Toronto Transit Commission News, Info, etc..

TTC1700

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

Some recent news: The St Clair ROW project is finally wrapping up and currently streetcars are running the full length of the line. All that needs to be done now is the construction of shelters at Old Weston Rd, Keele St, and Gunns Rd/Loop. The TTC also brought out a PCC to run on St Clair a couple weeks ago for a festival.

TTC is also participating in today's Pride Parade by bringing out VII NG 1791 and an unknown Friendly Bus as a float.

4752368846_2809a42f51.jpg

• 1 month later...

As of this month 89 Fishbowls remain at the TTC. By December 2010, 42 are expected to be retained. Those 42 will all be retired by the end of 2012.

The TTC is considering preserving two 1983 Fishbowls as historical vehicles to compliment their historical rail fleet that is available for charters and special events.

Outlined in this TTC document.

As of this month 89 Fishbowls remain at the TTC. By December 2010, 42 are expected to be retained. Those 42 will all be retired by the end of 2012.

The TTC is considering preserving two 1983 Fishbowls as historical vehicles to compliment their historical rail fleet that is available for charters and special events.

I know in San Diego, fishbowl buses remained in service until about 1996-97 as well that also had LCD signs as well.

Wow! Those buses are as old as me!

Some Updates:

- The Fishbowls have been dropping like flies. 15 have been retired in the past 48 hours.

- 1999 New Flyer D40LF 7308 caught fire.

- Noticeable construction has started for the Sheppard East LRT Line.

- Station designs for TYSSE have been revealed for 4/6 stations.

Sheppard West Station

York University Station

Highway 407 Station

Vaughan Corporate Centre Station

- An RFP has been issued for Open Payment

- And the TTC is close to closing a deal on new Headquarters and a Transit Museum.

Most if not all of them should be gone by 2012. They are being replaced Orion VIIs. 95 are to be delivered by the time the Fishbowls retire.

There are supost to be 41 left end of this year and 35 VII 's coming next year so I dont see TTC keeping 7 New looks so I wouldnt be shocked if they were gone by next summer

The TTC Customer Service Advisory Panel has released a report on how to improve the TTC. It can be viewed here. An interesting quirk is it mentions Transit Enthusiasts as "Transit Lovers" in Section 7D (Page 51).

Wow! Thats is interesting. Looks like the TTC is an agency I would love to fan! MTA needs to take some pointers from them! You guys are lucky! I will definitely have to check things out up there one day. I've been to Toronto a few times, but never had a chance to check out your system. Hopefully I will have a chance before all the RTS' are gone.

Wow! Thats is interesting. Looks like the TTC is an agency I would love to fan! MTA needs to take some pointers from them! You guys are lucky! I will definitely have to check things out up there one day. I've been to Toronto a few times, but never had a chance to check out your system. Hopefully I will have a chance before all the RTS' are gone.

The RTS should be around for another 4-6 years and they are all based out of Arrow road division

• 2 weeks later...

Mayoral Candidate Rob Ford has released his Transportation Plan for the city if her were to become mayor. One thing includes scrapping streetcars and replacing them with buses.

It can be seen here

He seriously expects money for all this will fall from the sky. We'd have this all plus more if there was just money. I seriouslt don't know where he got his facts from. "Buses hold the same amount of people as streetcars, Subways cost the same as LRT and Streetcars pollute the city."

From what I've calculated, 411 buses are gonna be needed to replace the streetcars. 2 buses for 1 CLRV and 3 buses for 1 ALRV. 411 buses replacing 247 streetcars... I don't see a cost saving in that.

Edited by TTC1700

Mayoral Candidate Rob Ford has released his Transportation Plan for the city if her were to become mayor. One thing includes scrapping streetcars and replacing them with buses.

It can be seen here

He seriously expects money for all this will fall from the sky. We'd have this all plus more if there was just money. I seriouslt don't know where he got his facts from. "Buses hold the same amount of people as streetcars, Subways cost the same as LRT and Streetcars pollute the city."

From what I've calculated, 411 buses are gonna be needed to replace the streetcars. 2 buses for 1 CLRV and 3 buses for 1 ALRV. 411 buses replacing 247 streetcars... I don't see a cost saving in that.

Dont worry his story is all BS it would cost more they he is saying and he cant do anything with transit city since Metrolinx is funding it

• 1 month later...

Fleet Updates:

- 2008 Orion VII NG 1517 and 1999 New Flyer D40LF 7308 have both officially been retired. Reason for retirement are Arson and Engine Fire respectively. Both are first to be retired in their series.

- 71 GM New Looks remain

- TRs are starting to be delivered. 5391-5396 have been delivered and are undergoing testing. They will be relieved to the public tomorrow morning at Downsview Stn at 11am.

These cars will only be run on the Yonge-University-Spadina line and not the Sheppard or Bloor-Danforth line. The 1st order will kill off the H4's and H5's with the second order killing off the H6's. When all are in service the YUS will just be Rocket cars with T1's on the Sheppard and BD lines only.

• 2 months later...