Worst/Most Boring Subway Lines?

R10 2952

I don't know how a subway line can be boring, it is transportation so I am pretty sure that are not targeting the entertainment market. How do you want them to make your $2.25 worthwhile, have them hire clowns and jugglers to entertain you while you are riding the train?

The worst is the (4) uptown during the am rush hours and headed downtown during the pm rush hours in the middle of the school year.

so wat does he mean?

Im not so familiar with in depth transit u know..

Example:

The (E) uses 25 or 26 sets

Runs 15TPH (every 4 minutes)

Ontopic - I have to disagree with what everyone says about the (R). I don't think the line is slow, EXCEPT for between Canal St. and 36th St. That part can be very slow because it's basically timer city (doesn't apply to stations below Pacific, though). HOWEVER, if you were to railfan the (R) with an R42 between Canal and Pacific I hardly doubt you guys would say the (R) is boring. There's so many curves and all, interesting bellmouths, track diversions, etc.

The (E) is also a very interesting line (with RFW), in Queens. I don't know how the (:( got to the most boring lines section - back when it had the RFW it was second only to the (A) as the most interesting line in the system to me. Also, the Broadway Local from Queens/boro Plaza to Canal St. is a rather interesting line as well, especially above Times Sq.

When the B became the Brighton express, it became a fun line to ride especially with the rfw. I only wished I railfanned it more, but it was a fun ride to Brighton Beach.

I do understand how anyone would say the B is boring now that there are no more rfw's on it [except for the 1 R32 train, but now the B is running local].

The R has to be the most frustrating line ever. On weekends, it usually clogs up other trains and the wait time for each train is at least 20 minutes. During the weekdays, it's a little better but still too slow. Ironically, I would always get a V train when I take a local QB train to Queens Center.

The R has to be the most frustrating line ever. On weekends, it usually clogs up other trains and the wait time for each train is at least 20 minutes. During the weekdays, it's a little better but still too slow. Ironically, I would always get a V train when I take a local QB train to Queens Center.

It's slow because every other line gets thrown in front of the (R). Has nothing to do with the line. I've been a rider of the (R) train 20 years and counting and it's very reliable in Brooklyn.

Then you should point out where you think it has issues rather than bringing down the entire line.

Agreed. I've been riding the (R) almost as long and I've found it to be very dependable. It's very unusual for something to happen which causes a major delay. Parts of the line where I've observed problems with other trains being put ahead are S/B in the 60 St Tunnels where the (N) & (W) converge, 34 St where the (N) crosses, Rector approaching Whitehall, and approaching 36 St S/B behind the (M). I would also note this is primarily in the afternoon.

7. Rockaway (S): One of the least utilized lines in the system. The neighborhoods around it are a bit plain, and are unsafe. Otherwise, it's OK.

WHAT?!?!?!? The neighborhoods the Rock Park (S) go through aren't unsafe, even at Beach 90th where there is a project nearby. They're just non-descript.

Otherwise, as far as my vote for boring line, etc., there's nothing worse than the Grand Central (S). I worked that line three times in my career. 41 freakin' round-trips, it felt like I was doing time in Folsom.

I'd say the (E) or (F) because aren't they totally underground, they go slow in my opinion, I haven't ridden the (E) since it was like 98% R32 with no AC and the trains got stuck in the tunnels, it was the worst.

(E) was always A hot underground line it had great cars to serve it and exp was essential to queens (J)amaica-(Q)ueens (B)lvd

When the B became the Brighton express, it became a fun line to ride especially with the rfw. I only wished I railfanned it more, but it was a fun ride to Brighton Beach.

I do understand how anyone would say the B is boring now that there are no more rfw's on it [except for the 1 R32 train, but now the B is running local].

(;) line past and present will always be a hot line so yeh I disagree with you(K)<R>

The (E) is totally underground, but the A/C isn't a problem anymore since the line is 100% R160. The (F) is underground for the most part but it's elevated in most of Brooklyn - it's a rather scenic route too. That line is also about half-R160, half-R46.

The A/C will be probaly be a problem soon on those 160s on the (E). Mind you, the R142s A/Cs have a decent amount of time to rest since those IRT routes have lengthy outside runs in the BX. CI yard R160s have lengthy outside runs as well same goes for ENY. Now, the (E) line is always crowded and the (E) stays underground the entire route and is always crowded. Therefore the A/C is overworked becuase of all the people from crowding and being underground the whole day. Not to mention the fact that Jamaica yard doesn't have the best maintence. Nobody talks about this much but those R62As on the (1) have A/C problems just like the Jamaica R32s did. That line (The (1)) is mostly underground crowded most of time and its outside run its short. Theres was two TA workers talking about that and the T/O was telling how that how his operating car had no A/C and he was a puddle once he got to South Ferry. The other TA asked the T/O "Did you tell the barn about it?" and he said "I did but they said theres nothing they can do, the A/Cs just put out hot air". During the summer R62A on the (1) with broken A/Cs is common, but they always work on the (7) line though.

The A/C will be probaly be a problem soon on those 160s on the (E). Mind you, the R142s A/Cs have a decent amount of time to rest since those IRT routes have lengthy outside runs in the BX. CI yard R160s have lengthy outside runs as well same goes for ENY. Now, the (E) line is always crowded and the (E) stays underground the entire route and is always crowded. Therefore the A/C is overworked becuase of all the people from crowding and being underground the whole day. Not to mention the fact that Jamaica yard doesn't have the best maintence. Nobody talks about this much but those R62As on the (1) have A/C problems just like the Jamaica R32s did. That line (The (1)) is mostly underground crowded most of time and its outside run its short. Theres was two TA workers talking about that and the T/O was telling how that how his operating car had no A/C and he was a puddle once he got to South Ferry. The other TA asked the T/O "Did you tell the barn about it?" and he said "I did but they said theres nothing they can do, the A/Cs just put out hot air". During the summer R62A on the (1) with broken A/Cs is common, but they always work on the (7) line though.

I can't even really say what I want to say but the (7) runs through Northern Queens and a lot of "wealthier" people ride it so the (MTA) is gonna make sure the (7) is okay (isn't it always clean too?), were does the (1) run at?

I can't even really say what I want to say but the (7) runs through Northern Queens and a lot of "wealthier" people ride it so the (MTA) is gonna make sure the (7) is okay (isn't it always clean too?), were does the (1) run at?

Using previous logic, I'd have to say that's probably because the (7)/<7> spends the majority of its time outside, which makes its A/C work less hard?

The (7) had redbirds before the R62As came there. If that was the case then I'm pretty sure the 62As would have been on the (7) since they were brand new. The (7) was the last route to run the redbirds in revenue service so Northern Queens riders must not have that much effect on what type of cars that line runs. But IMO Corona Yard is the best maintence yard in the IRT, those cars are always clean, A/C always works, smooth ride, quiet brakes etc.

The (1) runs in Riverdale & Upper West Side which is upper class.

The (7) had redbirds before the R62As came there. If that was the case then I'm pretty sure the 62As would have been on the (7) since they were brand new. The (7) was the last route to run the redbirds in revenue service so Northern Queens riders must not have that much effect on what type of cars that line runs. But IMO Corona Yard is the best maintence yard in the IRT, those cars are always clean, A/C always works, smooth ride, quiet brakes etc.

The (1) runs in Riverdale & Upper West Side which is upper class.

What? They got rid of all the Redbirds? When?

I seriously didn't know where the (1) ran so that was a serious question (I wasn't trying to be funny).

I'm not a subway expert, the bus section is so quiet now lol.

Archived