Worst/Most Boring Subway Lines?

R10 2952

Which, in your opinion, are the most boring and/or worst subway lines in the entire system? What is the worst (or most boring) thing about them? Is it the subway car types, the stations on the line, the amount of people, the neighborhoods that these lines run through, or maybe the line in general? IMO, the worst/most boring lines in order from highest ranking to lowest ranking are:

1. 42nd Street (S): Only R62As, always crowded, and only two stops. Both stations are crowded as well, and the cars look like the graffittied monsters of the early `80s IRT with those ad wraps.

2. (1): I ride it almost everyday. Except for the elevated sections, it is pretty miserable. Nothing but R-62As, the middle (express) track is never used for passenger service, and some of the stations are extremely decrepit. After 9:00 PM, and until 6 AM, this line is scary to use.

3. (V): Until recently, ran only R-46s. Never goes above ground, and is always running on the tracks of another line. Usually slow.

4. (D): Has never regularly used cars other than the R-68/A since ~1988. Some stations along the line need to really be fixed up, and at times, the (D) can be downright dangerous, especially at night. The West End section is very nice, but there is no rail-fan window.

5. (R): Usually R-46s, entirely underground, slow-moving, infrequent, and overall boring. Stations on the southern portion of the line are somewhat ugly, and the (R) is never an express.

6. (W): A rather short line. The line itself is a pleasant ride, and most of the stations look nice, but the line is shorter than most other B-Division lines, and uses almost exclusively R-160s.

7. Rockaway (S): One of the least utilized lines in the system. The neighborhoods around it are a bit plain, and are unsafe. Otherwise, it's OK.

Other possible candidates: (Q), (G), (C), (;), (E), (L), (4)

Which lines do you guys think are the worst and/or most boring?

The (C) because it runs under 6 TPH headways. Rush hour is no improvement, even when it runs 7 TPH.

wats TPH mean/stands for?

as for lines:

-Id Say all the (S), cuz they stay in one place and not go anywhere else.

-42nd St (S)! Track 1 always filled with ads. And Give it the R130s!! Fix it up and let it run!

-the SIRTOA, come on! I hate it in one boro SI!

-(C)(E)(R)(V) they never pop out the tube, except heading for yard

-The (;) on R68/As! I wish the slants were on it!

-The (A). Id use a different letter then having 3 (A)s: Mott Ave, Rockaway pk, Lefferts. I like the (A) but needs a split..

Take (L) off the possible list! That line is quiet fun to ride.

I agree. The (L) is definitely an interesting line, mostly due to how "disconnected" it is from the rest of the system (save for the spaghetti of tracks at Broadway Junction).

TPH simply means the number of trains on a given line at a given station heading in a given direction that stop there in the course of ~1 hour. For example, 6-7 (C) trains will stop at Hoyt-Schermerhorn Street headed towards 168th Street between, let's say, 4 and 5 PM. Also, car class has nothing to do with TPH. As far as the term itself is concerned, 3 of these trains could be slants, 1 could be an R-44, and the remaining 3 could be R-38s.

Oh ok, but he says 6 and 7 TPH, do this means 6-7 sets of 32s are running the (C)?

Mark, if you stood by a station and watched the trains go by, (C) trains would pass by, let's say, 50th Street, at least six times within the hour (so from 1200-1300, six trains would have past by, every 10 minutes or so).

Mark, if you stood by a station and watched the trains go by, (C) trains would pass by, let's say, 50th Street, at least six times within the hour (so from 1200-1300, six trains would have past by, every 10 minutes or so).

TPH simply means the number of trains on a given line at a given station heading in a given direction that stop there in the course of ~1 hour. For example, 6-7 (C) trains will stop at Hoyt-Schermerhorn Street headed towards 168th Street between, let's say, 4 and 5 PM. Also, car class has nothing to do with TPH. As far as the term itself is concerned, 3 of these trains could be slants, 1 could be an R-44, and the remaining 3 could be R-38s.

I got it! Thanks!

Archived