Question about MTA buses

Tinamarie

I was always curious about this.

I notice sometimes when I get on the bus, the bus driver allows us to not use our metrocards and we get in for free. Why does this happen?

Some of the times the farebox is broken so it won't accept Metro-Cards and change....this is why the B/O let ppl on the bus for free!

There have been times when I boarded the Q64 at Queens Blvd. when due to traffic and 'bunching', there were three or four busloads lined up waiting. They just rushed everyone aboard without swiping in order to try to make up some time, and clear the line which wrapped way back around the corner.

And sometimes when bus runs out of bus transfers, bus operators make free ride. It happened to me about many time, including on Triboro Days of Q53, ex-Green Bus Line with Green Bus scheme.

Some bus operators are nice to tourists who let tourists who have dollar bills for free because bus is either behind schedule.

It happened to me on M1, M2, M3, M4, M5, M79, M86, M57, M31, X25, M57, M60, Q35, Q53.

I also remember when MTA was still using Command Bus, I boarded B103 by mistake and BM2 let me on because I took wrong bus and I paid fare on BM2 with no money leftover in card.

I also remember when MetroCard implement on Bee-Line Bus, I remember on Saturday, April 7th, I was on BxM4C Manhattan and there was seven lady trying to get on with dollar bill $7.00, $3.50 off-peak, not knowing it is like (MTA) fare of $5/$2.50 off-peak. He let them on with MTA Price putting in his enveplope. They did not see on NY TImes or news.

I guess they don't remember the paper much.

Some of the times the farebox is broken so it won't accept Metro-Cards and change....this is why the B/O let ppl on the bus for free!

Some of the time the farebox won't accept MetroCards OR change. If one doesn't work, the other is waived.

And sometimes when bus runs out of bus transfers, bus operators make free ride.

It happened to me on M1, M2, M3, M4, M5, M79, M86, M57, M31, X25, M57, M60, Q35, Q53.

If you put as much emphasis on studying English as you did with your railfan/busfan stats, you'd teach at Columbia.

They also do this a lot when buses are running late, I once had to wait for the Q44 for about 40 minutes during the morning rush hour, a JAM RTS had to come and do the Q44, they let people on for free and skipped all stops until we got to Union Turnpike (from Archer & Merrick) there were crowds on top of crowds at the bus stops we passed (people had to stand in the street because it was so packed on the sidewalk), it was ridiculous.

I just got way off topic lol, I like when the farebox breaks down because its a free and faster ride.

They also do this a lot when buses are running late, I once had to wait for the Q44 for about 40 minutes during the morning rush hour, a JAM RTS had to come and do the Q44, they let people on for free and skipped all stops until we got to Union Turnpike (from Archer & Merrick) there were crowds on top of crowds at the bus stops we passed (people had to stand in the street because it was so packed on the sidewalk), it was ridiculous.

I just got way off topic lol, I like when the farebox breaks down because its a free and faster ride.

I'd rather have my bottom lip pulled over my head than ride the Q44. That bus was created by the Devil.

Agreed! Plus sometimes B/Os like to let people in for free when the bus station is crawdad to speed things up, which plays a role on causing the T/A to lose revenue..

@Zman- Both of your jokes are funny especially the Queens 44 made by the Devil LOL xD. You should get paid extra for entertainment on the NYCT system B)

LP

I'd rather have my bottom lip pulled over my head than ride the Q44. That bus was created by the Devil.
lmao wow.....why do u fell that way...I woulnd like to know...........anyway the q88 does this a lot....once that bus hits queens collage the bus line are around the corner......stack upthem when the q88 pulls up he open back and front doors to get them in. Quicker....back in. The green line day when the q6 would pull up at suptin blvd it was no hold bars people would just jump to the back door......or sometime people who were in the back woud keep the door (or hold them closed so they would not get in.....good old days.....

LPlmao wow.....why do u fell that way...I woulnd like to know...........anyway the q88 does this a lot....once that bus hits queens collage the bus line are around the corner......stack upthem when the q88 pulls up he open back and front doors to get them in. Quicker....back in. The green line day when the q6 would pull up at suptin blvd it was no hold bars people would just jump to the back door......or sometime people who were in the back woud keep the door (or hold them closed so they would not get in.....good old days.....

Up until about six months ago, I used to go to the Bronx on the (2) line for 5-6 week periods, twice a year, due to union business. Since I didn't have wheels, I had to take the Q44 to the last stop in order to hop on the deuce. The ride was about an hour from Briarwood. I had to be on the 5:30 am bus to get there on time. Every time I boarded the bus north of Queens Blvd, there were no seats and when there were seats, the s-p-r-e-a-d-e-r-s would take up two at a time. I tried the bus after and the bus before: no luck.

So one time I decided that in order to have a seat on the bus, I would try taking the bus leaving at 4:40 am. I thought that I'd have a seat, get to work 45 minutes early, eat breakfast and slowly begin my day.

The bus showed up...and the fu*ker was so damn crowded that I barely passed the white line by the driver. 4:40 am and it looked like the bus was heading to downtown Tijuana. FOUR FORTY IN THE DAMN MORNING!!! Unbelievable.

When I took the Q44 to the (2), it would take me 1 hour and 35 minutes to get there...longer to go home. By car: 20 minutes plus 5 minutes to park. Now I can do two round-trips by car in the same time that I can do one simple one-way trip by bus/train.

You want to win the war in Iraq? Forget waterboarding, stick them on the Q44 and they'll sing like canaries to the investigators.

Archived