Tenants Evicted by M.T.A. Ask: Move Where?

Harry

Finding an apartment in Manhattan can be tough. Just ask the Metropolitan Transportation Authority.

Next year, dozens of New Yorkers in some of the city’s wealthiest ZIP codes are set to be evicted to make way for the long-delayed Second Avenue subway, and federal law requires the transit agency to find them comparable new homes. So far, it has not been going so well.

Dave Zigerelli was told to consider low-income housing across from an on-ramp to the Queensboro Bridge. The first apartment shown to Nicolle Poian was half the size of her own. Ann and Conrad Riedi, ensconced in the same rent-stabilized apartment for 40 years, said they were encouraged to move out of Manhattan — and their dog, Biscuit, might not be allowed to come along.

“They told us to think outside the box,” said Ms. Riedi, 64.

Read more: http://www.nytimes.com/2009/09/08/nyregion/08mta.html?_r=1

post-1-133288580767_thumb.jpg

post-1-133288580767_thumb.jpg

"You mean I have to move out of my luxury 6200/mo 2 room apartment to live in something thats 2000 now? This is just horrible!" :P

Whille I sympathize with the older couple that has been there forever, I do NOT sympathize with the goddam yuppies that have ruined this neighborhood. If you're 23 (my age) you shouldn't complain about having to move like that one guy did.

The issue is a lot of people who are older have rent stabilization (my parents do, and I pay them my share of the rent). Rent stabilization does not exist anymore except where it is grandfathered in. So they are paying in some cases 50% of what the actual rent would be. There ARE no comparable apartments for that.

However SAS needs to get built and someone on the payroll needs to come up with a solution...it beats me but since Im not on the payroll its not my job to find a solution

Whille I sympathize with the older couple that has been there forever, I do NOT sympathize with the goddam yuppies that have ruined this neighborhood. If you're 23 (my age) you shouldn't complain about having to move like that one guy did.

The issue is a lot of people who are older have rent stabilization (my parents do, and I pay them my share of the rent). Rent stabilization does not exist anymore except where it is grandfathered in. So they are paying in some cases 50% of what the actual rent would be. There ARE no comparable apartments for that.

However SAS needs to get built and someone on the payroll needs to come up with a solution...it beats me but since Im not on the payroll its not my job to find a solution

You're right. The only reason my 2-bedroom apartment is $1,000/mo is because my mom has lived at that same apartment for 10 years, so it can only go up so much. An apartment that is located next door to us is up for about $1,800, and is owned by the same people.

Archived