What is the best express bus route?

Forest Glen

As many of you know we're in a recession. I'm behind on my student loan payments and I don't have as much disposable income as last year. In addition, the price of the express bus went up. I've come to the conclusion that I can no longer afford to busfan the express bus. In October (most likely on Columbus Day) I'll ride the express bus one last time. I'm trying to decide which route should have the honor. The X63 is the sentimental favorite since it's the route closest to my house. The X42 is my favorite route since it uses the FDR Drive and the upper level of the Verrazano. I've never been on the X17J or X22. Any other suggestions? Take into consideration time spent on the highway, probability of getting a seat, and easiness of backtracking to Manhattan.

You should also try out Atlantic Express X23 rush hour service between Midtown and Hugeunot.

Atlantic Express buses also comfy fashion seats with decoratived. Even lavatory are hidden from view, but very clean.

I like to ride to ride PM Rush Hour. from first stop at 5th Av-59th St.. X23/X24 should be $5.50 also.

It goes through Lincoln Tunnel, NJ Turnpike, Goethals Bridge, SIE, West Shore Expressway.

Hugenot Av/Drumgoogle Rd bus stop is near SIR Huguenot Station.

The X1, hands down, is the BEST express bus route in the MTA. It's the only express bus route that runs closer to 24/7 than any other express bus route. Besides, it was the first express bus route that I ever took, back one cold, rainy afternoon of December 14th, 2007 from the Eltingville Station to Park Place.

What about the BxM7?

Nope, the BxM7 starts service in the Bronx to Manhattan at 5:00; the X1 starts service at 3:50. It ends service at 1:30 back to the Bronx, the X1, 1:35. The weekend schedules will be just the same, for sure.

It's not going to be the X1. It makes too many stops in Manhattan and it uses the lower level of the Verrazano (though I agree that it has the best service out of all the express routes).

Most express routes use the Lower Level of the Verrazano.

My picks are the QM1/1A, BM5, X1, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, X15, X17A/C/J, BxM4B & BxM7B

You're not too far from me. I live two blocks from the Locust Manor LIRR station.

As for which route I'll choose, I'm definitely leaning towards the X17J

I technically live down the block from the Locust Manor LIRR station but it's a very long block (I have to walk about .4 miles which is only like one third of the block) lol.

It's not going to be the X1. It makes too many stops in Manhattan and it uses the lower level of the Verrazano (though I agree that it has the best service out of all the express routes).

Most express routes use the Lower Level of the Verrazano.

My picks are the QM1/1A, BM5, X1, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, X15, X17A/C/J, BxM4B & BxM7B

WHAT?! I don't know where you guys heard that from, all the express buses use the upper level. On a rare instance, you'll find an express bus on the lower level.

That used to be my station til I had to move to West Boondoocks Bellerose!

You recently moved?

Locust Manor needs a renovation, part of the roof looks very 60's/diner-ish and it's falling off (the wood is exposed) and everything is just old except for the M7 trains that serve the station.

Nope, no express bus route runs around the clock.

damn. Well at least exp buses run on sat/sun for some. I thought it was weekend only...

Never rode an exp bus tho... ><

Tho my fav still would be BxM4C, BxM7, BxM10, X29, QM1

WHAT?! I don't know where you guys heard that from, all the express buses use the upper level. On a rare instance, you'll find an express bus on the lower level.

Seen here are several express routes going via the Lower Level.

also here

...Take into consideration time spent on the highway, probability of getting a seat, and easiness of backtracking to Manhattan.

It terms of times of highway:

-any one that goes to Staten Island

-X38

-BM2

-BxM6

In terms on probability of getting a seat:

-BM4

-X28

In terms of backtracking to Manhattan:

-BM2 (passes (2) & (5) at Brooklyn College, (:) & (Q) at Cortelyou Rd and a short walk to the (L) at Canarsie)

-X29 (passes (D)(F)(N) & (Q) at Coney Island

-QM16 & QM23 (passes (A) at Rockaway Blvd)

-X64 (1 block from Jamaica Center)

Shane, then in rare instances will you find a bus using the lower level, as coming from the BQE and approaching the bridge, a sign reads "ALL BUSES PLEASE USE THE UPPER LEVEL".

From all the times i've traveled to and from Staten Island, I have yet to see a bus use the upper level, perhaps its only northbound buses that use the upper lane.

as for the bridge approach from the BQE, I assume you are either talking about the Willy B or the Manny B, thats because its mandatory for Coach Buses to use the upper level, like those chinabus companies and so on...

Shot on the x6

Archived