-any one that goes to Staten Island

-X38

-BM2

-BxM6

In terms on probability of getting a seat:

-BM4

-X28

In terms of backtracking to Manhattan:

-BM2 (passes (2) & (5) at Brooklyn College, (:) & (Q) at Cortelyou Rd and a short walk to the (L) at Canarsie)

-X29 (passes (D)(F)(N) & (Q) at Coney Island

-QM16 & QM23 (passes (A) at Rockaway Blvd)

-X64 (1 block from Jamaica Center)

The X38 isn't a bad idea. The BM2 is a tad too slow. The BM4 ends in a weird neighborhood that's isolated. The BxM6 is too short and it makes too many Manhattan stops. I hate the X29. I've been on the X64 before. Thanks for the suggestions. I'm definitely leaning toward the X17J but it's not set in stone.

From all the times i've traveled to and from Staten Island, I have yet to see a bus use the upper level, perhaps its only northbound buses that use the upper lane.

Shot on the x6
Hell both directions had express buses using the lower level each time I rode the X1/X10

I also have ridden the X5, X9 and X31. When it comes to the Verrazano Bridge, no matter which direction, drivers go lower or upper level.

Now my input on express buses: The X1 does make a lot of stops, (and the first weekday morning trip is now 3:30 AM) but it's the only one on Staten Island that runs every day.

The X17J is ok. Pretty soon I will ride more....

WHAT?! I don't know where you guys heard that from, all the express buses use the upper level. On a rare instance, you'll find an express bus on the lower level.

Barring any type of construction on the lower level, the only time I've been on a bus on the upper level w/ any type of regularity is the x19 or the 17a/c (even the x17 uses the lower level at times)....

Regardless of that above statement.... my dude, you have it all backwards... it's the majority of SI express routes that use the lower level.... it has nothin to do w/ any experiences either....

Heading towards SI, the lower level leaves you closer to the right most side of the expressway (which, in turn, are where the exits are)... there are numerous exp. routes that either take the lily pond exit or the fingerboard rd exit.... the upper level of the verrazano leaves you closer to the left most side of the expwy... now you tell me how in the blue hell all these expresses (as it looks as if you're claiming) are regularly jumping across 4,5,6 lanes of traffic during each run, to get BACK to the right side of the expressway, to take the fingerboard or the lily pond exit after getting off the verrazano?

If you drove to SI, you would know this.

sry Lex, lemme get back to your OP.....

As many of you know we're in a recession. I'm behind on my student loan payments and I don't have as much disposable income as last year. In addition, the price of the express bus went up. I've come to the conclusion that I can no longer afford to busfan the express bus. In October (most likely on Columbus Day) I'll ride the express bus one last time. I'm trying to decide which route should have the honor. The X63 is the sentimental favorite since it's the route closest to my house. The X42 is my favorite route since it uses the FDR Drive and the upper level of the Verrazano. I've never been on the X17J or X22. Any other suggestions? Take into consideration time spent on the highway, probability of getting a seat, and easiness of backtracking to Manhattan.

- Time spent on the hwy goes to the x22...

- probability of getting a seat goes to the x22...

- ease of getting back to manhattan goes to the 17j... been on the 22 about 10-15 times or w/e... the only thing I hate about it, is having to rely on a S59 or a S78 waiting at that empty lot over there @ Page/Hylan....

- frequency goes to the 17j, although 22's do have a tendency to bunch during the rush....

if you're thinking about traveling via NJ, w/e you do, avoid the x30... that ride is boring (IMO anyway)... soon as you get off the goethals, you're on local roads... and forest gets bogged down w/ traffic @ times....

^^ draw your own conclusion from that bit of info, bro.

other routes to possibly consider.... um, I dunno... looking @ your criteria...

- I'd gun for the BxM7a (I'm sure you know the difference b/w the 7 & the 7a, so I wont explain),

- the x19 is another favorite of mines (but you'll have to get off & walk to the SIRR station for your trek back towards manhattan/queens),

- you mentioned the x42,

- I would suggest the BxM3... but for some reason I favor the ride coming from Getty Sq. than vice versa,

- I don't know if they killed that BxM4b super express run that stays on the deegan, bypassing the concourse... but if not, and if you can catch it... by all means bro...

- could try the QM17... if you're not bent up in the stigma about Far Rockaway... plus it leaves you right there w/ a Q113 ride back to locust manor....

well, I'm out for now... any comments on what I said, holla back.

Archived