Back to School... Your Thoughts

mark1447

This is intended for students of either Elementary [Highly doubt any here], High School, College, university and so on..

So now that the Summer Vacation is over [Though Summer won't end till late this month], how was your summer anyways? Was it good or bad? Do you wanna go back to school or wished to see a longer summer?

My summer was kinda interesting. I had a summer job that was rather okay. I registered for my college classes and have a pretty interesting schedule: weekend and Monday classes! I met these two girls from Staten Island at the mall! B) I have a feeling that things will get better...I just really, REALLY dread my 18th birthday! B)

Me and my wife gotta prep our kid for school thank god for sept.heheehe(K)<R>

LOL, got that right, that means from like 8 to 2:45PM free time xD, depends tho.. I gotta keep an eye with my old High School this week to see if they gonna except for a job. Of course I will apply for college too.... Gonna work till i get ready to reapply for the (MTA) in future..

I hate it. Means that I actually have to work now.

Question, if you were a Teacher, and u get the whole summer off, do you still get paid or the final pay check in june?

...legal adult. legal adult. legal adult...

On topic, there are a few kids who actually want school to start.

I'm not one of them.

Lol, tell me about it! B)

When I was in high school, I didn't really care about returning for the new year, probably because there were so much stuff to do at school as well as the neighborhood surrounding my school rather than just stay home and sulk.

Question, if you were a Teacher, and u get the whole summer off, do you still get paid or the final pay check in june?

I'm not a teacher but I can answer your questions. Teachers get paid vacation during the summertime. They continue to receive their normal paychecks. Since I'm not a teacher, I have to "work" during the summer but since there is no "work" to be done since there are no classes, I do whatever I want to pass the time and get paid for it.

I went to high school outside the US and I am attending college here now. I cannot understand why American college kids need four months off just to recharge their batteries. Back in middle and high school, a six week summer break started to get real tedious towards the end. Here, it's sixteen weeks instead.

I spent the first six weeks taking it easy and enjoying myself; played a lot of sports, especially soccer, and started taking tennis lessons (something I had wanted to do for years but hadn't had the opportunity). I also volunteered at the World Science Festival (http://www.worldsciencefestival.com/) held on various college campuses from June 10-14. Other than that, I just explored the city or went to my college library to watch movies for free at the multimedia division.

I took a summer course over the next six weeks, which was hectic because it packed a semester's worth of material into one-and-a-half months, but I was glad to be back in a classroom after the break. I also welcomed a friend from high school who is attending Bard College in the fall; knowing he has a keen interest military history and affairs, I planned a trip to the Intrepid Museum.

The last four weeks have been dreadfully slow and boring; other than visiting the Statue of Liberty with my family, there has been nothing worth noting, and I spent most of the day everyday on my computer, often logged in to NYCTF reading threads or commenting on them.

Finally starting classes tomorrow (today since its 12:49am) after a summer break that was a tad too long.

I'm not a teacher but I can answer your questions. Teachers get paid vacation during the summertime. They continue to receive their normal paychecks. Since I'm not a teacher, I have to "work" during the summer but since there is no "work" to be done since there are no classes, I do whatever I want to pass the time and get paid for it.

Seems like fun. Why would you want to work for the (MTA) if you get paid to do little or nothing all summer in your current job?

Seems like fun. Why would you want to work for the (MTA) if you get paid to do little or nothing all summer?

Been with the Dept of Education for 5 years and counting. Time to move to new pastures. I will make more with the MTA and I will be doing something I enjoy.

My school year (I'm going into 10th grade) is going to start in two days. Tomorrow's my orientation which will last an hour - I basically get my schedule and hear some announcemetns and that's it. I don't mind school starting again, because next year is supposed to be (relatively) easy in my school, and I want to see friends regularly again.

The only thing I'm dreading is the cross country season for the first two months of school. I didn't do the workouts I was supposed to do this month, so I'll have a rough start to the season (lot of soreness to say the least). I'll also be doing other extracurriculars so I'll be busy a lot of the time, but I'm pretty sure I can manage it all. My summer's been good, but I agree with MAA89 that our summers are too long and leave students forgetting too much information and possibly leaving them with a rough transition period into school the first few weeks of September.

Am I ready to start school? - Of course not.

I still want some part of the summer in New York. (I went to Guyana from June 26th - August 15th) I didn't do nothing besides taking part in a wedding and that's about it.

As for school, I'm going to start as a junior this year so that really means college applications, ACT, SAT, PSAT, etc. I also have to start doing some volunteer work around the school for service hours and start training for another year of track & field.

Do you swear that you won't get senioritis? ;)

Tell me about it, Senior year was my worst year ever! I still managed to graduate with a 3.1 average and at the top 20 of my class but not without pulling myself through a slump. ;)

$15,000 worth of loans for a BS degree in economics that didn't get me a job.

I hope you realize you'll be paying that off till your fifties. Did you ever fill out a FAFSA or receive any scholarships?

Yeah, because even with FAFSA alone, the most anyone would be taking out for loans would be $5,000-$10,000.

Yeah, because even with FAFSA alone, the most anyone would be taking out for loans would be $5,000-$10,000.

Wow, that really sucks. I am starting my junior year of college and I have yet to take out even a penny in loans, but then again I'm going to school at home.

Wow, that really sucks. I am starting my junior year of college and I have yet to take out even a penny in loans, but then again I'm going to school at home.

Well it depends what school you're going to. A private school like NYU would mean more money, a public city university college would require less. I go to Staten Island College and I don't have to pay a dime! Even when I was slated to go to Marymount Manhattan, whose tuition is $28,000, I still wouldn't be paying a dime. All I know is that I want to transfer to NYU in two years, so I'll need to save up a lot of money for that! Even so, my friend goes to Cornell University, whose tuition is $60,000 and he isn't paying a dime!!!

Well it depends what school you're going to. A private school like NYU would mean more money, a public city university college would require less. I go to Staten Island College and I don't have to pay a dime! Even when I was slated to go to Marymount Manhattan, whose tuition is $28,000, I still wouldn't be paying a dime. All I know is that I want to transfer to NYU in two years, so I'll need to save up a lot of money for that! Even so, my friend goes to Cornell University, whose tuition is $60,000 and he isn't paying a dime!!!

I go to St. Francis, I think is is about $6 or 7,000.

Archived