Obama Extends Cuba Embargo

mark1447

29nuv0g.jpg

President Barack Obama has extended the U.S. trade embargo on Cuba for one year, the White House said in a statement released on Monday.

The extension was expected and has been the practice of all U.S. presidents dating to the 1970s under a section of the so-called "Trading With the Enemy Act."

Obama extended the embargo even though he has made reaching out to old U.S. foes a key plank in his foreign policy.

There have been signs of a possible thaw in U.S.-Cuban ties since Raul Castro early last year took over as president from his ailing brother Fidel. Fidel Castro had held the post since heading the revolution that ousted the U.S.-backed Batista regime on Jan. 1, 1959.

Obama has sought to reach out to Cuba by easing travel and financial restrictions on Americans with family in Cuba. The two countries have said they will hold talks on resuming direct mail links. But Obama has also said he will not lift the embargo until Cuba undertakes democratic and economic reforms.

In signing the extension, Obama was taking a symbolic step because existing law, the Helms-Burton Act, requires Congress to take action specifically ending the embargo.

But Obama also bypassed an opportunity to suggest a willingness for easing U.S.-Cuban animosity.

The White House statement renewing the provisions was dated Sept. 11 but only released on Monday, when the last extension, issued by former President George W. Bush, was to expire.

"I hereby determine that the continuation for one year of the exercise of those authorities with respect to Cuba is in the national interest of the United States," Obama said in a memorandum addressed to Secretary of State Hillary Rodham Clinton and Treasury Secretary Timothy Geithner.

SOURCE: WNBC-4 New York

September 14, 2009

Change is all you're gonna have left once Barrys done with ya. :cool:

Obama ain't the problem it's congress, the house, and all the special interests.

get ready for another financial crash in the next decade if no new rules get put in. don't invest your money with the crooks and don't go into debt with them neither and you'll be alright let them take the fall not you...

obama can talk change all he wants but until people in this country stop being pathetic whiny complaining selifsh entitled politically correct materialistic do nothing dips***s everythings gonna just stay the same

yeah finance isn't broken, dont have to fix that, gotta let "free market" run wild, hey we saw what that did a year ago how quickly we forget...can't constrain creativity by protecting consumers neither...its perfectly reasonable theyll read and understand a 150 page contract before signing that loan...

healthcare isn't broken...i pay 1230/yr if i want to see the doctor once im healthy its there when i need it, everything's good...never mind half of US personal bankruptcies are medical related or the second i get sick my coverage is going to pull out from under me like the proverbial rug...

who needs change?

executives pulling huge salaries hey they earned it (hand in pants stroking) look at how smart they are! but the average working stiff puts in more hours for less pay and those are the lucky ones the rest are trying to FIND work...

government in debt population in debt, cant even provide for our people gotta import s*** from Indonesia and China and doing nothing about it, caught up in not one but TWO unwinnable wars against an enemy that won't quit blowing money by the day bombing terrorists with leaders in waiting ready to pop back up and take over for the dead guy...and pissing off innocents when we destroy their lands and kill their families (OOPS we missed..) so they sign up to help the terrorists too...

like i said we are f***ed until someone gets the balls to do something CORRECT to reverse all this, NOT further it which is of course what short sighted business and special interests want so let it all burn save yourselves cuz no one else will...

there are days some things look real bad and this is one of those...

/rant

Oh you mean we aren't f**ked up big time already? >.>

hey censor your lang bro.. :)

btw reading this myself, does this mean people are allowed to trade money from US <> Cuba? but for a yr..

Until human rights issues are addressed i see no issue in keeping it there one more year.

- A

i agree whole heartedly the embargo on cuba should be lifted they are our neighbor just 50 miles away from miami if we can trade with china and the soviet union there is no reason why we can trade with cuba and castro its time the cubans in miami stop dictatating our foreign policy in reguards to cuba which is outdated and vindictive

What happened to all this CHANGE we kept hearing about? I guess it was just a campaign slogan and not a real deal.

Even if there was change, we're too close to rock bottom to recover in the foreseeable future....I think lol

Even if there was change, we're too close to rock bottom to recover in the foreseeable future....I think lol

He's just another example of all these people who think that the same way things got bad literally quick flash, its going to turn around the same fashion. It just doesn't work like that. You can fall 30K+ into debt in a flash but you'll spend quite a few years fixing it. I don't understand why people don't get that recovery is not as quick as failure.

He's just another example of all these people who think that the same way things got bad literally quick flash, its going to turn around the same fashion. It just doesn't work like that. You can fall 30K+ into debt in a flash but you'll spend quite a few years fixing it. I don't understand why people don't get that recovery is not as quick as failure.

Remember: I said "...I think lol" because I think anything's possible with the weird stuff Ive seen.

And how does saying "we're too close to rock bottom to recover in the forseeable future" make me think that it will recover quickly? I'm saying it's gonna take a long time.

Remember: I said "...I think lol" because I think anything's possible with the weird stuff Ive seen.

And how does saying "we're too close to rock bottom to recover in the forseeable future" make me think that it will recover quickly? I'm saying it's gonna take a long time.

its not...we both know who i was talkin about sir. and it wasn't you.

Archived