I got on an R142 3 train

r40s 4501

Did you see or did you board and ride an R142 (3) train between these stations? Your thread title seems to say something different from your post.

he might be saysing he rode it from 135th to Lenox Terminal...

Tho i still dont believe in this with out proof!

Its possible, the (2) line could have been messed up and the crew of that train changed the sign to (3) to avoid confusion. Simply put it, it could have been an (2) that got retrouted on the (3) to Lenox. It happend two times in the B div, where an 160 (N) got rerouted over the (Q) line (Before the (Q) started using R160s) and a 160 (W) somehow ended up on the Bay Ridge line but signed up as an (R).

Last time there was a R142 3 train, it was because of a G.O. IIRC, was a month or two ago, Ali3Exp has a video of it.

Yes, I did catch that on the weekend after Memorial Day. It's possible our OP didn't get a pic or a video, it was VERY hard for me to take that video with 2 suitcases in my hand.

This has happened but only on rare occasions.

Every line has a maintenance facility to where cars go for repairs and inspections. Also each facility has a certain number of railcars it needs to have fit for service so that it can release them for use. But if there is a major repair to be made or if critical tests have to be performed after a major repair the cars may not be released in time to fulfill the needs of the line. So what happens in these cases is cars may be borrowed from another facility that has cars layed up in their yard that are called "GAP" trains. These trains are fit for service but are not needed by that facilities line at the time. In the case of the 3 train using a R142 the 3 line facility only has R62's but nearby facilities have R142's that are borrowed in these rare occasions.

Archived