R32 (B) Train (?) spotted at 145 St

Concourse Express

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We know nothing ... there are so many reasons as to why that train was taken out of service, and I'm quite positive w/e it was you saw down there was not out of the norm and if it was there was a good reason for it. There probably wasn't much of a gap, as another (B) may have departed just before your train entered the pocket. No need to pick on (B) "Management" for dealing with the new service pattern in the best way possible.

Mark, there is only one set. There is no second set, just extra cars but not enough to make a full set. But the set should run on the (Q) and not the (B). You can still find it, but it'll be on one line, not two.

are you saying that the (B) management cant make up there mind on whether they want R68 or R32s?

I rly wanna know why should it be on the (Q) before i pick the (Q):confused:

are you saying that the (B) management cant make up there mind on whether they want R68 or R32s?

I rly wanna know why should it be on the (Q) before i pick the (Q):confused:

Seems (B) management is using the R32 strictly as a put-in, and not even a full run. The (B) needed 1 or 2 more trains for running local, the (Q) is covered. No need for the (Q) to run the R32. But, you never know.

We know nothing ... there are so many reasons as to why that train was taken out of service, and I'm quite positive w/e it was you saw down there was not out of the norm and if it was there was a good reason for it. There probably wasn't much of a gap, as another (B) may have departed just before your train entered the pocket. No need to pick on (B) "Management" for dealing with the new service pattern in the best way possible.

This is not 1st time this happed, Back in 2007 they did the same thing, And also in 2004, Yeah its a put-in, I don't care if they take it out but why take 2 trains out of service in the middle of rush Hour.

The (Q) on R32s?? No way! That sucks! Now who knows where teh R32 will be at! Let the (Q) stay with the damn 68/160 and let the (B) stay with it...

BTW is it only 1 set running or 2?

It's not like the (Q) has the R32, he was only saying it could happen. And why not? The only reason that R32 was sent over was for extra (B) service. There's no reason for them to run on the (Q) but if they did I really don't see why it would be a problem...the (B)(Q) run the exact same routes in Brooklyn now so it doesn't even make a big difference trying to find it.

I don't blame the dispatchers for using that R32 only during rush hour. I mean its a 45 year old train that probaly has to last for 2 years when this G.O ends. The R68s are more relible, 20 years younger and less of a PITA than the R32s at this point. I rather have it run on the (Q) because that line spends less time underground than the (B) line, as we all know, those R32s have A/C problems..

I don't think the R32's don't have A/C problems, just the ones out of Jamaica last summer did because they weren't taking care of them properly.

Jamaica doesn't take care of ANY of their cars properly, not to mention that their R160s are dirty as hell. Getting back to A/C, an R160 I rode during the summer had a broken A/C unit.

The R32s have great A/C. During the summer, I rode an R32 with exceptional A/C, so much that I was cold!

It's not like the (Q) has the R32, he was only saying it could happen. And why not? The only reason that R32 was sent over was for extra (B) service. There's no reason for them to run on the (Q) but if they did I really don't see why it would be a problem...the (B)(Q) run the exact same routes in Brooklyn now so it doesn't even make a big difference trying to find it.

That R32 trainset is for Both the (B)/(Q), The (B)/(Q) shares R68/A's, And they can also share that R32 trainset, The (Q) is the line that the R32's debuted on so Riding them on the (Q) would be history repeating itself, The Only cars that the (B)/(Q) don't share is the R160's, I rather the R160's On the (B) than the (Q), The (B) gets way more ridership than the (Q) and the R68's can't handle the crowdings on the (B), That's why I would rather the (Q) stay with all the R68's and the (B) gets all the R160's, This would make sense.

Jamaica doesn't take care of ANY of their cars properly, not to mention that their R160s are dirty as hell. Getting back to A/C, an R160 I rode during the summer had a broken A/C unit.

The R32s have great A/C. During the summer, I rode an R32 with exceptional A/C, so much that I was cold!

Yes, when its working, the R32s have great A/C! Just that the A/C units on those cars seem to break down often during the summer even on the (C).

Yes, when its working, the R32s have great A/C! Just that the A/C units on those cars seem to break down often during the summer even on the (C).

Dude, If you are on an R32 at CI, You will get good A/C, Don't count on the R68's all the Time, CI does a great job when it comes to its fleet, And The (C) train, You only find like 6 cars in total with an A/C problem, and they fix it. And why are you talking about A/C, Its fall time now.

That R32 trainset is for Both the (B)/(Q), The (B)/(Q) shares R68/A's, And they can also share that R32 trainset, The (Q) is the line that the R32's debuted on so Riding them on the (Q) would be history repeating itself, The Only cars that the (B)/(Q) don't share is the R160's, I rather the R160's On the (B) than the (Q), The (B) gets way more ridership than the (Q) and the R68's can't handle the crowdings on the (B), That's why I would rather the (Q) stay with all the R68's and the (B) gets all the R160's, This would make sense.

I agree, especially since R160s load passengers better than R68s, or any 75-foot car in this matter. The (B) should receive the 160s from the (Q). Eventually the (B)'s general manager (if there is one) will realize this.

Oh please. I rode aboard 2 R160 (F) trains on Saturday with my girlfriend. She commented on how clean and comfortable the train was inside. The FINDS worked fine, the train was quiet and smooth and CLEAN. It had a lower number, like 93XX, so it didn't come straight out of the factory either. I ride the (E) and (F) frequently and they go from not so clean to clean. And I've seen trains on other lines, including the CI (Q)'s R160 that are just as not so clean as Jamaica's.

On Saturday we also rode an R32 (C) that my girlfriend thought looked good for a train that has been in service for 45 years. However, the air-conditioning in the particular car that I was in was barely effective. Some R32s have good a/c, but as a/c goes, it is not unfair to say that the R32 has more problems with its a/c per fleet than the rest of the fleet. In its defence, this is fairly recent, even in the early 2000s the R32s a/c worked as well as other vintage cars in the system.

And maybe go look at that post I wrote about a PA5 on the Path system with inoperable a/c. You rode on one R160 that had inoperable a/c. So?

How are the assignments handled? I was under the impression that the Q is more connected to N/W with Broadway where it uses either R160s or R68s. Don't know why the R160 runs on any particular line except the E but the Q was rumored to be all R160s at one time (hanging on to some R68s probably due to the passenger survey where Q passengers stated they preferred the R68s). Do you have numbers on the B vs. Q ridership? Are you sure the R32 is for both the Q and the B? Isn't the Q covered as it is the Brighton local and already has its alloted cars and it is the B that needed the extra trainset.

It's not all about Jamaica. There are reports of "hot cars" on the (C) this summer. There's a mention on this thread: http://www.subchat.com/readflat.asp?Id=825097

WOW a pair of R32's from the (C) that had no A/C, Why in the Hell we are talking about A/C, Its the Damn Fall, Summer is over, After next year Everything will be gone, Get over it, This is a topic about the R32's on the (B) not A/C issues with the R32's, So Please lets get back to the topic and stop complaing about A/C in the Fall time, In the next 3 months winter will come.

How are the assignments handled? I was under the impression that the Q is more connected to N/W with Broadway where it uses either R160s or R68s. Don't know why the R160 runs on any particular line except the E but the Q was rumored to be all R160s at one time (hanging on to some R68s probably due to the passenger survey where Q passengers stated they preferred the R68s). Do you have numbers on the B vs. Q ridership? Are you sure the R32 is for both the Q and the B? Isn't the Q covered as it is the Brighton local and already has its alloted cars and it is the B that needed the extra trainset.

During Rush Hours The (B) gets more ridership, It comes from the Bronx, thru manhattan the down along the brighton local, That shows you that the (B) picks up more, But its sometime the other way around, But the (B) should get the R160's and the (Q) should keep all the R68's, The MTA wants to make the Broadway line 100% R160 but that plan backfired due to the fact that (Q) riders like their beloved R68's more than the R160's, and That's a fact because Brighton riders rode the R68 for over 22 years and its nothing wrong with them, As for the (B), Putting R160's on the (B) would have been a smart choice, The (B) does not run on the west end no more, R68's do not really do good on the (B) when it come to crowds, Rerember 47-50th sts and 34th st are the 2 busiest stations along 6th ave.

• 2 weeks later...
Why would i want them on the Brodaway-Brighton BMT?

exactly. R32's on the (Q) is a NO NO! Not even on the (:). like i said, if they wanna place them somewhere else, let them run on the (D). that'll be a small change cuz the (D) is nothing but R68's. so it can be used as a back up.

exactly. R32's on the (Q) is a NO NO! Not even on the (:). like i said, if they wanna place them somewhere else, let them run on the (D). that'll be a small change cuz the (D) is nothing but R68's. so it can be used as a back up.

What's so wrong about the R32 on the Q? The Q post 9/11 was made up of mostly if not only R32's. I can understand if the R32's are in bad shape, but it's not going to kill the Q line to run just one R32 on it.

What's so wrong about the R32 on the Q? The Q post 9/11 was made up of mostly if not only R32's. I can understand if the R32's are in bad shape, but it's not going to kill the Q line to run just one R32 on it.

they not bad cars, they not horrible either, i just hate riding in them on the Brighton line. do i really HATE them?....no, not as much as i hate the R40 Slants. i just love seeing R68/R68A's, mostly R68A's on the Brighton Line.

they not bad cars, they not horrible either, i just hate riding in them on the Brighton line. do i really HATE them?....no, not as much as i hate the R40 Slants. i just love seeing R68/R68A's, mostly R68A's on the Brighton Line.

Yeah, but the line is all boring now. At least when the B had the slants, there was a chance to see out the rfw.

A normal rider, I think, likes things as is now since the R68/A's are fairly reliable, but for some of us railfans it is boring seeing only R68/A's and R160's.

Yeah, but the line is all boring now. At least when the B had the slants, there was a chance to see out the rfw.

A normal rider, I think, likes things as is now since the R68/A's are fairly reliable, but for some of us railfans it is boring seeing only R68/A's and R160's.

eh...i guess ur right, but i still dont like them on the brighton line.

The reason why R68s are on the Q and R32s are on the B has NOTHING to do with which trunk the Q runs on nor anything to do with a survey of riders as to what equipment they prefer. (BTW-such a survey never actually took place)

The R32s run on the B because the B is a part time line. The R160s run on the N and Q because those are the full time lines out of Coney Island. The R160s run on the W because the W and N exchange cars at Astoria.

WOW a pair of R32's from the (C) that had no A/C, Why in the Hell we are talking about A/C, Its the Damn Fall, Summer is over, After next year Everything will be gone, Get over it, This is a topic about the R32's on the (:) not A/C issues with the R32's, So Please lets get back to the topic and stop complaing about A/C in the Fall time, In the next 3 months winter will come.

There is no need to talk like that. You could just say "can we please get back on topic".

Art Vandelay: That makes the most sense :)

Archived