Bleecker Street Station

BMT4Life

Please excuse me if this has been asked before.

Why was the Bleecker Street station constructed the way it was allowing transfers only from the downtown side of the station?

I know the Bleecker Street station platforms are uneven but a portal could have been extended to allow all transfers to all platforms.

It certainly looks doable.

I bet it is do-able, and plus, do you know how many commuters that will assist in a transfer to the East Side IRT from the B/D/F/V...I feel that would help alot.

For example, If im At Brighton Beach on a weekday, and need Union Square, I can easily take the Bravo Express to Atlantic/Pacific for the 4 or 5, OR Travel to West 4th, then the F 1 stop to 14th, then the L to Union Square. OR I would be forced to Sit on the Quincy Local ( which I dont mind, it is the Q :( ; or the B exp to Dekalb for the Q ), then the Quincy straight to Union Square. The B straight to Bdwy / Lafayette Bleecker for a Bronx Bound 6, would be extremely uselful.

I bet it is do-able, and plus, do you know how many commuters that will assist in a transfer to the East Side IRT from the B/D/F/V...I feel that would help alot.

For example, If im At Brighton Beach on a weekday, and need Union Square, I can easily take the Bravo Express to Atlantic/Pacific for the 4 or 5, OR Travel to West 4th, then the F 1 stop to 14th, then the L to Union Square. OR I would be forced to Sit on the Quincy Local ( which I dont mind, it is the Q :( ; or the B exp to Dekalb for the Q ), then the Quincy straight to Union Square. The B straight to Bdwy / Lafayette Bleecker for a Bronx Bound 6, would be extremely uselful.

Actually, if I were you I would just stick with the (Q) straight because:

1. no transfer would be needed.

2. might just get ya in faster.

BUT, if you're not in a rush and got time to kill, you can do any of the above you stated.

Please excuse me if this has been asked before.

Why was the Bleecker Street station constructed the way it was allowing transfers only from the downtown side of the station?

I know the Bleecker Street station platforms are uneven but a portal could have been extended to allow all transfers to all platforms.

I recall this question being asked years ago. as far as the uneveness, all the stations from 14 to spring was done like this so the even spacing between stations was consistant. as far as the lack of a transfer to the uptown side, it had something to do with the condition of the ground for construction. I believe it was mostly soft soil or marsh that hampered the addition of a new portal. It could be more than possible now. But all this was from memory of something back when i was an intern at NYCT in the late 90's

Please note that the Bleecker Street station was one of the original local stations on the first subway system built - meaning it pre-dated by 30-years the building of the IND lines. At that time, the local stations faced each other and were built to accomodate trains of six cars, the usual length of local trains then. In the 1950's - many of the stations were lengthened to handle ten-car trains through out the system.

I recall this question being asked years ago. as far as the uneveness, all the stations from 14 to spring was done like this so the even spacing between stations was consistant. as far as the lack of a transfer to the uptown side, it had something to do with the condition of the ground for construction. I believe it was mostly soft soil or marsh that hampered the addition of a new portal. It could be more than possible now. But all this was from memory of something back when i was an intern at NYCT in the late 90's

Thank you for your response,

That would make sense since skyscrapers were not built on the soft soil making up the ground around the area. Hence that is why if you look at the New York skyline from south to north there is a very visible gap in between them in areas from Soho to Chelsea which everyone should know. But subways and stations were built on soft and hard soil before and it could have been done now.

Were they any recent plans to eventually build that portal? The transfer on the downtown side is a very busy transfer during the day from what I recently seen and I could only imagine how busy the uptown platforms can be.

the idea has always floated around. Dont know if it ever made it to the table of the transit powers that be. i can almost garauntee the transfer between Jay st onthe A,C,F and lawence st on the R will be a reality before you can transfer between the uptown 6 and the 6th ave line at Bway-Laff/Bleecker

Archived