The (F) Train

Urbanfortitude

The (F) is just a great all-around line, probably one of the most representative of the entire TA system. It runs through neighborhoods of all income levels and cultures and it's not uncommon to hear six or more different languages in the same car during rush hour. It has a great mix of rolling stock, and until the most recent reassignment, it was possible to catch a 32, 40, 42, 46 and 160 all during a rush. It's one of the few lines in the entire system to normally have an express run at all times. At some point throughout the day, connections are available with every other line in the system, minus the three shuttles. It has both indoor and outdoor track segments, and express tracks that do all sorts of wild things south of Jay Street. There are punchboxes, two-shot GT signals and a wide variety of signs along the tracks to view. And, of course, it has some of the most unique and notable stations and terminals in the system: Stillwell, Jamaica-179 Street, Bergen, Smith-9, Herald Square, Roosevelt Island and Roosevelt Avenue. All in all, I feel that the (F) really epitomizes the NYCTA.

I know a good number of (F)s end at Kings Hwy during the PM rush, but do any of them run express there, even if not in the public schedule?

The only time I have seen that happen is when the train is late. Other then that I don't think they normaly do.

Anyone here stop by 7 Avenue lately? Lots of lights and noises coming from the workers on the express tracks just south of the station. I didn't get a close peak, but does someone know what they were doing? Part of the Culver rehab?

It's not part of the Culver rehab, but they are doing a "chip out" of the express tracks from 7th Ave to 2,000 feet in. The are taking out the tracks down to the tunnel floor and putting in new road bed. I guess now is a great time to do this. Over the weekend I'll see if I can check it out further.

It's not part of the Culver rehab, but they are doing a "chip out" of the express tracks from 7th Ave to 2,000 feet in. The are taking out the tracks down to the tunnel floor and putting in new road bed. I guess now is a great time to do this. Over the weekend I'll see if I can check it out further.

So they began chipping out at 7th Avenue now? Last time I checked, the entire express tracks and roadbed along the elevated section were gone! Wow, this is becoming a real extensive project.

My guess is that when they do finish replacing the express tracks, they may start replacing the local tracks as well, which means one platform will be closed while the other is open, and then will do a flip-flop. Then the MTA will prepare for whatever service they want to initiate next.

So they began chipping out at 7th Avenue now? Last time I checked, the entire express tracks and roadbed along the elevated section were gone! Wow, this is becoming a real extensive project.

My guess is that when they do finish replacing the express tracks, they may start replacing the local tracks as well, which means one platform will be closed while the other is open, and then will do a flip-flop. Then the MTA will prepare for whatever service they want to initiate next.

From Carroll St. to 4th Ave. is one project by its self. The express tracks from Church to 7th can't be used at all so now is a good time to work on them. They are not connected as a project. I have a PDF on the whole project so I will see if I can up load it.

From Carroll St. to 4th Ave. is one project by its self. The express tracks from Church to 7th can't be used at all so now is a good time to work on them. They are not connected as a project. I have a PDF on the whole project so I will see if I can up load it.

Sweet, can't wait to check that out.

Here you go. http://www.nyctransitforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13014

• 3 months later...
Anyone here stop by 7 Avenue lately? Lots of lights and noises coming from the workers on the express tracks just south of the station. I didn't get a close peak, but does someone know what they were doing? Part of the Culver rehab?

7 avenue is my home station and yeah , those lights are for the culver rehab more than likely.

i love the big curve between neptune ave and west 8 st and the curve going into coney island on the southbound track close to the wall with the brighton line up top and the view of the bqe from smith 9 street beautiful take a trip to coney island once a week via culver

Archived