern works then

Thanks RTO-Man;)

I also remember the Yankee Stadium Subway Race using the C, D, and 4 trains too.
Oh yeah! I remembered those too! It gave a little more variety than what it is now. now using two orange lines (B and D) and one green line (the 4).

Soon they might have to add MNRR and change the name to "Train Race to the Stadium" instead of "Subway race to the Stadium". I know who'll win almost everytime....:(

Oh yeah! I remembered those too! It gave a little more variety than what it is now. now using two orange lines (B and D) and one green line (the 4).

Soon they might have to add MNRR and change the name to "Train Race to the Stadium" instead of "Subway race to the Stadium". I know who'll win almost everytime....:(

what yankee fan doesnt remember that!!!! and as to who will win? you cant include MNR. It wont be fair! its only 2 stops and starts at 42nd!

Archived