Dell sued after man breaks open computer looking for cookies

Pu3rToRoCk8947

Hey guys i just wanted some opinions on this old story.Forgive me if this was already spoken about on a prior thread,if so does anyone have the link?

August 27 2009Trenton, NJ - There are few technologies as confusing and overwhelming to a certain group of people than the computer. Whether a result of the complex nature of the mechanics or a result of the unfamiliarity with the interface, computers continue to

provide great difficulty to many users even decades after the machines started to become mainstream. Though the day-to-day usage rarely delves into the more complex aspects of the machines many people still find themselves at a loss when it comes to dealing with the increasingly ubiquitous machines.

Dell Computers has made its name by making a concerted effort to ease user interaction with computers. By offering low cost, high quality machines in easy to understand terminology the company has made billions and asserted itself as one of the biggest businesses in the world. Now though the company is being faced with a lawsuit from a very dissatisfied customer who claims that the company misled him which caused him to destroy his computer. At the heart of the lawsuit is a cookie, a term used for a small text file commonly used by websites but because of its name, is often confused with delicious baked goods.

"The heart of this lawsuit is the kind of jumbled terminology so often used in computers and related technologies. In this case my client was inexperienced when it came to computer use and web browsing and so when he discovered a familiar term, acted accordingly. It is the wording that is the issue here and that is what must change," said lawyer Kevin Caulter. "I want to be clear here, my client did not break open his computer looking for cookies because he was hungry. He was under the impression that somehow baked goods had been placed inside his machine and wanted to rectify the situation. It was not explained to him in any way that a cookie was something other than a small piece of text and he did not want permanent damage to his brand new and very expensive machine."

The lawsuit is seeking the cost of the machine and damages up to $5 million as well as permanent change to the 'cookie' terminology. It's believed the customer, whose name has not yet been made public, removed all pieces of his new machine and upon finding no cookies, took a sledgehammer to the remaining pieces.

"For whatever reason computers are very daunting for a lot of people. Cars are just as complex but very few people are overwhelmed by the process of driving them. With computers though the idea of getting behind the wheel is almost traumatic for many people and that causes them to act a little rashly," said Scrape TV Technology analyst Ken Kevins. "Add to that the kind of terminology that is used like 'cookie' or 'bus' that is used in other

areas and you have a recipe for confusion, especially with panicky people. Everyone understands piston or transmission but the kind of daunting and occasionally misleading names used in computing still gets a lot of people."

Thus far there has been no official comment from Dell but it is believed that the lawsuit will have little traction as the company is not responsible for the placement of cookies on users' machines.

"Dell has probably done more than any other company to make computers accessible

to mainstream audiences. There have been a lot of factors that have contributed to computers being in everyone's homes but there is likely no other company that has it

as a part of their philosophy to make computers accessible by everyone no matter

their experience, so for them to be hit with this kid of lawsuit is particularly ironic," continued Kevins. "Cookies are such an integrated part of the way the web functions I think it's very unlikely that they will change either in function or in name. This suit though may prompt other computer manufacturers to provide at least a basic list of common terminology used in the industry in order to avoid future problems."

It's not clear what kind of cookies the customer was expecting to find or what he was going to do with them once he discovered them. His lawyer did state that his clients favourite type of cookie is peanut butter, also the personal favourite of Michael Dell.

This is that morons get rich quick scheme???? If he didn't smell cookies, then he should have asked someone if baked cookies were part of the computer. His moron lawyer should be barred from practicing law, cause he added fuel to the spreading stupid fire. Both should be locked up for stupidity...........

I have to see the turnout of this case. What would give this man the thought of suing Dell over cookies?!?!?! And baked goods at the matter? My goodness, people in this world are getting loopy every single day.

More proof that humans are de-evolving. On anther note, in a recent poll only 39% of americans believe the theory of evolution. This means that 61% of the people polled are stupid. If you extrapolate even further using them as a base for the entire population of this nation, it means that almost two thirds of America has intelligence issues.

Archived