Your oldest memory of the subway

rr4567

in 2002, R62A on the (2) to and from home. It pulled in at Winthrop St, i was in shock, and it pulled in at Atlantic Av when i was going home, i was like "WOW", this happened on a weekend.

in 1999, R62A on the (5), caught it at Bowling Green heading to the Bronx on a saturday.

in 1998, R62A on the <5>, caught it at Franklin Av heading to Nereid Av-238 St on a weekday.

in 2001, R40 Slant on the (M), they look really bad on the (M). (During the 9-11 incident, (M) trains ran full time between Metropolitan Av, Queens and Coney Island via Sea Beach Local, replacing the (N) in Brooklyn.)

in 2000, 2005, 2006, R68 on the (D) running on the (F) line. in 2000, i caught the (D) at 34 St-Herald Sq, running local to West 4 St, then on the (F) line to Coney Island, i took it all the way to stillwell ave. in 2005, caught the (D) at Bergen St after school, and took it straight to Church Av. in 2007, i caught the (D) at Jay St-Borough Hall and took it to 4 Av-9 St.

in 2000, R68 (D) train (via Brighton Local) ran on the (N)(R) line between DeKalb Av and 34 St and terminated. it was a weekend thing where there were no trains via Bridge. (:) operated as 2 shuttles: 1. from Coney Island to 36 St, and 2. from 2 Av on the (F) line to 21 St-Queensbridge.

in 2005 during weekend Astoria Construction, R68A on the (N) ran on the (R) line via Queens Blvd Local. caught it at 34 St-Herald Sq and took it to Forest Hills-71 Ave. it was a fun ride to and from Forest Hills.

in 1999, R62A on the (6)<6>. nice view along the (6) line in the Bronx.

R68A on the (D)<Q>, lots of times, i enjoyed them, lol, same for R68A (Q) trains.

in 1998, R46 on the (:( train pulled in at Pacific St, i took it to Bay 50 St, it was during Weekday Rush Hour. that R46 was taken off the (F), and placed on the (B).

in early 2001, R46 on the (D) pulled in at DeKalb Ave, i took it to Parkside Ave. it was a weekend. that R46 was taken off the (F) and placed on the (D). that same day i took an R68A (D) that was taken off the (B).

in 2006, R62 on the (4), that was the last time i ever took an R62 on the (4).

in 2005, R62A on the (9), last train in service made all local stops.

in 1999, R68A on the (B) train ran on the (A)(C) line from West 4 St to Euclid Av via Fulton St Local replacing the (C) during rush hours. im not sure why it was running there though. i caught it at Jay St-Borough Hall and took it to Utica Ave. it was such a fun ride!

Lets see, these were all during the time i lived in manhattan...

-About 1996(or 97) the R130s were in testing on the (2) plus the 131 (A) line. Saw it. I rode the 131s how ever..

-1994-2002, the redbirds on the (2)(4)(5)(6)(7).. Rode em from time to time

-2000-2002 saw a few G/Os of the (5)s running on R62As and ran via the Broadway line from Mott avenue to TSQ..

-1998- Remembered the L1, L2, L3 (S) Buses that replaced the (2)(3) along the Lenox Line.. Due to rehab. On that I remember the (2) Redbirds running on the Lex Line as well as running to the bronx on the brooklyn bound track. No downtown service however. (3)s were on R62As running on the (1) to 137th St..

-Remembered the (9)! Even before 2005!

-The (:( was all R40s The Slant versions and ran on the West End. (D) was always and still is R68s, ran via Brighton with the (Q6) Express.

-(B) Ran to 168th, QueensBridge during different hours and (C) to 168th, 145th and Bedford Pk Blvd as well, till they swapped ends..

-Even tho the (MTA) new logo existed, the entire system[if im correct]of the subway cars and buses still used the (NYCT) logo till about 1998/1999.

-I remembered north of Freeman St on the WPR Line that there was an old junction, but now removed.

Besides Trains:

-Remembered a lot of buses running on the 80s/90s version of the RTS.. Limited Orion Vs i saw..

-Bx19 home was mother clara hale bus depot, M100/M104 Amsterdam, all running RTSs.

-I think the M5 didnt ran on Riverside drive but rather on broadway.[Correct me if im wrong]

-I rode the Orion VI on the M2/M3 buses

-M10 ran from Harlem-159th Street to Battery Park City

-I saw a few FL9/FL10s on the MNCRR, which they didnt have GE Genesis P32AC-DM at the time. the old (NYCT) (Blue M) was all ove the M1 though M6 on the LIRR/MNCRR

-The air train did not exist, but I rode the Free PA shuttle buses when i was going out of state within JFK..

Anyways theres more, but ill keep it like this :)

R68s on the (D) on the Brighton line and the (Q6). Redbirds on the (2)/<5> lines, tokens, Blue metrocars the fare being a 1:50 etc. Also I remeber the WTC towers, it was nice looking at them from Brooklyn. I remeber walking down flatbush ave at night and you can see them for deep in brooklyn. Sadly I never got to go inside the towers but I been in WTC 7 (The old brown one, not the current one) the underground mall and the old path station that was there. I also remeber remeber the 8400 TMC RTS @ Flatbush still had there 6V92 engines in them.

It's non-subway related, but I remember when cars were allowed on the Staten Island Ferry! One time, my dad met up with some old friends in Manhattan and they were heading to Staten Island, via the ferry. Those were some real good times....

There is an old thread just like this one, but I can definitely bring up my earliest memory again. In the summer of 94, I rode the subway from 88st on the Fulton EL on R44 5278 to Broadway-Nassau and transferred to a R40M J train to Canal St. On the way back, I had R44 5377 at Broadway-Nassau. Since then, I haven't been on an R44 until 97. Those R38s were definitely rocky, but they never failed me in any aspect.

Since when were you alive when the (1) ran the pre-Redbird cars? (1)(9) only ran R62As dude

There was a time when the (1) ran redbirds, but I'm not sure when. I don't know about the (9) because not all of the redbirds had new signs installed for a (9) reading.

There was a time when the (1) ran redbirds, but I'm not sure when. I don't know about the (9) because not all of the redbirds had new signs installed for a (9) reading.

It might of been during the late 80s. I dont remember the 90s having (1)s on R26/28/29/33ML/36ML Maybe R33MLs?

Yeah, I remembered when the Redbirds were being phased out by the R142s, the (2)(4)(5)(6) got R142s while the (1)(3) and (7) had R62s. I always used to complain that the R142s didn't go out to the other lines. But eh, I was only a kid back then.

Yeah, I remembered when the Redbirds were being phased out by the R142s, the (2)(4)(5)(6) got R142s while the (1)(3) and (7) had R62s. I always used to complain that the R142s didn't go out to the other lines. But eh, I was only a kid back then.

Now that i remember, R142 on the (1)! Last time i saw one was in 2006. The (3) was in testing but never saw em. Excluding this yrs R142 (3)..

btw why was it testing on the (1)(3) if they were not getting it? I think?

Now that i remember, R142 on the (1)! Last time i saw one was in 2006. The (3) was in testing but never saw em. Excluding this yrs R142 (3)..

btw why was it testing on the (1)(3) if they were not getting it? I think?

Well there was one occasion when a train of R142s saw regular service on the (3) but it was a one-time occurrence. The (1) saw R142s at one time but only during G.O.'s though.

Around 1975, I remember waiting at Lex/53 with my mother. We let an R9 70(E) train pass by for an slant R40 70(F).

Earliest memory: around 2 years of age, watching the black cabs and double decker Routemaster buses pass by at London Gatwick Airport.

Back then it was the Orange (Q6). B)

I remember when I saw an R40 Orange Q train crossing the Manhattan Bridge in 97', I was like "yuck" they transferred more of those awkward ones from the L. It was much later however that I realized the R40s came from the B.

Archived