Does anyone know the bus type or model that operate on the B1 & B4 routes?

Pu3rToRoCk8947

At about 9:15 am this morning i was walking to the 86 Street (N) Station and i caught a B1 or B4 bus,i also noticed it was an RTS and the familiar Detroit engine noise,as it pulled away i noticed the back of the bus was painted all white.I'm not too familiar with buses and i frequently ride the B1 and B4 and i see mostly Orions and other RTS type buses and none have the Detriot engine sounds,at least none that i have seen.I was going to catch a picture with my G1 but it pulled away too fast.Is this RTS model older and how many are exactly left?

Oh okay,Do some of the older RTS types have the Detroit engines?

I also noticed on the builders plates in some of the RTS buses that some read GMC RTS and TMC RTS,which is older?

forgive me for asking these questions i just find these buses very interesting

GMC RTSs are older than TMCs. GMC made the RTS from the late 70s up to 1987 when GM sold the RTS design to TMC when they made RTS up to 1995 when Novabus made them. For some weird reason the Nova RTS say TMC on their builder plate when they were made by Novabus. All the RTS at Ulmer Park right now were made by Novabus even though they say TMC on their builder plates. And yes the older GMC RTSs used Detorit engines 6V92 and 6v71 engines, TMCs use, 6v92, DD50 and Cummins engines... and the Novas use DD50 engines, but some have Cummins though.

Wow,thanks for all the info,you guys are great.At least now i have some idea on which RTS buses are older.I believe in another bus thread somewhere that certain RTS are refered to as Whitebacks.Did the bus depots paint them like that or is that how they were delivered?

All NYCT & PBL RTS came from the factory with blackbacks. White paint is cheaper than Black paint so the MTA is whitebacking buses because its cheaper than black paint.

People are always chronicling the back color, while I never paid much attention to it beyond noticing when the whitebacks first appeared.

But the other day I saw something interested that nobody else seems to have caught yet.

RTS 9439 with white louver grille; black panel belowh it (which the rear route sign goes on). Now how about that for a change?

GMC RTSs are older than TMCs. GMC made the RTS from the late 70s up to 1987 when GM sold the RTS design to TMC when they made RTS up to 1995 when Novabus made them. For some weird reason the Nova RTS say TMC on their builder plate when they were made by Novabus. All the RTS at Ulmer Park right now were made by Novabus even though they say TMC on their builder plates. And yes the older GMC RTSs used Detorit engines 6V92 and 6v71 engines, TMCs use, 6v92, DD50 and Cummins engines... and the Novas use DD50 engines, but some have Cummins though.

Every active RTS in the city fleet (NYC Bus & (MTA) Bus uses DD Series 50 engines EXCEPT for 9 of them...those 9 buses come from Fresh Pond and use Cummins M11E engines. Those numbers are 9140 and 9142-9149...

...now on to those at Ulmer Park. Even though some of those RTS engines over there sound louder, its still the same standard engine (DD series 50). Its the transmission on those (ZF HP592C) that makes it sound like that and those numbers are 5075-5124.

Archived