Attention: In order to reply to messages, create topics, have access to other features of the community you must sign up for an account.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DOB2RTO

Artics and snow/ice don't mix......

What a day today was. As you know I work overnight. Well it didn't snow until my break early this morning. When I woke up, the ground was covered in snow and ice. Everything went relatively well until about the 3rd stop (187st). There the problems started slowly. First every time I tried to stop the bus, the middle would start to bend towards the right. It kept up until Southern Blvd and Westchester Avenue. There I met up with my leader. We both were parallel to the bus stop (can't pull in in snow). When they tried to leave, their bus jackknifed and started sliding towards the right. I tried to move my bus did the same thing. The middle of our buses were bent to max angle and near light poles. The 3rd bus made it through just to get stuck further up the line. When I finally got out (backed out), I was going to where the dispatcher sent me to be put in place. Going there the front of my bus, starting sliding towards a parked car, when I tried to stop. At that point a next bus coming across 149st, jackknifed and came very close to a light pole. Another dispatcher tried to get us out, but it was fruitless. It was too much ice under the snow. Sanitation finally showed up, and backed up towards the jackknifed bus. Their dump mechanism to dump salt got jammed. So they just let the truck spray salt around the bus. Myself and the other driver sat there for at least an hour. By then the salt had melted the ice under their bus, and the salt the second dispatcher threw under my bus did its job. While going empty N/B back to Tremont, I saw yet another bus jackknifed and VERY close to a group of parked cars. It was loads of fun. I got to kill almost a whole round trip, and got paid an extra hour since I was an hour late to clear.

Customers had their snide comments, because they know more about driving an artic bus than we do. Besides they just show frustration, when they can't get where they need to go. Alot of them had no reason to be out there early Sunday morning anyway. I told them simply to take the 2/5 train, then walk a little. The artics we have are pusher models. That means they are rear wheel drive. That does not mean both rear wheels power the bus. Kind of similar to the old Cadillacs but opposite, the artics rear wheel drive, is the rear left wheels takes the power, then transfers it to the rear right wheels. That delay means that on snow and ice, the left wheel starts moving first, which then puts force on the middle left side (bendy) part. That forces the bendy part to go right, which is why it is common to see pusher type artics stuck in snow and ice bend towards the right.

I really think that like myself and a cool Superintendent talked about, the MTA needs to get the Van-Hool pulley type artic. The drive wheels are the center wheels, and that eliminates the jackknife feature that the pusher models present. Besides with the engine up front, it provides additional weight to the front of the bus. The only thing both could have in common then is, the rear just going where it wants to go on ice. Now I know why some areas that experience snow and ice, would rather buy pulley models. But I'm just a dumb driver, so what do I know.

wild story man thanks for sharing. I could imagine how the passengers feel when they are in a bus thats jacknifing.

Did the artics have chains on the wheels?

Nope. It started that snow/ice overnight, so they didn't have time to put the chains on. I doubt it would of kept the buses from jackknifing, due to the chains being put on the rear wheels. It still would of pushed the middle to the right. It's not the snow really. It was ice that caused the problem. I almost busted my chops.

Thank god for the curbs.

The overhang in the middle when those buses bend, the middle would go over the curb, and into whatever is next to the middle of the bus (i.e. light poles, hydrants etc...) Besides NYC puts to many things to close to the curb on sidewalks. That is why the back of so many Orions, New Flyers, and MCIs stay banged up.

You wasn't the only one. I was talking with an R&T driver yesterday and she did early trips on the 10 in the morning before switching to the 4 and she said was slippin and sliding all over the Blvd. She said it got so bad, that when she got to Bayonne, she had to call control to help her out and get some sand on the wheels.

The overhang in the middle when those buses bend, the middle would go over the curb, and into whatever is next to the middle of the bus (i.e. light poles, hydrants etc...) Besides NYC puts to many things to close to the curb on sidewalks. That is why the back of so many Orions, New Flyers, and MCIs stay banged up.

A couple of years back I was driving a Ford Econoline van and drove into an ice patch that covered the whole street. Thank god I was going slow that when my slid off towards the curb the tires of van stopped it. And thank god there was no cars parked there too. But I see what you mean too.

cars/buses/etc on the snow is fun to watch. some people, they just accelerate the car and then the snow flies all over the place lol

cars/buses/etc on the snow is fun to watch. some people, they just accelerate the car and then the snow flies all over the place lol

It's fun when it's just snow. Ice under the snow makes a dangerous situation though.

A couple of years back I was driving a Ford Econoline van and drove into an ice patch that covered the whole street. Thank god I was going slow that when my slid off towards the curb the tires of van stopped it. And thank god there was no cars parked there too. But I see what you mean too.

Its one thing to slide with a straight vehicle, towards a curb. Artics slide in a V shape. The middle will hit whatever is near the curb, but the front and rear will be out towards the street. Remember the center wheels are forward of the bendy part, so by the time the center wheels hit the curb, the middle is already well over the curb.

yes ice is bad.

the reason for the ice (well at least on sidewalks) is some of the little Miss Cinderella's cannot go outside and shovel, instead they just put some salt outside. then, the snow melts into a puddle, freezes overnight, and voila you have ice and then people slip and fall and everything.

my secret to walking on ice and not slipping though is to go slowly and relax. i learned that after years and years of slipping on ice and falling on it and breaking my face because some of those terrible people are too lazy to get their shovels.

i learned that after years and years of slipping on ice and falling on it and breaking my face because some of those terrible people are too lazy to get their shovels.

That explains why your face looks the way it does. I was starting to think it was natural :D.

You did provide the ammo for this joke.

wild story man thanks for sharing. I could imagine how the passengers feel when they are in a bus thats jacknifing.

Happened to me once, on the Bx19 coming home one day, as we were at 173rd Street. I thought the bus was going to hit one of those pillars on Southern Boulevard, but thankfully, it didn't.

It isn't fun, I'll say that much.

Still, thanks for sharing, D.

Happened to me once, on the Bx19 coming home one day, as we were at 173rd Street. I thought the bus was going to hit one of those pillars on Southern Boulevard, but thankfully, it didn't.

It isn't fun, I'll say that much.

Still, thanks for sharing, D.

No prob. This is what goes through the drivers head. Accident report.

No prob. This is what goes through the drivers head. Accident report.

I hope this winter is not to bad for you guys.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.