Back to School... Your Thoughts

mark1447

I go to St. Francis, I think is is about $6 or 7,000.

So does my friend. I was inaccurate with that loan post so don't pay any mind to it. It's funny how that my mom was applying for courses with Kaplan University and she would have had to take out $7-8,000 in loans, and only $7000 with financial aid!

That is what turned me off about college right after I completed my first year. I really hate filling out a FAFSA. Meanwhile, I don't think I'll ever get any scholarships and I refuse to take out student loans. After spending a year in college, I don't think I want to go back.

Well you never know because it all depends on your high school credentials and your college credentials as well. I could have got into NYU but I wasn't prepared by my high school well enough for the SATs. It sucks that we're all judged based on numbers. I wish the school system worked different.

I never liked the first day of school :cry:. I mean with the first day of college, traveling during rush hour it gets packed on the train and you get to know the person ur standing next to. Now with K-12 students going to school, you REALLY get to know the person ur standing next to lol packed like sardines.

Rush hour is dealt better in the summer with me.

$15,000 worth of loans for a BS degree in economics that didn't get me a job.

That's the way it goes...college doesn't mean a job anymore even though everyone tells you it does...once you walk out "you're on your own" and that degree, that school, won't mean anything...hell I know Ivy League kids who are still looking for jobs or "figuring out what they want to do" - heard that sob story before...

As for what you do next, ultimately it's your call but I wouldn't recommend law school...there's plenty of ******* businessmen (the ones who get the economics jobs), and already too many lawyers out there. Law school is a great way to go even further into debt with no promise of a job on the other side. Plus many leave law school after a year cuz it's not what they're expecting, nothing gained, a year's tuition lost. I have a couple people I know who went or are going that route. Ironically the only one who still likes it is a complete dips**** and basically has been ever since I knew him. So I wouldn't recommend that...especially if you're not one of those people who has a "passion" for the law. That's just my advice on that, take it or leave it...

See that's the thing...no one really knows what the heck they want to do yet, no matter what age. People in college are in their junior or senior years even and still have undeclared majors. I wouldn't be surprised if I see them in the back of a McDonald's frying burgers and crap...not saying this will happen to me, but I just hope the economy gets better in 2013 (in my dreams).

That's the way it goes...college doesn't mean a job anymore even though everyone tells you it does...once you walk out "you're on your own" and that degree, that school, won't mean anything...hell I know Ivy League kids who are still looking for jobs or "figuring out what they want to do" - heard that sob story before...

I think its a matter of how you decide to go about getting a job. College isn't supposed to mean Auto-Job. At least I don't think so. I think College is supposed to say to employers and yourself that you give a damn enough to be more knowledgeable in general. And unless you're one of those people who coasted getting barely Cs then you most likely are when its over. I went into school studying computer programming/science but I don't plan to work in the field.

Too many people are caught up in studying a subject because they're told its where the money is. Try taking up something you're actually interested in and make yourself unique. Also I didn't have to take out a single loan to get into school. Try starting from a community college. It ain't a bad idea to start in a 2 year school, get good grades so 4 yr schools will be willing to toss you financial aid that you don't have to pay back.

I think its a matter of how you decide to go about getting a job. College isn't supposed to mean Auto-Job. At least I don't think so. I think College is supposed to say to employers and yourself that you give a damn enough to be more knowledgeable in general. And unless you're one of those people who coasted getting barely Cs then you most likely are when its over. I went into school studying computer programming/science but I don't plan to work in the field.

Too many people are caught up in studying a subject because they're told its where the money is. Try taking up something you're actually interested in and make yourself unique. Also I didn't have to take out a single loan to get into school. Try starting from a community college. It ain't a bad idea to start in a 2 year school, get good grades so 4 yr schools will be willing to toss you financial aid that you don't have to pay back.

That's the path I took, go to Staten Island College for two years and hopefully make it into NYU afterwards. FWIW, transfer students have a better chance of making it into NYU than freshman applicants.

That's the path I took, go to Staten Island College for two years and hopefully make it into NYU afterwards. FWIW, transfer students have a better chance of making it into NYU than freshman applicants.

I wouldn't go to NYU even if they begged me. What's the sense in paying (whats the tuition now like 80k) for an education u can get at half the price at probably a better school?

I wouldn't go to NYU even if they begged me. What's the sense in paying (whats the tuition now like 80k) for an education u can get at half the price at probably a better school?

I don't really know, but since I couldn't get in initially, I'll try again in two years. Hey, that's where I want to be.

See that's the thing...no one really knows what the heck they want to do yet, no matter what age. People in college are in their junior or senior years even and still have undeclared majors. I wouldn't be surprised if I see them in the back of a McDonald's frying burgers and crap...not saying this will happen to me, but I just hope the economy gets better in 2013 (in my dreams).

Well the thing is a bunch of young people out there today just want to b**** and blame the government and the economy for not "giving" them the jobs they're "entitled" to. I always respond by telling these people that no one is entitled to shit...you have to earn it. Yes, it's a recession but there is not a universal hiring freeze and jobs CAN BE HAD by those willing to get them. Don't want to wait tables? Fine. But when you can't find anything else, going back home and moving in with mommy and daddy while they pay all your expenses and you do nothing except send your resume all around the internet and blow their life savings on booze and travel, is NOT a real option. Do that for six months and then even when you CAN get an employer to interview you, you're stumped and fail the "what have you been doing for the last 6 months?" question.

These idiots just don't get it. All that education and they still lack basic common sense.

College helps get your name in a list in some places, but it's not as valuable as they say it is, and if you know what you want to do, in a lot of cases it's not worth the cost (especially private colleges - at least I paid those f***ing loans off :mad:).

People need to learn to pursue what interests them but most of that comes on your own because let's face it, few are really interested in what you study in school because unless you want to teach 90% of it is completely irrelevant to getting a job. Art history? English? History? Those are very general subjects with very specific jobs, of which there aren't a lot. Then along comes business and law and people think "I can do this for a living...I actually KNOW of people who aren't teachers who do this!" Then they see the big money and it's a done deal. But they don't like the subject, they never did, they just want to learn how "to make money". Meanwhile everyone else does the exact same thing and if you have a crush of people all applying for the same pool of jobs.

I knew going into my current job I wouldn't like it but that I needed to pay off my student loans.

It's amazing how many college kids you ask what they want to do and they say "work in a consulting firm." Two things:

1-What the hell does that even mean? A janitor works in a consulting firm, too...

2-In order to be trusted as a consultant, you have to actually have EXPERIENCE, not be a previously unemployed college kid who used to caddy at daddy's country club on the weekend. This is also when business went bad. When some clowns with MBA's started making decisions instead of people who understood what the company actually did.

Science is "geeky" when you're growing up but people would be better off picking something along those lines. #1 hardest job to fill in the US is an engineer (and not a locomotive engineer)... but let's be real no one is exposed to that in school it's just formulas, problem sets and labs. all the "cool shit" jobs in those fields are not shown to kids and they grow up and have no idea of the things real people do to get paid.

Ask ANY kid what they want to do growing up and unless that kid's father or mother is a lawyer or businessman they will NEVER tell you that, they'll tell you construction worker, or T/O, or engineer, or firefighter, or cop, or truck driver, or architect, or athlete, or president, or sports coach/GM, or video game designer, teacher, or even doctor. But NOT lawyer or businessman.

As for what you do next, ultimately it's your call but I wouldn't recommend law school...there's plenty of ******* businessmen (the ones who get the economics jobs), and already too many lawyers out there. Law school is a great way to go even further into debt with no promise of a job on the other side. Plus many leave law school after a year cuz it's not what they're expecting, nothing gained, a year's tuition lost. I have a couple people I know who went or are going that route. Ironically the only one who still likes it is a complete dips**** and basically has been ever since I knew him. So I wouldn't recommend that...especially if you're not one of those people who has a "passion" for the law. That's just my advice on that, take it or leave it...

My dad didn't even complete colllege and he got a job as a computer programmer. Back in the 1970's when companies actually hired Americans there was a surplus of jobs. A high school graduate was all but guaranteed a civil service job. A college graduate was set for life. Now with NAFTA, outsourcing, illegal immigration, etc, there are a bunch of college graduate who wasted 4 (in my case 5) years of their life and tens of thousands of dollars for a useless piece of paper. I tried the military. It was a nightmare. I'm thinking about law. As a back up plan I'm taking a vocational course at night.

College helps get your name in a list in some places, but it's not as valuable as they say it is, and if you know what you want to do, in a lot of cases it's not worth the cost (especially private colleges - at least I paid those f***ing loans off :mad:).

People need to learn to pursue what interests them but most of that comes on your own because let's face it, few are really interested in what you study in school because unless you want to teach 90% of it is completely irrelevant to getting a job. Art history? English? History? Those are very general subjects with very specific jobs, of which there aren't a lot. Then along comes business and law and people think "I can do this for a living...I actually KNOW of people who aren't teachers who do this!" Then they see the big money and it's a done deal. But they don't like the subject, they never did, they just want to learn how "to make money". Meanwhile everyone else does the exact same thing and if you have a crush of people all applying for the same pool of jobs.

I knew going into my current job I wouldn't like it but that I needed to pay off my student loans.

It's amazing how many college kids you ask what they want to do and they say "work in a consulting firm." Two things:

1-What the hell does that even mean? A janitor works in a consulting firm, too...

2-In order to be trusted as a consultant, you have to actually have EXPERIENCE, not be a previously unemployed college kid who used to caddy at daddy's country club on the weekend. This is also when business went bad. When some clowns with MBA's started making decisions instead of people who understood what the company actually did.

Science is "geeky" when you're growing up but people would be better off picking something along those lines. #1 hardest job to fill in the US is an engineer (and not a locomotive engineer)... but let's be real no one is exposed to that in school it's just formulas, problem sets and labs. all the "cool shit" jobs in those fields are not shown to kids and they grow up and have no idea of the things real people do to get paid.

Ask ANY kid what they want to do growing up and unless that kid's father or mother is a lawyer or businessman they will NEVER tell you that, they'll tell you construction worker, or T/O, or engineer, or firefighter, or cop, or truck driver, or architect, or athlete, or president, or sports coach/GM, or video game designer, teacher, or even doctor. But NOT lawyer or businessman.

I don't want to give the impression that I'm hyping college to be this fantastic thing. I mean personally when day one came around I hated it. Sure college is a great experience, provided you put your energy into the right things while doing it. I hate to say it but a lot of people are doing stuff for a living they didn't study to do in college. Seems to be some sort of norm here. Just bugs me that when I hear someone complain about college and their reason for complaining is that it didn't get them a job. Regardless of whether you go to college or not you gotta get your own damn job. Having the college degree gets you looked at but then you gotta show off just how knowledgeable you really are after that. It kills me when I'm out there in the field on an IT assignment and these 'techies' that got their degree seem less competent than me who has had less experience and no degree yet.

I don't want to give the impression that I'm hyping college to be this fantastic thing. I mean personally when day one came around I hated it. Sure college is a great experience, provided you put your energy into the right things while doing it. I hate to say it but a lot of people are doing stuff for a living they didn't study to do in college. Seems to be some sort of norm here. Just bugs me that when I hear someone complain about college and their reason for complaining is that it didn't get them a job. Regardless of whether you go to college or not you gotta get your own damn job. Having the college degree gets you looked at but then you gotta show off just how knowledgeable you really are after that. It kills me when I'm out there in the field on an IT assignment and these 'techies' that got their degree seem less competent than me who has had less experience and no degree yet.

Good post. My main complaint is that college claims to "prepare people for the real world and get them jobs" and it DOES NOT DO THAT AT ALL. It does not, and should not be expected to get people jobs, as you said, and I agree with. However, college increases your book intelligence, yes, but it does not at all prepare you for the real world. It is essentially 4 more years of high school.

Good post. My main complaint is that college claims to "prepare people for the real world and get them jobs" and it DOES NOT DO THAT AT ALL. It does not, and should not be expected to get people jobs, as you said, and I agree with. However, college increases your book intelligence, yes, but it does not at all prepare you for the real world. It is essentially 4 more years of high school.

Eh I wouldn't compare it to High School really. I personally thought High School was an absolute waste of my time. I'd have preferred being home schooled than dealing with the crap I had to go through with that. What I like about college is the diverse group of people you get to meet socially within your own class and the professors are vastly more interesting. High School was one big popularity contest.

Archived