Attention: In order to reply to messages, create topics, have access to other features of the community you must sign up for an account.
Sign in to follow this  
lilbluefoxie

Grand St Shuttle Question

The Grand street shuttle during the Manhattan Bridge Reconstruction consisted of 8-Car R32s. All other shuttles consisted of 4-car R46s or R68s.

The Grand street shuttle during the Manhattan Bridge Reconstruction consisted of 8-Car R32s. All other shuttles consisted of 4-car R46s or R68s.

Hmm. Shane, the 6 Av Shuttle was R32s; 21 St-Queensbridge to Broadway-Lafayette. And the Grand St Shuttle was R46s. ( During the 2001-2004 Manhattan Bridge closure)

delete this post....i thought it was the grand central shuttle

u thought wrong ,the (G)rand st (S)huttle used 68's with I blv an orange (S),it's been so long but I think it was orange

u thought wrong ,the (G)rand st (S)huttle used 68's with I blv an orange (S),it's been so long but I think it was orange

It actually used(s) R68s post-Manhattan Bridge Rehab. Usually, not all the time, but usually, when the (D) runs in 2 sections; Norwood to 34 St, and Times Square to Stillwell via Broadway, andthe North side of the Bridge is closed, you will catch the Grand St Shuttle with 4-car R68s. If were talking about the 2001-2004 Manhattan Bridge closure, it was 110% R46 from Jamaica Yard.

Remember, when the 2001-2004 Manhattan Bridge project initially took effect, there were 2 shuttles; 6 Av Shuttle and the Grand St Shuttle.

- The 6 Av Shuttle ran between 21 St-Queensbridge and Broadway-Lafayette with 6 or 8 car R32s, while,

-The Grand St Shuttle ran 4-Car R46s between Grand St, and Broadway Lafayette.

December 16, 2001 comes around, the (V) is born which scraps the 6 Av Shuttle, and opens the 63 St connector for the (F), and the Grand St Shuttle is then extended to Washington Square Park-West 4 St.

Zach

Hmm. Shane, the 6 Av Shuttle was R32s; 21 St-Queensbridge to Broadway-Lafayette. And the Grand St Shuttle was R46s. ( During the 2001-2004 Manhattan Bridge closure)

Christ, I got them confused....I thought it was the (S) 6th ave shuttle that also ran during the first portion of the Manhattan Bridge Construction.

Christ, I got them confused....I thought it was the (S) 6th ave shuttle that also ran during the first portion of the Manhattan Bridge Construction.

:cool:

No guys this was how it was like: Between 2001-2004, the north side of the Manhattan Bridge was closed for reconstruction. Because the 63rd St connector was still not opened, the B and orange Q actually ran to 21 St-Queensbridge until the switchover. After the switchover, the orange S appeared with R68 trains of 8 cars and this operated between Grand St and 21 St-Queensbridge (not sure express or local). When the 63st Connector and the F was rerouted via 63rd st, the orange S was no longer needed along the entire 6th Avenue route via 63rd St. Therefore, the Grand St Shuttle was reduced to 4 car R46s running between Broadway-Lafayette and Grand St. If I remember correctly later towards 2004, they actually put bricks and gravels over the northbound tracks at Grand St, which further reduced the shuttle to one train traveling only on the southbound tracks.

No guys this was how it was like: Between 2001-2004, the north side of the Manhattan Bridge was closed for reconstruction. Because the 63rd St connector was still not opened, the B and orange Q actually ran to 21 St-Queensbridge until the switchover. After the switchover, the orange S appeared with R68 trains of 8 cars and this operated between Grand St and 21 St-Queensbridge (not sure express or local). When the 63st Connector and the F was rerouted via 63rd st, the orange S was no longer needed along the entire 6th Avenue route via 63rd St. Therefore, the Grand St Shuttle was reduced to 4 car R46s running between Broadway-Lafayette and Grand St. If I remember correctly later towards 2004, they actually put bricks and gravels over the northbound tracks at Grand St, which further reduced the shuttle to one train traveling only on the southbound tracks.

The 6 Av Shuttle was R32s. I have a video of it , on my camcorder from July 23, 2001. First day of <Q> and Manhattan (W) service, and (B) service.

it was two shuttles due to the cross over layout. At Broadway-Lafayette, a single switch that allows a train on the Downtown express to reverse out onto the uptown express. the only way for a southbound train to get to Grand Street is to be on the southbound express prior to stoping at West 4th. You take that homeball, there's no going back.

If the line ran through, the switching agrengment would have required an absoulte block to Grand street, including the station stop at Broadway in both directions. Fine for the Franklin shuttle, not here.

In the 80's shutdown, there was one shuttle from 57th to Grand. In 2001, because the three new stations of the 63rd St line had opened, the shuttle had too much of a residential ridership base to operate at the larger headways necessary to clear the single track operation between Grand and the switch north of Bway Lafayette. So they then broke it into two separate lines; from 21st to Bway Lafayette on the downtown track, and then Bway Laf-Grand on the uptown track. Both were South section jobs, though the Grand shuttle used 46's (Jamaica) for some reason, and the other shuttle used 32's; and I'm not even sure whether they were from Jamaica or CI. CI did not have that many 32's at that point, yet these seemed to be all Phase II's; where Jamaica had both Phase I and II. So I imagine they may have transferred more Phase II's to CI, though I never heard about a transfer, and also, the shuttle did not use any of CI's other equipment (particularly, the 40's), and I never saw any 68's on it, but then there were no CI 68's up there at the time anyway. If either shuttle had used 68's, it most likely would have been Concourse, but Concourse was not involved in it.