LIRR Power Car

Harry

Here's an interesting photograph of a LIRR Power Car in West Hempstead taken on April 20, 1969 by Joe T. All of his photographs and collections used by me on this website with his blessing.

IMG_00432.jpg

If anyone has the story to this one I'd love to read about it.

Hi Harry

1969 is a little before my time but if had to guess, I think that it is a supplimental power source for 3rd rail power on the West Hempstead branch.

That branch up until recently always had just barely adequate power and was the last branch to receive M-1 cars when they were placed into service in the late 60s and early 70s. I hope this helps.

Hi Harry

1969 is a little before my time but if had to guess, I think that it is a supplimental power source for 3rd rail power on the West Hempstead branch.

That branch up until recently always had just barely adequate power and was the last branch to receive M-1 cars when they were placed into service in the late 60s and early 70s. I hope this helps.

What you wrote could be true because I can see a sub station in the background as well as what looks like an MP54 to the far left. I don't know how much power the MP cars drew but when the M-1s started to show up the power car could have very well been used for extra power.

Thanks for the response.

Archived