R160A's in bad condition... ALREADY!

dmouse

I was Talkin Body Wise, I know they used the same Braking systems as the Other SMEE's duh. And No They are not discribed as Redbirds, Their nickname is Brightliners Get it straight.

Please. Listen. You're dictating to everyone and taking a sanctimonious "I know all about trains, you don't" attitude which is not becoming. He clearly said "sometimes" described as Redbirds. And if you look at R32s they share a lot with redbirds. Brightliners have to do with debuting on the Brighton line. They are like a stainless steel redbird, possibly, along with the R38s, the last and most refined redbird. The R40 slant went in another direction and started a new design trend for the B division rolling stock.

R32s are durable, strong cars and the stainless steel construction has proven itself. They weren't the first, the experimental R11, also built by Budd, but only something like 10 cars, were the first R cars, but there were some experimental stainless steel cars built before that. The R160 isn't revolutionary either, it's a refinement of the R143 which is based off of the NTT R110s that were tested very well. R160s have performed WAY better than other new tech cars of their time, such as the R44s and other newbuilds such as the R68s. Cosmetically, having BEEN a rider of the cars since the 1960s, the condition of the R160s, though not the best, certainly isn't that bad and it is worse on the ENY trains, NOT the Jamaica trains. The worse time for the subways was the 1970s, deferred maintenance, where most of the cars looked and ran horribly. And all of the cars, with GOHs, went through that period and ran years later. The R160s are fairly new, have very few "teething pains" and we DO NOT KNOW how they will perform over time. We'll know more in 20 years and anyone who says they are junk and crap are just giving their personal biases and speculation.

Time marches on. I say thank you (MTA) for providing updated rolling stock on the subways and LIRR. Also thanks (NJT) for providing fairly current and nicely refurbished equipment as well.

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As a T/O on the (J) lines i can say fo ra fact that its the people who ride these trains that make them they way they are.

Normally its worse on the weekends than the weekday for some reason.

Classic point I leave Parsons and the train is clean (and im telling you the car cleaner supervisor is making sure those cars get cleaned).

I get to Chambers Street and the train looks like a diaster area, and its a darn shame these are the first people you see crying about a fare increase but they throw their chicken bones, fast food wrappers and containers, half empty soda cans, beer cans and bottles right on the floor when there is a trash can right at the station they get off.

No repsect for the system that takes them to work to school or to any other place they got to go...:P

I think the R160 looks great on the (N), (Q), and (W) lines. They must take really good care of these ones.

I agree with you there. Coney Island has improved in terms of maintenance and cleanliness with its subway cars.

Please. Listen. You're dictating to everyone and taking a sanctimonious "I know all about trains, you don't" attitude which is not becoming. He clearly said "sometimes" described as Redbirds. And if you look at R32s they share a lot with redbirds. Brightliners have to do with debuting on the Brighton line. They are like a stainless steel redbird, possibly, along with the R38s, the last and most refined redbird. The R40 slant went in another direction and started a new design trend for the B division rolling stock.

R32s are durable, strong cars and the stainless steel construction has proven itself. They weren't the first, the experimental R11, also built by Budd, but only something like 10 cars, were the first R cars, but there were some experimental stainless steel cars built before that. The R160 isn't revolutionary either, it's a refinement of the R143 which is based off of the NTT R110s that were tested very well. R160s have performed WAY better than other new tech cars of their time, such as the R44s and other newbuilds such as the R68s. Cosmetically, having BEEN a rider of the cars since the 1960s, the condition of the R160s, though not the best, certainly isn't that bad and it is worse on the ENY trains, NOT the Jamaica trains. The worse time for the subways was the 1970s, deferred maintenance, where most of the cars looked and ran horribly. And all of the cars, with GOHs, went through that period and ran years later. The R160s are fairly new, have very few "teething pains" and we DO NOT KNOW how they will perform over time. We'll know more in 20 years and anyone who says they are junk and crap are just giving their personal biases and speculation.

Time marches on. I say thank you (MTA) for providing updated rolling stock on the subways and LIRR. Also thanks (NJT) for providing fairly current and nicely refurbished equipment as well.

As much as I do expect more from a newer train, the R160 right now is not providing it. But tell you what, I'll give them a chance. The R44s were given countless chances, and are only on life support for another two or three years. I hope the R160s aren't "lemons" in the future like how R44s to this day still are.

As a T/O on the (J) lines i can say fo ra fact that its the people who ride these trains that make them they way they are.

Classic point I leave Parsons and the train is clean (and im telling you the car cleaner supervisor is making sure those cars get cleaned).

I get to Chambers Street and the train looks like a diaster area, and its a darn shame these are the first people you see crying about a fare increase but they throw their chicken bones, fast food wrappers and containers, half empty soda cans, beer cans and bottles right on the floor when there is a trash can right at the station they get off.

No repsect for the system that takes them to work to school or to any other place they got to go...:(

I ride the (J) on the weekends from Parsons to B'way Junction to catch the (A) in the winter to get to Aqueduct racetrack. I don't like to throw stones, but my fellow riders on that line do not treat the cars very well. Some lines should continue to get the older cars due to this, if you treat the trains like crap, you get crap. That is just my opinion though.

I ride the (J) on the weekends from Parsons to B'way Junction to catch the (A) in the winter to get to Aqueduct racetrack. I don't like to throw stones, but my fellow riders on that line do not treat the cars very well. Some lines should continue to get the older cars due to this, if you treat the trains like crap, you get crap. That is just my opinion though.

The older cars are NOT crap. Well, some of them are becoming crap because they are aging, like the R42, so what would you expect?

Let (J) riders continue to abuse their cars, but when it's time for an upgrade in the fleet, I wouldn't be surprised if 50 years from now, the (J) would be the last line to get new trains.

The older cars are NOT crap. Well, some of them are becoming crap because they are aging, like the R42, so what would you expect?

Let (J) riders continue to abuse their cars, but when it's time for an upgrade in the fleet, I wouldn't be surprised if 50 years from now, the (J) would be the last line to get new trains.

I guess I was a bit coarse in saying that, they should have kept the old fleet on the (J)/(Z) like what you said.

I don't get scratchitti, it looks like crap and 99% of the time it is illegible. On a sidenote, anyone caught doing should not get fined or imprisoned, they should have someone with a sharp and clean razor blade do a bit of scratchitti work on the offender's body. Fair is fair.

No repsect for the system that takes them to work to school or to any other place they got to go...:(

Tsk,tsk,tsk.

u know that's why after cypress hills u hear this-

"Ladies and Gentlemen, please keep the subway system clean and litter free.

Please use trash recepticles."

"Thank you for riding with MTA New York City Transit."

But do they do that? NO. There's a reason those announcements come on people!

I guess I was a bit coarse in saying that, they should have kept the old fleet on the (J)/(Z) like what you said.

I don't get scratchitti, it looks like crap and 99% of the time it is illegible. On a sidenote, anyone caught doing should not get fined or imprisoned, they should have someone with a sharp and clean razor blade do a bit of scratchitti work on the offender's body. Fair is fair.

Wow, now you're taking it back to old school, rather to the days of Hammurabi!

Tsk,tsk,tsk.

u know that's why after cypress hills u hear this-

"Ladies and Gentlemen, please keep the subway system clean and litter free.

Please use trash recepticles."

"Thank you for riding with MTA New York City Transit."

But do they do that? NO. There's a reason those announcements come on people!

Half of these announcements are ignored most of the time. The one announcement that people tend to follow is the one that barely comes on at all:

"Ladies and gentlemen, soliciting in the subway is illegal, we ask you not to give, please help maintain an orderly subway."

I feel bad for my mom in this case, she always gives beggars money, a quarter, two maybe, or a dollar. She wanted me to give up my last dollar to a beggar, and I was like, "Me, give him MY money? Fuhgedaboudit!"

Half of these announcements are ignored most of the time. The one announcement that people tend to follow is the one that barely comes on at all:

"Ladies and gentlemen, soliciting in the subway is illegal, we ask you not to give, please help maintain an orderly subway."

I feel bad for my mom in this case, she always gives beggars money, a quarter, two maybe, or a dollar. She wanted me to give up my last dollar to a beggar, and I was like, "Me, give him MY money? Fuhgedaboudit!"

LMAO. I've only heard that announcment 3 times. There is always a bum @ crescent st in the mid morning asking for money for something to eat, yet he can pay the fare to get on the station. GETTAJOB!

LMAO. I've only heard that announcment 3 times. There is always a bum @ crescent st in the mid morning asking for money for something to eat, yet he can pay the fare to get on the station. GETTAJOB!

*Sigh*

If only if it were that easy to get a job. He could get some money delivering newspapers though.

My teacher came across a beggar who mainly does his stint on the IRT West Side and if no one gives him anything, he curses them out. One time, there was even this mom putting her young children on the spot, and had them collect money from passengers. It was really sad but I don't take pity on these people, I just don't.

Sometimes these panhandlers and even uncivilized people who like to cause ruckus get on my nerve and I feel like bashing them across the head with my skateboard, and I'm not kidding.

Never have I given money to them. I just keep my distance from them and avoid all eye contact.

As far as the school kids: if at all possible, they should be going to schools closer to home than from one borough to another or use the damn cheese buses and stay off the subways. God knows every time it's around 3pm-4pm when class is out, it is always a zoo in those stations. Maybe they ought to experiment with those Barry Manalow music to drive away the kids? :(

Never have I given money to them. I just keep my distance from them and avoid all eye contact.

As far as the school kids: if at all possible, they should be going to schools closer to home than from one borough to another or use the damn cheese buses and stay off the subways. God knows every time it's around 3pm-4pm when class is out, it is always a zoo in those stations. Maybe they ought to experiment with those Barry Manalow music to drive away the kids? :(

The only time I agree with that is if they didn't get into other schools in the first place. Heaven KNOWS I was not going to Thomas Jefferson when I was still in NY (my zoned school). That's why I made the hour-long commute to Clinton Hill from ENY to Banneker. But I didn't use that as an excuse to cause trouble, and neither should any student.

Oh true, I'm mainly pointing out the public school kids. I've been to parochial schools so it was different. I had my choice of St. Agnes [west side] or Xavier [16th st and 6th Av] HS and chose Xavier.

I don't mind kids using the trains, but they can not be allowed to be in groups larger than 5 people at a time.

Good luck trying to get an idea like that passed...kids have just as much a right to travel in groups as adults...kids should be doin that even more so as a safety precaution. Its annoying how they can act in a group...I definitely know that to be a fact but they're kids. If they get on my nerves that badly i just wait for the next train or move to another car.

The R44s were given countless chances, and are only on life support for another two or three years. I hope the R160s aren't "lemons" in the future like how R44s to this day still are.

R44s are not lemons. They are just as good if not better than the R46s MDBF-wise, and this is info coming from the Pitkin Yard Dispatcher on Subchat...

The people who do scratchitti are not actually artists. These people don't know what real art is. So I agree with you.

Ok maybe not too small, but still it's way beyond out of hand if there's more than 10 together. They should be spread out so they won't 'act up' or just act like asses on the trains. I just hate them for how they behave.

I blame either poor parenting or 'group behavior'.

It's both. Kids who weren't raised properly meet up with other kids in the same predicament at school, and they go home in these groups and show their lack of manners when they're on the train. Once I'm an adult I'm just going to tell these kids to STFU on the train, plain and simple. The only reason I don't do it now is because I'm only 15...

The thing I fear is that though I am older than they are, it's likely 10 vs 1. I dare not speak up in fear of insighting them to turn their sights on me. I'd much rather not have any direct confrontation and if they leave me alone, then I'll take it and get off at my destination.

If at possible I'd get off at the next stop if they are getting too out of hand. Thankfully I haven't been 'involved' with them in any sort of altercations.

Oh true, I'm mainly pointing out the public school kids. I've been to parochial schools so it was different. I had my choice of St. Agnes [west side] or Xavier [16th st and 6th Av] HS and chose Xavier.

I don't mind kids using the trains, but they can not be allowed to be in groups larger than 5 people at a time.

How could you be so biased? I go to a public high school in Brooklyn, commuting all the way from the Bronx, and I am NOTHING LIKE THAT. The public school kids that you have in mind DO NOT represent the majority of public school kids. They represent the group that only seems numerous because of their behavior and actions. You should think carefully about what you say before SAYING IT. Also, is this thread supposed to be about annoying kids in the subway, public schools vs. private schools, and other random junk? Let's try to get back on topic. And if we can't do THAT, then a mod should lock this thread.:mad::tdown:

Alright, my bad. If I offended you I apologize. I refer to 'public school kids' because they don't wear uniforms and just typical 'street clothes'. That's what I mean by when I see kids acting up on the trains. I don't mean just them and lumping you unjustifiably in that statement. I'm stating from what I've seen.

So again sorry. Not my intent to offend, but point still stands no groups of kids should be more than like 6-7 per group. There's no need for a damn mob of kids running amock on the trains [whatever school they are from].

And crazy kids are likely the ones vandalizing the trains so in a '6 degrees' way it is related. :(

Archived