New York Senate Confirms New Head of MTA

CPBO

The new MTA chairman - approved by the state Senate in Albany Thursday - vowed to shake up the authority.

"It's my intention to form a management team, bring new people into the MTA with a broad range of experience and success in different parts of the world," Jay Walder told a Senate committee Thursday.

"It's a fair expectation to say the MTA will be moving forward with a new team."

The London-based management consultant, who previously held top executive posts with the Metropolitan Transportation Authority and Transport for London, said he will start in early October after settling his affairs in England.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/news/2009/09/11/2009-09-11_walder_planning_mta_shakeup.html#ixzz0Qnf9G4Kj

post-530-133288580771_thumb.jpg

post-530-133288580771_thumb.jpg

Well at least Helena Williams is no longer in charge...

I dunno, Helena's probably better. All I know is that this new cat caused a lot of strife between management and the RMT union of the London Underground. I wouldn't be shocked to see that happen here.

I dunno, Helena's probably better. All I know is that this new cat caused a lot of strife between management and the RMT union of the London Underground. I wouldn't be shocked to see that happen here.

True...he is a "finance" guy and I'm sure everyone on this forum knows I trust them about as far as I can throw a fully loaded arnine, which is, to say, not very far.

Yes I think we are in for a even more bumpy ride!!.....I hear this guy does not like for anybody to have a break!! If your run does 8 trips and pays 9hrs and has an inservice time for 7 hrs......I hear this guy will push for more inservice time.....like 8hrs and 40 min......I did a run yesterday....on the Q66 for overtime.......wwooooowww I was driving for 10 hrs......I am lucky I had a 20 min lunch......poor guy that does that all the time......:P....but that is the type of run this new boss will want!!

Yes I think we are in for a even more bumpy ride!!.....I hear this guy does not like for anybody to have a break!! If your run does 8 trips and pays 9hrs and has an inservice time for 7 hrs......I hear this guy will push for more inservice time.....like 8hrs and 40 min......I did a run yesterday....on the Q66 for overtime.......wwooooowww I was driving for 10 hrs......I am lucky I had a 20 min lunch......poor guy that does that all the time......:P....but that is the type of run this new boss will want!!

In that case, then the ride is going to be 10X bumpier than when Kalikow was prez.

Is that what caused the strike(s) there?

- A

Bringing in people from other transit systems (especially outside the us) to oversee the day to day is what (MTA) needs desperately, so it sounds like this might be a good thing.

It would be neat to have a (NJT) person join (MTA) also, because (NJT) rail beats the pants off of LIRR. :cool:

Seriously though, in this day and age LIRR is one of the best funded rail systems, yet it continues to have derailments, "bumps", collisions, run-away work equipment, and consistently is late.

I will be seriously impressed if LIRR could be brought up to (NJT) standards for safety and on-time reliability.

Oh, one more suggestion to the new boss.... Return fares to $2.00. Thanks!

- A

I don't know much about him but he seems stern which is good. Elliot Sanders was ideal but a problem I had with him was his approach to workers. I know there are a lot of hard working guys and gals at the MTA but penal codes need to be strictly enforced and the Union needs to learn to shut it sometimes. The problem with the MTA is that the MTA outlines the work rules and such but the Union controls the power whether those are applied. The MTA will never be a good company as long as there are more than one union representing workers (there are a few) and the MTA doesn't get to change some work rules. All I have to say is if you're a transit worker, I don't have anything against most of you but you sure as hell are lucky I'm not boss!!

I don't know much about him but he seems stern which is good. Elliot Sanders was ideal but a problem I had with him was his approach to workers. I know there are a lot of hard working guys and gals at the MTA but penal codes need to be strictly enforced and the Union needs to learn to shut it sometimes. The problem with the MTA is that the MTA outlines the work rules and such but the Union controls the power whether those are applied. The MTA will never be a good company as long as there are more than one union representing workers (there are a few) and the MTA doesn't get to change some work rules. All I have to say is if you're a transit worker, I don't have anything against most of you but you sure as hell are lucky I'm not boss!!

What penal codes need to be enforced? The MTA runs every day without a major incident. I would say wokers are doing a pretty good job. The point of the union to avoid nonsense being pushed down our throats. If you were our boss what would you change. Just curious

The last time we had a stern boss who tried to shove work rules down our throats, we went on strike for three days and had countless slowdowns. Every day was a different fight.

We will NEVER bow down to someone who tries to run the agency like the Soviet Union. And if you were boss, you'd better believe that with an attitude such as yours, we'd give you one hell of a hard time. Everything must be negotiated, not ordered.

Wow I wouldn't wanna work for you in transit, IT or anything. Rule enforcements don't solve half as much as flexibility with and for the workers from management does. Every work field has its slackers and bad apples. You just learn to find them fire their asses and move on. If you want to have that attitude I'm sure there's spots in the military for it.

If I was in charge I would focus on training workers to know how to do their jobs IN AND OUT, and enforcing a policy of "f*** up cuz you made a mistake, no big deal fill out the G2 and come back to work tomorrow in title...but f*** up because you ARE a f*** up and off you go." Meaning leniency with good workers, no tolerance for bad ones. Civil service lists are long, might as well try out as many as you can and keep the really good ones but let go of the dead weight immediately. I'm sure any TA employee out there can think of 5 guys they know of who are working and just shake their head at that fact. Get rid of the bad apples in the service and supervisor positions (that means hearing anonymously through required surveys from train crews which TSS's they like and do not like and WHY). Then I'd give the union its riightfully and legally earned raises. I'd also move to have the first 2 weeks of training paid at minimum wage and make schoolcar more strict for both C/R's and T/O's. That way the bad apples get paid less before they quit or get the boot. The good employees I would work with, count their track record into incidents before trying to charge them with mistakes, and add programs to train them. I'd also add a separate pay level for workers who completed 15 years or more in title, they should get a percentage more for what they do.

I would NOT get rid of the station agent title like they are doing but rather would combine it with cleaner and go back to calling it "station clerk." The new job would be a straight 8 hour shift...That person would be allowed to bring food with them into the station booth. There would be 3 shifts a day and two clerks assigned to a station with an active booth. The "Extra" station clerks would be staffed throughout the system to swap in and out with clerks at each station every 2 hours for 30 mins each to give them a break, and observe the platform/clean when they are not doing so. Therefore getting the booth would be the "seniority position", the extras would be on their feet except when relieving the clerk in the booth, and they'd get their 30 min breaks every 2 hours also.

As for front office, I'd cut unnecssary "white collar" jobs and streamline the supervision, either there are line GM's or there aren't but no multiple layers of supervision just TSS's answering to one or the other.

I'd also increase capital funding towards SAS and eliminate free crosstown bus transfers in Manhattan for anyone who is not using the unlimited ride pass, which would go up $3 more for a monthly. Then I'd try and salvage the (7) line extension by adding in the station at 10th/41st St.

But that's just me...and I'm not in charge...maybe it's a good thing maybe bad...I dunnoo....

Sorry guys, once in a while I'll throw a tantrum. If you don't have anything good to say don't say anything, should have remembered that then!! There was a bus operator who left 6 mins early the other day and I missed him. I asked the dispatcher what happened and he was like there is another bus in 15 minutes. I asked again if there was a problem with the route or the driver and he said no. He was letting him leave 6 mins for no reason. Thus I got heated and through my fit on here. I don't know what I would do different at the MTA.

Sorry guys, once in a while I'll throw a tantrum. If you don't have anything good to say don't say anything, should have remembered that then!! There was a bus operator who left 6 mins early the other day and I missed him. I asked the dispatcher what happened and he was like there is another bus in 15 minutes. I asked again if there was a problem with the route or the driver and he said no. He was letting him leave 6 mins for no reason. Thus I got heated and through my fit on here. I don't know what I would do different at the MTA.

the only time I am dipatched early if a bus broke down.......some dispathers feel they don't owe anybody and excuse for anything.....it is like you are second guessing them.....but what do I know I am just a Bus Operator.....:P

The new MTA chairman - approved by the state Senate in Albany Thursday - vowed to shake up the authority.

"It's my intention to form a management team, bring new people into the MTA with a broad range of experience and success in different parts of the world," Jay Walder told a Senate committee Thursday.

"It's a fair expectation to say the MTA will be moving forward with a new team."

The London-based management consultant, who previously held top executive posts with the Metropolitan Transportation Authority and Transport for London, said he will start in early October after settling his affairs in England.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/news/2009/09/11/2009-09-11_walder_planning_mta_shakeup.html#ixzz0Qnf9G4Kj

Wow. At least I will say this about him. He will let you know up front he intends to bring in people with no MTA NYCTA experience to make this agency run (the main reason why this agency don't run properly). So our broken sysytem will stay broke, but at least we will know why. We will have people running it, who wouldn't know what a 3rd rail is, even if they sat on one.........

the only time I am dipatched early if a bus broke down.......some dispathers feel they don't owe anybody and excuse for anything.....it is like you are second guessing them.....but what do I know I am just a Bus Operator.....:)

Yeah, bussie........

Archived