Favorite Original IRT Stations

EE Broadway Local

Along the route of the original I.R.T. what are your favorite stations between Atlantic Avenue and 96th Street-Broadway and 96th Street and 242d Street on the West Side and 96th Street and East 180th Street on the East Side?

These are our original I.R.T. stations that debuted between 1904 and 1908. You can include 145th Street-Lenox Avenue (3), old South Ferry (Inner Loop closed 1977 70(5) 70(6) 70(SS)) (Outer Loop closed 2009 (1)(9)) and even City Hall (closed 1945 still sees the (6)<6>) 18th Street (closed 1948) (6)<6> and 91st Street (closed 1959) (1).

Grand Central and Times Square are the (S) today.

I love 72nd Street on the (1), (2) and (3). because that's my favorite area in Manhattan that I'd someday like to live in. Bleecker and Spring Streets on the (6)/<6> are good too, because they are located in SoHo which was my hang-out spot while I was in high school.

145th Street-Lenox Avenue (3) is the shortest length station today while 66th Street-Lincoln Center (1) likely is the longest length station today.

On the old Third Avenue El 70(8) my favorite station was 210th Street-Williamsbridge. This station was at Gun Hill Road and Webster Avenue.

Current original I.R.T. stations:

East Tremont Avenue-West Farms Square (2)(5)

33d Street (6)<6>

Atlantic Avenue (2)(3)(4)(5)

One thing I like about 33d Street is the express tracks are lower than the local tracks.

145th Street-Lenox Avenue (3) is the shortest length station today while 66th Street-Lincoln Center (1) likely is the longest length station today.

On the old Third Avenue El 70(8) my favorite station was 210th Street-Williamsbridge. This station was at Gun Hill Road and Webster Avenue.

Current original I.R.T. stations:

East Tremont Avenue-West Farms Square (2)(5)

33d Street (6)<6>

Atlantic Avenue (2)(3)(4)(5)

One thing I like about 33d Street is the express tracks are lower than the local tracks.

Do you mean platform length or station length? 14 Street easily beats 66 Street.

Times Sq on the (S)huttle has always interested me because of its modifications to its present configuration. Unfortunately, it seems that most of the original parts of the station have been covered up with a few small sections of tilework, ornamental ceiling, and that door with Knickerbocker over it. I hate that it's now covered with ugly ads and looks like a mess, but I consider that my favorite original IRT station.

14th St-Union Sq, one of the last two stations that still has the gap fillers in active service.

Agreed 100%

14th Street - Union Square

72nd Street

33rd Street

The Original South Ferry

Atlantic Ave

59th Street - 7th Ave IRT

These are my favorite stations in the IRT, original or not.

On all the tracks? they must of been half way down the platform because I was near the bumper block and never saw any.. But I know they are on the (S) but I don't remember which track or all of them.

Track 4 I believe.

On all the tracks? they must of been half way down the platform because I was near the bumper block and never saw any.. But I know they are on the (S) but I don't remember which track or all of them.

As you may know, they're a bit different at Times Sq (S) being under platform level (like a step down) as opposed to 14 St and old So/Fy.

Archived