Attention: In order to reply to messages, create topics, have access to other features of the community you must sign up for an account.
Sign in to follow this  
EE Broadway Local

Wednesday September 12, 2001

Looking back from eight years later, do you remember how changed the subway and PATH became of the closure of Chambers Street-W.T.C. station (E), Corlandt Street station (R)(W), the (1)(9) line between Chambers Street and (old) South Ferry stations and PATH's W.T.C. Terminal and Exchange Place station?

In Memory Tuesday September 11, 2001 :P :cry:

Some other changes I remember

(M) ran to Coney Island via Sea Beach

(J) ran to 95th Street (replacing (R) service on Brooklyn end)

(Q) ran to Continental Ave (replacing (R) service on Queens end)

(E) ran to Eucild Ave

Well some already said ^^

But for cars, I remember the Redbirds were still in service[Will miss em], R62As on the (5)(6). (7) line were grabbing R62As while still running on R33WF/R36WF. These were the car assignments from that time: http://www.thejoekorner.com/carassignments/irt-12-2001.html

I think the (N)(R) service was suspended and replaced by the (J)(M)(Q)(W) in different parts

Yup:

Queens:

W replaced the N, Q replaced the R

Brooklyn:

M replaced the N, J replaced the R

<Q> ran R68/A's, the Q ran R32's, E ran R46's. It was a very interesting temporary fleet swap

The (3) did run: Between 148 St and 14 St.

I consider that not a (3), but an (S)

The (2) used R62As from the (3)! DOn't know if they were shared with the (5) though.

The (2) used R62As from the (3)! DOn't know if they were shared with the (5) though.

It did? I don't remember seeing any R62A's on the 2. Then again I didn't use the west side lines as often as I did the East Side back then.

It did? I don't remember seeing any R62A's on the 2. Then again I didn't use the west side lines as often as I did the East Side back then.

It did, trust me. SInce the (3) went to Manhattan only and the (2) was local and the (1) went to Brooklyn, the (3) gave some of its unused R62As to the (2) and the (1).

I dont remember that as I was a West side rider sometimes. I do remember that the R142 strip maps of the (2) included all local stops on the Broadway

It did, trust me. SInce the (3) went to Manhattan only and the (2) was local and the (1) went to Brooklyn, the (3) gave some of its unused R62As to the (2) and the (1).

the (2)(5) always used 1-2 sets of R62As before the R142s arrived, so technically, the only line that was fully Redbirds was the (7). The R62As the (3) gave up (1)(2) to were from Linovia in Brooklyn, so the (5) was not affected by the attacks at all.

That was one heck of a load of service changes.

The (1) replaced the (3) in Brooklyn.

The (2) ran local.

The (3) ran from 148th to 14th.

The (M) ran to Coney Island.

The (J) ran to 95th St. - Bay Ridge.

The (Q) ran to 71st Ave. - Forest Hills

The (R) and (N) were suspended and (W) came into sight replacing the (N).

The Path were terminating at Exchange Place.

Exchange Place was closed after the attacks and did not reopen until 2003.

The car assignments were changed too. The (Q) was a mix of R46s and R68s until Brighton residents complained for the same reason their ancestors of the 1970s did, forcing (NYCT) to swap cars on the (E) and (Q). The (E) took all of the R46s while the (Q) was almost entirely R32s with 1-2 sets of R68s. The <Q> became a mix of R68/68As and R40s, the latter of which were moved to the (M). The (M)'s R42s were sent to the (J) since it became the longest line in the system replacing the (R) in Brooklyn.

I dont remember that as I was a West side rider sometimes. I do remember that the R142 strip maps of the (2) included all local stops on the Broadway

The (2) started running local in Manhattan late at night in 1999, before the R142s came into service.

What sucked was that the (J) and the (M) still ran eight cars, which meant that the Southern BMT had to deal with eight-car trains.

Which often caused a delay at 9th St. as the people had to come from the transfer at the 10 car marker to the 8. Especially if they had big heavy stuff. Once I was tempted to just go up to the 10, but I was brand new and didn't know my partner and figured not to take the chance.