Attention: In order to reply to messages, create topics, have access to other features of the community you must sign up for an account.
Sign in to follow this  
EE Broadway Local

Whatever Became Of These Subway Cars?

Whatever became of these proposed/planned subway car types:

The R55

The R67

The R83

The R110A

The R110B

The R130

The R131

And are these subway cars set for future purchases:

The R179

The R188

and The R197?

The R110A & B were not proposed cars but rather prototypes. They led to the development of the R142, R143 and the R160.

The R110A & B were not proposed cars but rather prototypes. They led to the development of the R142 and the R160.

Don't forget the R143 :P

The R55 was a planned subway car order which evolved into the present R68/R68A class. The R67 and R83 I believe are work car orders. R110A(R130) and R110B(R131) were prototypes for the R142, R143, and R160. The R179 and R188 are currently still in the design phases and the R179 should be ordered anytime between 2010 and 2011. I also believe that the R188 is mostly a conversion of a couple hundred R142 cars.

The R130s were pretty cool. I remember riding them when I was a little tyke (lol). I miss their propulsion! I'd do anything to hear what it sounds like again.

The R110A and R110B are so much better than the R142 and R160.

AGREE 100%, They Look Better too, Especialy The R110B's(R131)

Why do people STILL not get it that the R110/A/B were TEST trains and not intended to remain in service for a full lifetime?

I rode the R110B once...it was a cool train, but it's not going to come back so I don't get what all the fuss is about

Why do people STILL not get it that the R110/A/B were TEST trains and not intended to remain in service for a full lifetime?

I rode the R110B once...it was a cool train, but it's not going to come back so I don't get what all the fuss is about

As long as the possibility for fuss exists, fussing will prevail.

lol i understand...having never seen one myself I didn't have much to go on. They're being talked about like they should have been in revenue.

Wasnt the R55 an Order for the 3rd Avenue EL before it got dismantled in 1973?

That was R39.

Never got to ride them, I don't mind watching vids [if any] of them in service, but I'm not going to lose much sleep over never having rode them or ever will.

But I will say I hope at least two cars of each is saved for the museum [of course I know it would be impossible being the R110a is a 5-car set and the R110B is a 3-car set], but still would be nice is all I'm saying.

If they're so good how come none of them are in service?

1) Prototypes

2) Unless you like crashing into bumper blocks and other things, its good that they're out of service