Express or Local?

EE Broadway Local

LOL

You know how many times I get on a (R) or (V) at CTL if the (E) is crowded as shit? Sitting > rushing.

Lol.

totally agreed. That's why for years when I was still on the East Side, I ALWAYS took the 6 over the 4/5. After one month dealing with crush load commuting, I gave up on the 4/5 and just took the 6. Sure I had to wake up 10-15min sooner, but at least I eventually got a seat and got a quick nap too ;)

Lol.

totally agreed. That's why for years when I was still on the East Side, I ALWAYS took the 6 over the 4/5. After one month dealing with crush load commuting, I gave up on the 4/5 and just took the 6. Sure I had to wake up 10-15min sooner, but at least I eventually got a seat and got a quick nap too ;)

LOL i find the (6) just every bit as crowded as the (4), although many times the (5) is least crowded of all.

When I'm coming northbound from Brooklyn up the east side, I'll transfer at Brooklyn Bridge for the (6) though because it is near empty and I'm guaranteed a seat on the ride up, so that's my example of when crowding leads me to take LCL over EXP

LOL i find the (6) just every bit as crowded as the (4), although many times the (5) is least crowded of all.

When I'm coming northbound from Brooklyn up the east side, I'll transfer at Brooklyn Bridge for the (6) though because it is near empty and I'm guaranteed a seat on the ride up, so that's my example of when crowding leads me to take LCL over EXP

Well I last rode the 6 regularly about 4 years ago. So I'm sure crowding has gotten much worse by then. That is true the 5 has more room, but i have to wait for the 4's to leave and at times there can be long gaps between trains. That's why I never bothered with the 4/5 and just stuck with the 6. For me the 6 was predictable and eventually I think I got a seat at least by 59th St. At times I did get lucky and got a seat at 86th.

• 11 months later...

I apologize for the bump, but in thinking about it, I think I tend to prefer locals a little more than expresses:

* 70(EE) My favorite subway line. From 1967 to 1976 this was a local line from Continental Avenue to Whitehall;

* (E) My favorite subway line since the 70(EE) was cancelled on Friday August 27, 1976. I do like the express run from Queens Plaza to Roosevelt Avenue and from Roosevelt Avenue to Continental Avenue.

Other Lines I Like:

* (W) Cancelled Friday June 25,2010. In its' final shape ran Ditmars Boulevard to Whitehall;

* 70(CC)/© Liked the R1-R9s and R27/R30s; Like the R32 Brightliners;

* (2) My favorite section is in The Bronx and Harlem from Wakefield-East 241st Street to Central Park North;

* (6) Whitlock Avenue; Westchester Square; Longest subway run in The Bronx

* (J)

* (L) Unique serpentine shaped route in Brooklyn and the Wilson Avenue and East 105th Street stations;

* (S) Franklin Avenue

* 70(AA) This was an Eighth Avenue local line which ran middays, evenings, and weekends when the 70(CC)/© didn't. During rush hours, the 70(AA) turned into 70(B)s from 168th Street-Broadway. Cancelled December 11, 1988.

I've almost never needed a local train, and express service reaches all the stops I need. Consequently, I almost never plan to leave extra time for a local reroute and whenever trains run local, I'm as good as late.

Express trains will always be my favorite. My favorite express routes

(F) in Queens

(J) Express between Myrtle and Marcy

<6> in the Bronx

(2)(4) in Manhattan

I really hate local lines. Whenever I'm on them it always makes me feel I'm gonna be late. I especially hate these local routes

(J) All stops from Chambers and Jamaica Center during the weekends

(R)

(;)(Q) Brighton Local (Can't wait till the Brighton Express comes back)

(:P© via CPW Local

I like local because when I don't know which stations I have to go, I take local to know which stop i have to go to. If I take the express and it skips my stop, I have to transfer to local.

My favorite line- IRT Lexington Avenue, BMT Broadway Subway, BMT Nassau/Jamaica

My favorite route- (1)(3)(4)(5)(6)(7)(A)(D)(E)(F)(J)(M)(N)(Q)(S)- Franklin Avenue, and 42nd Street

Express trains will always be my favorite. My favorite express routes

(F) in Queens

(J) Express between Myrtle and Marcy

<6> in the Bronx

(2)(4) in Manhattan

I really hate local lines. Whenever I'm on them it always makes me feel I'm gonna be late. I especially hate these local routes

(J) All stops from Chambers and Jamaica Center during the weekends

(R)

(;)(Q) Brighton Local (Can't wait till the Brighton Express comes back)

(:P© via CPW Local

IND Queens Boulevard Local causes delays a lot before the MTA budget cuts. That gotta suck all right.

the (F) local I took yesterday wadn't all too bad... rode it from 179th to 42nd..

guess b/c I was rather pre-occupied, it didn't feel like too much difference b/w the normal (F) in queens & the weekend (F) in queens...

at 42nd, we (well, the (F) I got off of) met up w/ an (E) that was going to LES - 2nd av... when did that start happening...

far as express or local... it aint a matter of one versus the other... since I'm more of a busfanner, I tend to view the ride on a NYC subway train all the same.....

...but I am starting to get into a habit of letting the express go, for the local train in certain areas (whenever I'm around QB, is one of those places), regardless of the time of day it is....

If I have someplace to be without a moment to waste, I'll take the (A). If not, I'll take the (C). But sometimes, the (C) will get me from my stop to Broadway - Nassau Street just as quick as the (A) would, especially when I used to start my college classes early in the morning last year and there was marginal (A) Express service at the time.

Express all day! I'm a bus guy, so If I catch the train then I really don't feel like stopping every 3 minutes! Thats why I sometimes hate my home line! The (J)(Z) skip-stop doesn't stop at my home-street! So I usually have to transfer at The Junction or Chauncy coming from Queens, or Myrtle or Gates coming from Manhattan. The (C) or the (J) can get me home when I don't feel like riding the bus....(B7), or(B26). Which is rare. I've never been able to catch an express train to my house. I always have to transfer somewhere. But the (A) and (J) have to be my favorites of all time! When I lived in Fort Greene, It was the (B54) or walk from the DeKalb Av station(:P75px-NYCS-bull-trans-M1_svg.png(Q)(R). When I lived in Bushwick, it was the (B57), (B60), or the (L).

For me, the (2) and (5) are pretty solid (the (5) does better than the (2) usually). But when one of them are down due to construction or emergency, I trek over to Longwood Avenue for the (6) which is pretty reliable and the wait isn't too long or anxious, especially with the countdown clocks at the station.

Express!

Need for speed. I'm such a "fanboy" for a train hurdling down the track (I'm a girl). The 7 yr old child comes out of me when I'm on a super fast train. I'm all like "Cool" and "Awesome!"

I always take the express train, even if I have to stop at a local station..I just switch to the local at the last possible transfer.

Sometimes its good to just enjoy trains for the sake of enjoyment and not get so caught up with where you have to go...I mean ride the trains for fun.

Whats the fastest recorded train in NYC??

Archived