135 CNG bus order placed

Fan Railer

I wonder if this is the bid for the replacement of the Ex-PBLs (700s & 7200s)?

Also i'm curious if this is New Flyer's way back into the NY Transit scene...

I hope its New Flyer, I like the NGs but more diversity would be nice, those new New Flyers look hot :tup:.

New Flyer Industries is NOT dealing with (MTA) anymore!

I wonder if this is the beginning of the end for alot of the former PBL 05 CNG's. It's too bad, I liked those, they always seemed smoother and quicker than the ones at LIB.

They still seem to run fine too. Maybe LIB could get some of them to replace to the Cummins stuff we still have around here.

The former QSC 05's are in the best shape and I still love 'em. Sure nice to have a series 50G engine and sliding windows.

First of all the title is a bit misleading. The order hasn't been placed yet, they're just bidding for them. The order doesn't necessarily have to go through in this form. (For example, the original R188 contract talks about CBTC and expansion packages and all that but a very different, non-CBTC plan is introduced in the (MTA) Capital Plan).

Ontopic, this order is apparently supposed to replace all the 3-digit O5 CNG's on the property (and maybe some of the most reliable C40LF's will stay, because I don't think the order is big enough to replace all of the older CNG's) as well as a lot of the DOT O5 CNG's. I always liked those O5 CNG's, even with the annoying PSHH TCH TCH TCH every time the B/O stopped accelerating.

The D60LF demo was around 2003 not last year!

Lies..m that was some time last years that wasn't 2003. MTA demo a low floor New Flyer artic and a Nova. And they both ran on the Bx12.

The New flyer was a ugly Gray with a red strip on it and people posted it on this site so it wasn't in 03. I don't believe this site was even up in 03

New Flyer might be in the mix, so far the manufacturers are NABI, New Flyer and Orion. I'd be happy as hell if we got something other than Orion. I would say Go NABI!....but thats only a dream....

Since NovaBus and Gillig dont make CNG buses, its currently under for bidding, NABI has had a stronghold since the production of the 60-BRT CNGs, and the revamped NABI 416s that NJT are currently receiving, and the 40-LFW Hybrids that Bee-Line are getting. NABI is holding strong in the bus market.

On the other hand, New Flyer has been getting orders from all over the place. If they were to get back with the MTA, we would most definitely see C40LFRs which would be really nice, cause those damn C40LFs have got to go, No offense to the C40LF lovers out there, but those buses are tired and near death. My sister, my bro in-law & I rode some 3 of them a few weeks back bound for IKEA and they sounded tired. Driver would make the bus go fast but it struggled horribly....then the thing goes OOS at ikea and gets towed back to the depot.

This will be interesting, but most of us know that Orion will most likely get the CNG contract...

New Flyer might be in the mix, so far the manufacturers are NABI, New Flyer and Orion. I'd be happy as hell if we got something other than Orion. I would say Go NABI!....but thats only a dream....

Since NovaBus and Gillig dont make CNG buses, its currently under for bidding, NABI has had a stronghold since the production of the 60-BRT CNGs, and the revamped NABI 416s that NJT are currently receiving, and the 40-LFW Hybrids that Bee-Line are getting. NABI is holding strong in the bus market.

On the other hand, New Flyer has been getting orders from all over the place. If they were to get back with the MTA, we would most definitely see C40LFRs which would be really nice, cause those damn C40LFs have got to go, No offense to the C40LF lovers out there, but those buses are tired and near death. My sister, my bro in-law & I rode some 3 of them a few weeks back bound for IKEA and they sounded tired. Driver would make the bus go fast but it struggled horribly....then the thing goes OOS at ikea and gets towed back to the depot.

This will be interesting, but most of us know that Orion will most likely get the CNG contract...

Yeah they stopped maintaining and repainting them much because they're close to retirement.

Lies..m that was some time last years that wasn't 2003. MTA demo a low floor New Flyer artic and a Nova. And they both ran on the Bx12.

The New flyer was a ugly Gray with a red strip on it and people posted it on this site so it wasn't in 03. I don't believe this site was even up in 03

The D60LF was demoed in 2000. The route it ran on was the M23.

Ok my bad lol....I knew it was early 2000's I didn't remember excat year!

The look of the bus can be changed, but the important thing about the Designline CNG HEV is:

"The DesignLine CNG HEV utilizes the same micro-turbine propulsion system as is utilized with the diesel fueled system."

Don't forget that the Capstone microturbine uses air-bearings which need no oil or coolents.

It was. I was on the Bx7 or M100 last years when I saw it at 207st/B'way. 89' Liberty MCI took a pic, when he was on my bus going past it. It was a hideous colored bus. MTA tested that, a Van Hool AG300 from AC Transit, a Mercedes Citaro G, and a NovaBus LFS artic. MTA is getting close to using their brains when testing and purchasing buses. The Hamster would be considered revived and turning in their heads, if they would test multiple buses at a given time on the same route, at the same time. That means they should have had a 3 door, New Flyer, Van Hool AG300, NovaBus LFS, and Mercedes Citaro G, articulated buses all on the Bx12, at the same time, running for the same amount of days, on the same days.........

Archived