What lines and shifts do the senior workers pick?

Rutgers Tube

thats somethin...i guess I was half right about the (A)...well most of my battle will be getting in and passin school car. But I think I'll enjoy my time on extra board for the sheer fact I'd get tossed anywhere in the system. That makes for a different experience each time around till I get to pick. I mean that's a good attitude toward it....isn't it?

can someone define "travel time"? and explain why you have to get paid for it. thank you

You have to be the approximate time it takes to return to your original reporting location after your job has finished. More often than not, the TA lowballs the deadhead time in their favor. For example, the posted deadhead time between 179th St and Stillwell Av is 1 hour 17 minutes (they calculate it assuming that the deadheading T/O or C/R is able to immediately hop on an (F) to 47-50 Sts, then the (:P to Sheepshead Bay, then the (Q) to Coney Island without having to wait for connections.)

I imagine once CBTC is implemented on the (7) and ATO is working, the (7) seniority levels will go up?

Maybe, maybe not. The (7) is a junior line because:

1) The majority of IRT workers live in the Bronx or further north, so they would have to pay an $11 round-trip toll, or endure a long commute by train/bus in order to get to Main St (the Q44 will turn a calm man into a raging alcoholic).

2) Supervision there is tough

3) One little thing goes wrong and the line gets thrown out of whack, and so do your breaks.

The (6) is junior simply because it sucks. The delays around the Brooklyn Bridge loop just destroy your lunch and rest periods.

thats somethin...i guess I was half right about the (A)...well most of my battle will be getting in and passin school car. But I think I'll enjoy my time on extra board for the sheer fact I'd get tossed anywhere in the system. That makes for a different experience each time around till I get to pick. I mean that's a good attitude toward it....isn't it?

That's a very good attitude. I personally enjoyed my time as extra extra simply because I like trains and that I got a different type every day. Keeps the job fresh.

That's a very good attitude. I personally enjoyed my time as extra extra simply because I like trains and that I got a different type every day. Keeps the job fresh.

Something about working from the ground up feels good to me so long as I'm seeing myself progress in terms of how well I do the job. The (A) is my most desirable line so part of me was hoping it was extremely high seniority. It will mean that when I get it I've probably earned it. Now assuming I fall into Div A when I get called I'd be willing to work for those (1)/(3) line jobs. The rush is just to get in, after that I'll take my time and focus on the experience I need to gain...kinda almost feels like an RPG only more serious.

You have to be the approximate time it takes to return to your original reporting location after your job has finished. More often than not, the TA lowballs the deadhead time in their favor. For example, the posted deadhead time between 179th St and Stillwell Av is 1 hour 17 minutes (they calculate it assuming that the deadheading T/O or C/R is able to immediately hop on an (F) to 47-50 Sts, then the (:P to Sheepshead Bay, then the (Q) to Coney Island without having to wait for connections.)

so you get paid just for riding back? you dont have to operate a train at all on the way back?

Yeah I think I'll enjoy the extra extra time as well. I'd like to operate different equipment, also it'd be nice to not be on a regular schedule. Keeps you on your toes :P

My question is how T/O's get Div C qualified :) would love to learn that stuff early in my career, but preferably after probation :P

Yeah I think I'll enjoy the extra extra time as well. I'd like to operate different equipment, also it'd be nice to not be on a regular schedule. Keeps you on your toes :P

My question is how T/O's get Div C qualified :) would love to learn that stuff early in my career, but preferably after probation :P

There's a Div C? :confused: how did i not know this?

My question is how T/O's get Div C qualified :P would love to learn that stuff early in my career, but preferably after probation :P

Division C is essentially Work Trains for T/O's and Construction Flagging for C/R's. C Div is actually a subdivision within a division. That is to say that an A Division T/O who picks to do Work Trains for a pick can also work overtime on, or be reassigned to, A Division routes.

To be qualified on the diesels, first you'll have to pick a job working them. I've been a T/O for many years and I have never been qualified for work trains, because I have no desire to suck up fumes for 6+ months; but, everyone is different. Some people leave the road to pick WT's and never come back.

Division C is essentially Work Trains for T/O's and Construction Flagging for C/R's. C Div is actually a subdivision within a division. That is to say that an A Division T/O who picks to do Work Trains for a pick can also work overtime on, or be reassigned to, A Division routes.

To be qualified on the diesels, first you'll have to pick a job working them. I've been a T/O for many years and I have never been qualified for work trains, because I have no desire to suck up fumes for 6+ months; but, everyone is different. Some people leave the road to pick WT's and never come back.

Z, would that also qualify for yard moves as well? For instance, when cars are reassigned to different yards?

In the IRT, the most senior line is the (5). When you can pick over there, you know that you've made it. The junior lines are the (6) and the (7), especially the Flushing Line when it comes time for junior people to pick relief jobs. The (1) used to be a junior line, but quickly rose in seniority when they opened the stub terminal, which results in a drop back for the crew, and added a whole bunch of money jobs. Now the (1) is in the middle of the list.

What is weird about the B Division is that it isn't the line that is senior/junior, but the location. For example, the (A) and the (C) are senior out of Brooklyn & Queens, but not so out of 168/207. Same with the (F). 179 is senior, Stillwell is junior. Opposite on the (R) where 95th Street takes beaucoup seniority while an (R) out of Continental is a dime a dozen. Line wise, I would say that the most senior line is the (M) simply because Metropolitan Ave is such an isolated location and the jobs which start out of Coney Island Yard often only make one round-trip.

the (3) is the most senior line, there are many t/o and c/r there that have over 30 years. there are even a hand full of tier 1 guys still working there. they will probably die there. after the (3) then its the (5), but only certain jobs because i can pick 3 days out of dyre on the pm's. and i am no where near senior.

so you get paid just for riding back? you don't have to operate a train at all on the way back?

First off, I have to clarify something out front here. We are discussing 'Getting paid traveling time ON THE JOB, within a work day', not commuting time to & from home, to the workplace. Similar to a cop riding in a patrol unit all day, or a delivery driver, TA workers commuting to various locations during a day is part of a regular day's work schedule, nothing special.

It's not getting over, 'free pay' or anything 'extra' like the deal (MTA) Board members get.

On some job schedules, crews are responsible for 1 round trip, or a round trip, and a half, due to the nature of the service/scheduling. The Ta sometimes pays time to get ALMOST back in the time the job pays you for. Ta usually pays less than the actual travel time because they don't want to pay OT for traveling.. Other jobs, sometimes you finish your paid time at the other terminal from where you started & travel on your own time. Most jobs tho, are set up to start & finish, at the same location.

I did. Never liked the redbirds, so whenever possible, I worked the (1) and (3).

I see your point and stand corrected. When I started out there were no redbirds and R62 or R62A cars. The IRT ran mixed consists of all types of equipment and the (3) was the most notorious of all yet Lenox Terminal was a very senior place. When the first R62A came to Lenox , cars 1911-19 IIRC, the senior guys looked on it as a toy. The T/D used to save it for me to operate because the other m/m didn't want it and I was the rookie. The (1) and (4) also ran a lot of junk back then. Nowadays I think the (3), (4), and (5) are considered the senior lines in the IRT in general along with Utica Ave station switching and East 180th Street yard.

the (3) is the most senior line, there are many t/o and c/r there that have over 30 years. there are even a hand full of tier 1 guys still working there. they will probably die there. after the (3) then its the (5), but only certain jobs because i can pick 3 days out of dyre on the pm's. and i am no where near senior.

Take a look at the pick board and you'd be surprised how many senior guys picked off the (3). On the AM's the (5) is by far the most senior line.

As far as the PM's go, it is the other way around. There are only two PM jobs on the (5) that pay over 9 hours.

Take a look at the pick board and you'd be surprised how many senior guys picked off the (3). On the AM's the (5) is by far the most senior line.

As far as the PM's go, it is the other way around. There are only two PM jobs on the (5) that pay over 9 hours.

Exactly I could have picked 5 days on the (3) out of Lenox with Regular jobs not RDO REL. Ofcause the PM Tour AM is still SR.

so anyone who just wants to work 8 hours a day once they get off the extra list is in pretty good shape then right?

Excellent shape. I just got off road extra this pick and got PM RDO relief in the south. 4 days on the (N) and 1 on the (Q) , all out of Stillwell. My longest job is 8 hours 3 minutes. I couldn't be happier for a first pick.

For a T/O and C/R, how many round trips on lines such as the (S) Forty-Second Street Shuttle, (S) Franklin Avenue Shuttle, (S) Rockaway Park Shuttle, (S) Lefferts Boulevard Shuttle, (M) Weekends from Myrtle Avenue to Metropolitan Avenue and (W) from Ditmars Boulevard to Astoria make up a regular shift and do crews assigned to the (Z) begin/end their shift on the (J)?

For a T/O and C/R, how many round trips on lines such as the (S) Forty-Second Street Shuttle, (S) Franklin Avenue Shuttle, (S) Rockaway Park Shuttle, (S) Lefferts Boulevard Shuttle, (M) Weekends from Myrtle Avenue to Metropolitan Avenue and (W) from Ditmars Boulevard to Astoria make up a regular shift and do crews assigned to the (Z) begin/end their shift on the (J)?

On average:

39, 16, 8, 5 plus one (A), 10, 3 hut hut hike! And all crews are assigned to the (J) with scheduled (Z) trips.

Well my pops is a T/O in the A division. Been in the (MTA) for about a little over 20yrs now. He picks juggles between the (1) and the (3). Sometimes he cant get the job he wants on the (3) because someone with more seniority picks it first so he'll take a job on the (1).

He picks based on money and convience. Both the (1) and the (3) are close to our house. Also time of shift is a factor as well. Now he likes being able to get home early so he has morning shift..I think his train leaves around 6am

Wow I guess I got to get used to alot of changes once I get called for C/R or T/O from Station dept. Most S/A's with seniority pick stations with light traffic. Since your on a train I would believe old timers would pick long train line cause they don't have to do a lot of trips per day and get alot of O/T. I read on here somewhere who said C/R's and T/O's who work jobs with built in OT get paid straight time all the way thru really? if so that's crap. In stations department if you pick a job with built in OT mainly L/R jobs you get paid OT. It's sectioned on your check as scheduled overtime. Can any C/R or T/O clarify this for me? Also do you guys get paid for gain sharing ( No Lunch for non T/A employees) and do they pay you for early report of 15 mins?<5>(5)(2)(6)

Can any C/R or T/O clarify this for me? Also do you guys get paid for gain sharing ( No Lunch for non T/A employees) and do they pay you for early report of 15 mins?<5>(5)(2)(6)

If the job has built-in overtime, you'll get paid straight for 8 hours then time and a half for everything over that, just like in Stations.

No Lunches are paid if you have less than 20 minutes during your scheduled lunch break.

Of course Early Reports are paid - no one works for free.

Archived