What lines and shifts do the senior workers pick?

Rutgers Tube

I've been wondering this for a while now: what lines and shifts do the senior T/O's and C/R's generally pick, and what runs are usually left to the newbs?

Thanks!

I'm not a worker for the MTA yet. But I have a pretty good idea about this...

(1)(7) (S)huttle (Rockaway Pk, Franklin Avenue), (R) shuttle...for high seniority

thats my initial guesses so uhm any of you who do work as a T/O - C/R jump in at anytime.

There's a reason why the (A) and the (C) don't have the newest fleet yet, and seniority's the reason.

well it is the longest line in the system. But I thought the (2) which is considerably long was high seniority yet I see mostly new T/Os on it. so I'm skeptical that the (A) is high seniority...I've also seen new T/Os on the (C).

yeah, i thought T/Os like to pick short lines for the breaks. and on that previously noted side note, i thought the reason the (A) and (C) didnt get the new fleet was because the thugs in the neighborhoods they serve were not treating the new cars with respect when they ran on the (A) back in 2006 or 2007 (cant remember exactly which year it was). but thats what a friend of mine told me

the (A) and (C) get old cars because of easy access to 207th St Yd which is where the cars are stripped and reefed. Otherwise it's a lot of T/O's making that OT moving those things up there when the end comes calling.

Even though they didn't reef cars back then, look at where the R10's ran in the 80's...thats right you guessed it (C) Line

They pick based on the $$$, I know I would.

Most senior people I know pick for money and/or convenience. For example, if you live at Lefferts or New Lots, a senior person is generally not going to pick a job at Bedford Park or Van Cortlandt no matter how much it pays while a new jack may have no choice. Also I've never heard an IRT person pick a job based on the equipment a line runs. Senior people don't normally think that way.

Ok time for me to Jump in the (A) is High Senority ALL tours while the (C) is low senority especially on PM's. It use to be high because on the (C) old timers never left there job they picked it over and over again because its been the same work program for Years even as far back as 2003 but as they retire no one really picks it for whatever reason.

Most people I know pick for Location, Money, Hours and what day off they get in the district. The most wanted Tour is AM's while least favorite is PM's. This pick was special for me because I loved the R32's from school car and knowing it was going to be the last pick it play a big role with me picking the (C) Line. Next pick I don't know what I am doing I am the type that likes to jump around which doesn't go good for people behind you in senority because they never know if they are safe when they pick. Most people are predictable pick the Same location but thats not me.

the (3) overall is high senority. the (5) on the am's is high senority. all newjacks end up on the(1)(6)(7)on the pm tour. most of the time if you are low on the pole the (1)(7)pick you because you get stuck with whats left. also there is high senority people in flagging. most people in the top 100 have over 20 years.when on the road i tend to stay on the midnight tour because i can pick money jobs on the lines i want to work without 2 much worry that senior guys will pick me out because they want am's with s/s off.

Wait!!! If you work on a certain line you make extra money??? :eek:

How's that possible? lol

Certain jobs have certain amount of trips that pay certain "hours" which can vary from line to line. (any MTA employee feel free to correct me.)

Certain jobs have certain amount of trips that pay certain "hours" which can vary from line to line. (any MTA employee feel free to correct me.)

Yep, a C/R friend of mine has a job that is almost 9 hours, but since that extra hour is built in he get paid regular even though he works over 40 hours a week. In addition he has Fri/Sat of too.

The work program contains a certain number of trips and a certain amount of layover and meal time. The "money" jobs are longer and therefore have built in OT.

Some lines got more assignments with built in OT then others. Some off the reasons are long Work As Assigned periods were your on standbye or got added work or traval time if you start and finish at diffrent Locations. Example the (V) PM's C/R are mostly 8 Hours only while T/O's get an extra 9 to 30 Minutes since they lay up and finish the assignment at Jamaica YD while C/R works the Platform at Continental until clearing time. AM'S on the (V) is alittle diffrent both T/O and C/R got 9 Hour jobs because some got lots of lay over time between trips however C/R has to be available to assist the Platform Personal and T/O's on call for lay ups and Relays.

The (F) has Jobs you start at 179 St then get a train to prepare for service around Parsons. Then do 1 1/2 trips and clear at Stillwell in the 8 Hours but you still have to get traval time to 179.

In the IRT, the most senior line is the (5). When you can pick over there, you know that you've made it. The junior lines are the (6) and the (7), especially the Flushing Line when it comes time for junior people to pick relief jobs. The (1) used to be a junior line, but quickly rose in seniority when they opened the stub terminal, which results in a drop back for the crew, and added a whole bunch of money jobs. Now the (1) is in the middle of the list.

What is weird about the B Division is that it isn't the line that is senior/junior, but the location. For example, the (A) and the (C) are senior out of Brooklyn & Queens, but not so out of 168/207. Same with the (F). 179 is senior, Stillwell is junior. Opposite on the (R) where 95th Street takes beaucoup seniority while an (R) out of Continental is a dime a dozen. Line wise, I would say that the most senior line is the (M) simply because Metropolitan Ave is such an isolated location and the jobs which start out of Coney Island Yard often only make one round-trip.

In the IRT, the most senior line is the (5). When you can pick over there, you know that you've made it. The junior lines are the (6) and the (7), especially the Flushing Line when it comes time for junior people to pick relief jobs. The (1) used to be a junior line, but quickly rose in seniority when they opened the stub terminal, which results in a drop back for the crew, and added a whole bunch of money jobs. Now the (1) is in the middle of the list.

What is weird about the B Division is that it isn't the line that is senior/junior, but the location. For example, the (A) and the (C) are senior out of Brooklyn & Queens, but not so out of 168/207. Same with the (F). 179 is senior, Stillwell is junior. Opposite on the (R) where 95th Street takes beaucoup seniority while an (R) out of Continental is a dime a dozen. Line wise, I would say that the most senior line is the (M) simply because Metropolitan Ave is such an isolated location and the jobs which start out of Coney Island Yard often only make one round-trip.

I imagine once CBTC is implemented on the (7) and ATO is working, the (7) seniority levels will go up?

Archived